Popular Tags: [View All]
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the link:
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/6/the-garb...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the spoilers:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Ithaca
NY
flag msg tools
Vigilo Confido
badge
In the pipe, five by five...
mbmbmbmbmb
That Han Solo ability... wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sassycat wrote:
That Han Solo ability... wow
will never see competitive play, but it does look fun for casual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remo Galvan
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Logus Vile wrote:
Sassycat wrote:
That Han Solo ability... :wow:
will never see competitive play, but it does look fun for casual.

Why do you think it's not for competitive play ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are plenty of competitive builds that would suddenly fly a lot differently if they had to contend with a loaded Falcon in Range 3 at the start of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DailyRich wrote:
There are plenty of competitive builds that would suddenly fly a lot differently if they had to contend with a loaded Falcon in Range 3 at the start of the game.

It's an ability that you use once at the start of the game. Then during the match you have a PS 9 (10 or 11) pilot with no ability.

So, if I'm flying against it, I wouldn't be too concerned. For example, if I'm flying a swarm, Han doesn't want to be close to me anyway so I set them up them in formation. If I have an ace like Soontir, so what? I'll token up and fly away to reposition. Not to mention during setup I can try to nullify any positioning on my side by spreading my ships.

Obviously, against certain lists it will make a difference but not against top tier competitive lists, I don't think.

EDIT: Old "Young" Han is much better than New "Old" Han
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Logus Vile wrote:
DailyRich wrote:

It's an ability that you use once at the start of the game. Then during the match you have a PS 9 (10 or 11) pilot with no ability.

So, if I'm flying against it, I wouldn't be too concerned. For example, if I'm flying a swarm, Han doesn't want to be close to me anyway so I set them up them in formation. If I have an ace like Soontir, so what? I'll token up and fly away to reposition. Not to mention during setup I can try to nullify any positioning on my side by spreading my ships.

Obviously, against certain lists it will make a difference but not against top tier competitive lists, I don't think.

Still seems like Swarms are going to have issues though with a Han flanking them at setup. If turn 1 they all hard turn to face him in formation, he can just Burnout Slam past them, and now they have missed an important first joust. If they spread out in setup to keep him out, or if they do different maneuvers to spread out on round 1 they are out of formation which seems bad for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Never underestimate the power of something throwing your opponent off their game. Many players have a very specific opening strategy they go for. Having to deal with Han being who knows where can really mess things up.

Sure, a lot has to do with what you put on the falcon. Also, what the other ships in you squad are. You can't just put Han out there without some power behind him or backup coming in a round or two.

You'll also need a dozen different setup strategies and sometimes not setting up on your opponent's side will be the best option.

Against the right lists you could really cause some confusion. Throw engine upgrade and predator on him and you could do just like you said with your ace, fly away and reposition as their squad chases a fast large base ship. Heck especially against a swarm. If they don't bite, you're right at their flank. If they do, you boost away and now they're out of position which is always good against the swarm.

There are plenty of bonkers strategies. Sure this likely won't be winning any big events, but it'll really screw some people up and be lots of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerardvark wrote:
Sure this likely won't be winning any big events, but it'll really screw some people up and be lots of fun!

This I totally agree with!

I just don't see it in this competitive environment of ordnance and aces. Only time will tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Logus Vile wrote:
DailyRich wrote:

Anybody remember "Han Shoots First" - the list where Han Solo had Predator because nobody ever uses Han's pilot ability anyway? (e.g. if you expected to use old "young" Han's ability, then you're overpaying by 3 points plus the EPT opportunity value for nothing). Having a PS9 Millennium Falcon with no ability (especially with Boost) is often worth it vs. PS<9 with an ability. Put Predator on new "old" Han and you've improved upon the old Han Shoots First because you'll actually make use of Han's ability for a change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
Logus Vile wrote:
DailyRich wrote:

Anybody remember "Han Shoots First" - the list where Han Solo had Predator because nobody ever uses Han's pilot ability anyway? (e.g. if you expected to use old "young" Han's ability, then you're overpaying by 3 points plus the EPT opportunity value for nothing). Having a PS9 Millennium Falcon with no ability (especially with Boost) is often worth it vs. PS<9 with an ability. Put Predator on new "old" Han and you've improved upon the old Han Shoots First because you'll actually make use of Han's ability for a change.

I remember that list very well. What was fascinating about that build, which I think included either Luke or Gunner was that his ability plus Predator gave you options. So if you rolled 3 blanks against a non generic you could reroll everything instead of 1 die. There was some use to his ability.

Dice variance sucks and anything that can help that... I play the VCX a lot with gunner and FCS, and last tournament I had 2 separate games where I rolled 4 dice got 1 hit, used TL, still 1 hit then gunner for 2 eyeballs and 2 blanks used TL and got 1 hit.gulp

But anyway, I just think that his ability won't bring him back into competitive play but I do like it.

EDIT: Come to think of it, didn't "Han shoots first" have VI for PS 11?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love that Finn's ability is to miss
I guess he was a Stormtrooper whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kamekkusu wrote:
I love that Finn's ability is to miss
I guess he was a Stormtrooper whistle

But with Rey's ability, he still has a chance to hit despite himself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the new title will help to turn the falcon into a true arc-dodger, thats where new han's ability to setup anywhere will help for a good start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian K
msg tools
Finn might be interesting on the U-Wing, especially if any of the pilots involve re-rolling attacks. It's not a PWT, so the arc requirement is less of an issue, and they're cheap enough to start that his cost won't push them into the stratosphere.

Edit - Come to think of it, the U-Wing has a system slot. FCS and Finn fit together nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VCX with Finn and FCS. Add Jan Ors to the list in her Hwk. 6 dice primary and 7 dice at range 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dim
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
...New Han title is intriguing... During set up... "he can be placed ANYWHERE that is at range 3 and beyond an enemy ship"??

So, lets say we're playing a game, and Ive got this Han Solo. My opponent has 3 or 4 low pilot skill ties or whatever - he places first and favors a corner. Can I then place Han Solo running along the edge of the opponents set up (within his range 1) facing the ties as long as I'm BEYOND range three of the closest one? I would think yes, as this example is pretty straightforward.

However,

Second scenario:

my opponent as a few low skill dudes again, he places them, and I place my Han Solo in this aggressive spot near his deployment area again - opponent now wants to place his PS11 (from veteran instincts or whatever bonuses) What are his restrictions in placement now? Does Han have to be moved? Or can the opponent place wherever he chooses? Is there effectively a range three "bubble" around Han? Han's card would conflict with the opponent placing wherever he wants.

Discuss!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see nothing that suggests Han would have to be moved after being placed. So if other ships are placed after him, they can go anywhere they normally could. The restriction's only on Han's placement.

Logus Vile wrote:
VCX with Finn and FCS. Add Jan Ors to the list in her Hwk. 6 dice primary and 7 dice at range 1.

Had just this thought. Add Autoblaster Turret and dock a Phantom. Three dice AB follow-up attack. Could potentially two-shot a Lambda or Jumpmaster in a single round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
mb
Sarcasmorator wrote:

Logus Vile wrote:

Had just this thought. Add Autoblaster Turret and dock a Phantom. Three dice AB follow-up attack. Could potentially two-shot a Lambda or Jumpmaster in a single round.

Finn only works on primary weapon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
I see nothing that suggests Han would have to be moved after being placed. So if other ships are placed after him, they can go anywhere they normally could. The restriction's only on Han's placement.

And since the only rule for setup is "within Range 1 of your edge," you can put your ship right next to Han if you wanted to. In fact, there's nothing in the rules that specifically prohibits you from placing a ship on another ship's base during setup; the overlap rules only reference maneuvers. I doubt it would be very useful though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eunoia wrote:
Sarcasmorator wrote:

Logus Vile wrote:

Finn only works on primary weapon.

Jan Ors would make it a 3 dice autoblaster... But Finn can't make it 4 though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blagh, that always trips me up on preview cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
How long till we have an FAQ about using both burnout slam and feedback array on a shadowcaster?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swampy Crocker
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerardvark wrote:
How long till we have an FAQ about using both burnout slam and feedback array on a shadowcaster?

It's gonna be a no go on that. Feedback array is "instead of performing any attacks," but if you slammed you cannot perform any attacks.

Actually, already covered in the FAQ, assuming you get the weapons disabled token "It cannot be used while you are overlapping an asteroid or have a weapons disabled token." (X-wing Faq V4.2.1, page 14).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.