$20.00
$60.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu» Forums » Variants

Subject: What's your opinion on this slight change? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So one thing that is slightly weird about the game (other than all the crazy monsters) is the fact that they bother making a Cthulhu card. It feels pointless to have a card for Cthulhu because it just signifies the end of the game. Plus, you know that the last card is Cthulhu, so there is no tension there. You can just leave that spot empty and it would be functionally the same.

What I want to try is instead of just having Cthulhu as the last Great Old One card, what if the last spot had two Great Old One cards that were shuffled and face down? That way, if you reach the final summoning rate card, there is a 50/50 CHANCE that you will only get the negative effect of a Great Old One but can still possibly win the game. If the summoning rate raises after that, then Cthulhu comes and you're SOL.

I know this will make the game slightly easier, so I think if you combined it with a rule where you start the game with the first Great Old One card face up it would balance out while possibly adding some end game tension.

Thoughts? goo
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcio Ferreira
Portugal
Viana do Castelo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Then I would say to shuffle Chtulhu within the last 3-4 cards, if Chtulhu is ever revealed you loose.goo
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about come up with text for the Chtulhu card that would be near impossible to beat, but with just the right amount of skill/luck you could do it?

ie. put out 1 Shoggotth on a space where there is an investigator and one cultist on each gate.

Then randomally shuffle him into one of the last 2 cards for each game.

Too hard?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goryon wrote:
Then I would say to shuffle Chtulhu within the last 3-4 cards, if Chtulhu is ever revealed you loose.goo
That might be a bit too much tension
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isellsunshine wrote:
How about come up with text for the Chtulhu card that would be near impossible to beat, but with just the right amount of skill/luck you could do it?

ie. put out 1 Shoggotth on a space where there is an investigator and one cultist on each gate.

Then randomally shuffle him into one of the last 2 cards for each game.

Too hard?
Well, the example you gave might be a bit too hard. But both of our ideas are essentially the same. Instead of giving the Cthulhu card its own text, if there is a GOO card before the end game card that would be "near impossible" effect the group would have to suffer. Adding an effect on Cthulhu would also involve writing it on paper or something. I thought my idea was convenient and elegant since you can try it with the included components.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that it should be discussed in the Variants Forum.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Segundo
Brazil
Belem
Para
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
goryon wrote:
Then I would say to shuffle Chtulhu within the last 3-4 cards, if Chtulhu is ever revealed you loose.goo


I Luke this ideia, but, since you got 4 evil stirs cards in the deck, the best would be shuffling cthulhu within the last 3 cards, not 4.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thread moved to Variants
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
paulsecond wrote:
goryon wrote:
Then I would say to shuffle Chtulhu within the last 3-4 cards, if Chtulhu is ever revealed you loose.goo


I Luke this ideia, but, since you got 4 evil stirs cards in the deck, the best would be shuffling cthulhu within the last 3 cards, not 4.


3 Cultists in one place that would get a 4th cultist also reveal a GOO.

1 Shoggoth who moves while on a Gate reveals a GOO.

Those things flip face up way faster than you want them to.

Having Cthulu be anywhere but the last space is going to result in a lot of lost games.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
paulsecond wrote:
goryon wrote:
Then I would say to shuffle Chtulhu within the last 3-4 cards, if Chtulhu is ever revealed you loose.goo


I Luke this ideia, but, since you got 4 evil stirs cards in the deck, the best would be shuffling cthulhu within the last 3 cards, not 4.


3 Cultists in one place that would get a 4th cultist also reveal a GOO.

1 Shoggoth who moves while on a Gate reveals a GOO.

Those things flip face up way faster than you want them to.

Having Cthulu be anywhere but the last space is going to result in a lot of lost games.

Yep, I agree. I'll try my idea of having Cthulhu have a 50% chance on the last spot. I'll report back how it went when I do so.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Keel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be curious to see how this goes. I agree totally that knowing Cthulhu is there in the final spot doesn't really add the tension it should. There's really no need to even have it face down since you know it's Cthulhu.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
heyheyjk wrote:
I'll be curious to see how this goes. I agree totally that knowing Cthulhu is there in the final spot doesn't really add the tension it should. There's really no need to even have it face down since you know it's Cthulhu.


for theme, he isn't awoken until he is flipped
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Keel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, that makes sense. I also have the awesome Cthulhu statue from Cthulhu Yahtzee that I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate into the game somehow.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
heyheyjk wrote:
Okay, that makes sense. I also have the awesome Cthulhu statue from Cthulhu Yahtzee that I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate into the game somehow.
Make it the active player marker.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
I mix Cthulhu with the other Great Old Ones sometimes, and the only effect is when you reveal Cthulhu, you also then reveal the next GOO as well. The game still ends if the last one is revealed, whoever it is. Every once in awhile, Cthulhu is the second from last GOO, and if revealed, the game ends (because you would also reveal the last one).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winston Crutchfield
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It would make things very slightly easier if instead of ending the game outright, Cthulhu signified one last turn for each player.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.