Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Leedy

Westerville
Ohio
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this is a topic that has been talked about before, however I just saw a video that shows print and play cards being sprayed with a polyurethane coating in order to make the cards the cards slide easier and not stick together.

Check out this video at around the 17:38 time mark.

I believe he is using MinWax polyurethane spray. I'm curious if anyone else has tried this and how well it works. It would be nice to be able to fan print and play cards without them clinging to each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes the cards smoother, increases the saturation of the colors and makes them pleasantly smooth. Do it everytime!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leedy

Westerville
Ohio
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a brand that you would recommend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bkahuna wrote:
Is there a brand that you would recommend?

I've used several brands of spray gloss acrylic and they all work quite well. Gloss is nicer but the smell is powerful while you spray and it takes a few weeks before the cards don't smell anymore. Matte finish isn't as smooth but it is more legible and smells way less. I've found that the key is very light coats. I wait for each coat to get fully absorbed by the paper and then spray another very light coat. 2 or 3 coats is more than enough. Make sure you spray the coating BEFORE you glue, the solvents in the coating dissolves the glue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kanazawa
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I concur with using thin, thin, thin layers. Heavy coats take FOREVER for the smell to fade.

Also, I recommend stapling your sheets down on cardboard prior to spraying to keep the pages from curling. After I cut out my cards, I press them flat in a vice for several days with parchment paper in-between. Letting the coats completely dry is critical.

And if you're thinking about spray coating chipboard chits, I've had decent results after they're arch punched by running a bead of clear-drying glue (like Elmers) along the edges to seal the chipboard layers. Two coats will give the chits a satisfying sound when they land.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used Wal-Mart brand matte finish on cards I printed up. Light coats (2) and once dry wiped the sheets off with a towel since they felt dusty. Once wiped they're great. No fingerprints/smudging and easy to read. With the typical lighting gloss is hard to read and matte is the way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boggs
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I ought to point out that this is being done on photopaper

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Watkins
Wales
Hengoed
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starfury wrote:
I used Wal-Mart brand matte finish on cards I printed up. Light coats (2) and once dry wiped the sheets off with a towel since they felt dusty. Once wiped they're great. No fingerprints/smudging and easy to read. With the typical lighting gloss is hard to read and matte is the way to go.

Thanks for this, I recently sprayed some chits for the 1st time and I'm not happy with their dusty feel, so will give them a wipe down tonight.

More generally, how do you know if you've covered the whole card sufficiently?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adriaan
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bkahuna wrote:
I know this is a topic that has been talked about before, however I just saw a video that shows print and play cards being sprayed with a polyurethane coating in order to make the cards the cards slide easier and not stick together.

Magicians usually just buy new packs of cards, but I always have a can of 'fanning powder' ready. It's basically the same stuff, but in powder form. It's pretty great for making OK quality PnP cards, but heavily overpriced at magician stores (as always). It mainly consists out of Zinc Stearate, which is pretty cheap when bought in bulk.

Regular talc works as well, but you might need to reapply it more often

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.