Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse Rockwell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just traded for the game and looking forward to many plays. I'm a bit of a completionist so I'll get all the expansions at some point. Those of you who have a good bit of plays, do any expansions stand out as better than the others? Or should I just get them in order? Not worried about complexity... Just want to see what others opinions are.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonner Purinton
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If nothing else, get Nomads. It comes with pieces for a fifth player and has an interesting variety of extra actions. The base game may feel repetitive and get boring eventually. Nomads revitalizes the game just in case this happens.

Then go for Crossroads. With its multiple actions per board sector, it takes the game to a new level of fun while increasing the overall replay options.

I guess acquiring the expansions in release order makes a lot of sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rockwell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! That was kind of where I was leaning. I was surprised at the lack of reviews on the expansion pages which is why I came here. We've got too many heavy games and need a few more quick playing medium weight games and although the reviews are mixed, I can definitely see this is a game that rewards multiple plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Jensen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Moon 420 wrote:
get Nomads. It comes with pieces for a fifth player and has an interesting variety of extra actions... Then go for Crossroads.

Seconded. The expansions make it a much funner game. Both Nomads and Crossroads are well done and add good mechanics. I'm sad the iOS app is only the base set.

Can't wait for Marshlands and Harvest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW at home we've been playing and enjoying most of our 200 plays with Nomads and have not yet acquired Crossroads (which adds some bigger weirder new elements). (A friend has Crossroads, so when we visit her we play with it.)

Note also that you can easily improvise the very small number of bits for the miniexpansions Kingdom Builder: Capitol and Kingdom Builder: Caves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote a comparative review here: Kingdom Builder after 60 plays: comparing the expansions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rockwell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:

Good stuff. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian K
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go Crossroads first, then Nomads, with the 'mines' and 'capitol' weenies along the way. Islands can be last.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Candace Mercer
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to everything above. You can definitely hack the promo expansions.

Looking forward to the newest expansions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fusilier
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
...Note also that you can easily improvise the very small number of bits for the miniexpansions Kingdom Builder: Capitol and Kingdom Builder: Caves.

Kingdom Builder: Caves saved the game for my wife and I. It solves the problem of getting stuck in a single area quite well, and that was the point of frustration for us both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rockwell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just an update. We've gotten nomads and Crossroads was just ordered. Trying to find the others.

I was really surprised with this game. A lot more depth than I thought but still plays quickly. 5 plays over the weekend.

Thanks for the input all. I'll try to find the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.