Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been holding off on buying this because of the negative things I've heard about the production quality. But then I heard that Rio Grande was revisiting this issue and that it was expected to get resolved. So my question is, if I go out and buy a new copy from Amazon or elsewhere, is it safe to assume that this copy will have better components than the earlier copies did?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
I don't believe so. From my understanding it will be reprinted correctly once the original stock is sold out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Is this safe to buy now?

Maybe someone should poke it with a stick and see?

The 1,000 or so folks on BGG who've rated it a 7 or higher would seem to think it's just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Not true. I rated it a 9.2, and I think the components are embarrassingly painful to use in a variety of ways.

But I don't tend to factor component quality into my ratings, because it's a rating for the game, not for a particular version/edition. For example, I bet the production quality is just fine in the German edition, and my rating has to cover that as well as the US-English one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well then, I stand corrected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Current state of bendy cards:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/22961887
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Jensen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Don't wait. Adventures is a great expansion and adds a lot of great new mechanics and cards. Yes, the cards are more bendy, but it doesn't affect my game play. Nobody in my gaming group has mentioned the bendiness. Not sure they've even noticed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies. Eventually I did end up reading all 12 pages of this thread: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1359225/different-cardstock, which more or less answered my question.

Unfortunately I'm still not sure whether I want to buy Adventures right now or not. But I've got options. I still haven't purchased Dark Ages and now Empires is out. (I haven't purchased Alchemy either, but I may never purchase that one because I don't really like playing with it.) So I can still get plenty of new (to me) cards and not feel like I'm missing out by not owning Adventures.

Edit: Heck, Seaside and Hinterlands still feel new to me. I don't play IRL nearly as often as I'd like, and most of my online games are just with the Base set because I'm too cheap to pay for online versions of the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
TIM0THY wrote:
I've been holding off on buying this because of the negative things I've heard about the production quality. But then I heard that Rio Grande was revisiting this issue and that it was expected to get resolved. So my question is, if I go out and buy a new copy from Amazon or elsewhere, is it safe to assume that this copy will have better components than the earlier copies did?

It is not. The images on three chits were improved but that's it; the cards were already printed, sitting in some warehouse.

I think it will be possible to tell new boxes from old ones when it's finally reprinted, and thus make sure you're getting a new one (at least if you buy it in a FLGS). So if you don't want the bendy cards, the move is to wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Olofsson
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
the move is to wait.

So the only winning move is not to play.

Seriously though, the game isn't broken because of this and I'd rather play a great game with bad components than not play at all. Worst case, I'll buy the game again when the fixed version is out. It's not like it costs a large fortune.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
If everyone holds off on buying Adventures waiting for it to sell out it won't be reprinted and we won't get better quality cards. Aarggghhhh the dilemma.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
I should preface this by disclaiming that I did buy Adventures. I was very unhappy with the component quality (cards, tokens, box insert, inlay) but I bought it anyway.

Although RGG is saying there won't be a reprint of Adventures until the existing printing sells out, my guess is that if it ever became apparent that there were very few remaining people willing to buy the first printing, but a lot prepared to buy a fixed printing, it would make commercial sense to treat the remaining copies of the first printing as a sunk cost (or perhaps sell them at a substantial discount), roll out the second printing and take the money.

RGG would have to be very sure of the situation before making that move, though, and it's clearly in their interests to claim loudly and clearly that it's not going to happen.

I think it's safe to assume that a game publisher understands the game theory of this situation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Tigrillo wrote:
If everyone holds off on buying Adventures waiting for it to sell out it won't be reprinted and we won't get better quality cards. Aarggghhhh the dilemma.

I wouldn't worry about this; Adventures continues to sell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
In a way, I got lucky that I moved soon after Guilds came out. Because of baggage weight, I haven't been able to buy either of the recent Dominion expansions like I normally would, so now I can happily wait until a reprint of Adventures (hopefully that won't be too long in the future). Granted, I suspect that in addition to Empires, some third large or small expansion will be released by Spring 2018. It will be an expensive homecoming (and I'll be dirt broke!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten Robinson
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I got a Dutch set and it's really fine and perfect. If you are worried about the English version, buy yourself a Dutch set and download the English rules then just enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Trouble is, if you're going to use the game in a language the players don't speak, you might as well just proxy Adventures using other Dominion cards you already own!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Candace Mercer
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate the tokens but love the game play. The cards don't bother me. So I would advise you to make the decision based on how YOU feel, not others.

The fun it has added to my playing is FAR outweighed by the quality issues.

That being said, and I am sorry if this is hit somewhere else: Donald or Jay - is it possible to get the new printing of tokens?

BTW kudos on great customer service replacing my damaged insert! my CDO self THANKS YOU!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TIM0THY wrote:
I still haven't purchased Dark Ages and now Empires is out.

Yep! Just wait for a sale and buy whatever. It's not like you only have a 30-day window and have to wait a year to get it after you play! As you said, you haven't played out the dead tree sets you already have. I think once you played the umptizillion tableaux combinations, your great-great-grandchildren might want to pick up another expansion set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
candio wrote:
I hate the tokens but love the game play. The cards don't bother me. So I would advise you to make the decision based on how YOU feel, not others.

Wait, what didn't you like about the tokens? Was it a material thing (like you were expecting, metal, or at least better quality/graphics for cardboard), or you're simply not a fan of the player token mechanic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
I'm not candio, but for my part I love most of the token mechanics. The -$1 token is fiddly because there's nowhere sensible to put it that means you'll remember it's in force, but the others are all great in their various ways.

I guess I was hoping the cardstock, design and printing would be up to the standard of the mats in Seaside, though. And it's a pain you can't tell the Journey token is the Journey token when it's face-down. (Maybe moving it on/off the Tavern mat would have worked better.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten Robinson
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That wouldn't be the same ... It's the image rather than the words that trigger the instruction set ...one might suggest ...imho

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
And it's a pain you can't tell the Journey token is the Journey token when it's face-down. (Maybe moving it on/off the Tavern mat would have worked better.)
You could put a big "J" on the back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Albano
United States
Bloomfield
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So. Without wanting to start a new thread:

Do we have any updates if there is a new printing on the horizon?

And Adventures is the only thing I don't have, and I really want it. If I sleeve, will I be able to tell? And are the tokens that bad quality? Because I can wait a bit if needed(it's been how long since it was released?!), but I have the option for getting it for pretty cheaply and was wondering if I should jump on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If I sleeve, will I be able to tell?

Anecdotally, it depends. If you already know, then probably - otherwise some people clearly spotted it immediately, other groups have used them without sleeves without noticing.

I sleeve in Mayday standards (the thinnest sleeves). I can tell if I am trying to, but not enough to affect game play - no-one I play with has ever commented. I would guesss that if you use thicker sleeves then it would be even less detectable.

Quote:
And are the tokens that bad quality?

I think this is mostly down to personal preference/expectations. I have no problem with the material used for these tokens - some people seem to either think anything other than metal cheapens the product or that the board used is somehow "not good enough".

Some people have had tokens where the printing was markedly off-centre - mine were absolutely fine and I suspect that this would have been more normal (the same way that a few people had cards that were off-colour - mine and, I suspect most, were within the normal tolerances).

It is fair to say that some of the images are somewhat inscrutable. Note that whenever it is re-printed, along with wording revisions (in line with 2nd Edition changes) the tokens are being redone with simpler graphics. [This printing will be recognisable by reference to 1st Edition Intrigue on the back of the box as a source for basic cards needed to play the expansion.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur with James. I use premium sleeves, and my wife asked if a card was different during a game. So you can tell if you're trying. For me, it's hard to tell while shuffling (where it is important to me to feel like there's no chance for me to cheat), but pretty easy to tell when I'm drawing cards (when I can't do anything about it), so I don't let it bother me any more.

My tokens were printed well, and I'm happy enough with them, except they are hard to differentiate if you happen to be using the three with images. With a random setup that we usually use, it's rare to use more than one. For me, the quality is fine, and these never have to be hidden, so wear will not be an issue.

And, AFAIK, there's no news of a new printing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.