Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Awesomepack Big Kids rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: awesome [+] monthly [+] pack [+] Subscription [+] awesomepack [+] [View All]
Jason Winterfeld
United States
Tecumseh
MI
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well I wanted to try out a surprise box monthly subscription. I keep seeing ads on Facebook for Board Game Bento but after researching it I found that the games they give are not customized to me and seem like subpar games. I was going to do Game Box Monthly but it seemed that the games people were getting wasn't worth the subscription and you only get 1 game.

So I decided to do Awesomepack found at Awesomepack.com I just placed my order for my first box and I will check back when I get it and let you all know how good it is. What sold me on it was the ability to customize it to what you want, and the fact that my kids will get something as well. I watched a few videos on it and one lady mentioned in her survey that she wanted to try Sushi Go and guess what they included that month. I am really excited for this, hoping my excited isn't left flat when I open it. I will be doing an unboxing video as well showing what I got.

Stay Tuned for more info...

Has anyone tried this company? What are your thoughts about it?

[geeklist=https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/213857/awesomepack-big-ki...]This is my list of what I got in my Awesome Packs[/geeklist]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin V
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fan of Cartoonist Phil Foglio
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there Jason,

No, I've not tried this company, but I did try a similar one. While I thought it was OK, I don't see myself returning nor trying a different one.

I totally get the surprise factor, and while I might not mind a surprise now and then, I'm not sure I want to purchase my board games this way. In your Awesomepack deal, they do promise a board game, and you have some input, but for $45 I want more than a rough idea. I currently have an order pending at Miniature Market. The value is about 3 of those Awesomepack boxes, with the difference being that I got to pick exactly what I'm getting.

You know, I can see an Awesomepack being a fun birthday gift for a gamer friend, or for a non-gaming spouse to give their mate as a X-mas gift or whatnot. Without a specific game title as a gift idea, a gaming surprise box would be a fun alternative.

Having said this, yes, please do share your experience and let us know what you thought once your box arrives. I hope you get a good game.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Winterfeld
United States
Tecumseh
MI
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well I filled out my survey today and boy was it complete. It asked me questions like what roleplaying game I was into, what games I currently own, what games I like, minimum players and max players, what my kids are into (and if I wanted the box to include anything for them which I said yes but only something small), who the games should be geared towards, what types of games interest me more. It took me about 30 minutes to completely answer the survey.

Now I have to wait a week or so to get my AWESOMENESS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
icechamber wrote:
Well I filled out my survey today and boy was it complete. It asked me questions like what roleplaying game I was into, what games I currently own, what games I like, minimum players and max players, what my kids are into (and if I wanted the box to include anything for them which I said yes but only something small), who the games should be geared towards, what types of games interest me more. It took me about 30 minutes to completely answer the survey.

Now I have to wait a week or so to get my AWESOMENESS!

Just wondering if your box of awesome was indeed awesome? We have a subscription to Board Game Bento, and have really enjoyed having it. I haven't yet gotten a game I felt was subpar, though certianly ones I'd probably not have considered buying myself- but that's the fun of a random box though, isn't it? For the most part, the games we've gotten are simply ones that don't have a large following.

The only box we've legitimately been disappointed in was the 'party' box, the first we received. It was a mistake on OUR part- all the games included in it were very 'loud' party games that just aren't our type. For the right group, they'd be fantastic! We should have known they wouldn't be for us. The other two we've gotten have had a great assortment of games.

Anyway, I'd love to know whether the catered services actually cater well to what info you put in. We'd considered the one that just sends one 'hand selected' game, but like the idea of the Bento more- more variety, more surprise!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Winterfeld
United States
Tecumseh
MI
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have yet to receive it. My tracking number shows it arrives today.... Hopefully I will have a chance to post my contents in the morning tomorrow.

That was one set back though, as I was charged for my second box before my first one arrived. I was hoping to get a feel for the first box before ordering the second, but I failed to pause the membership before the first.

Oh well if it isn't great still on the bright side I get more board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband got me a subscription for the last 6 months. It was OK, nothing mind blowing. Opt out of the extras, because you end up with a bunch of random stuff you would probably never buy in the first place.

Games I've received from various boxes - Urbania, Dutch Blitz, Castelli, Pampelona, classic dominoes, electronic yahtzee, Glen's Gallery, Jab! Realtime boxing....and a couple small random figurines and such.

I personally found Game Box Monthly to be better in that I got more games I will actually play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K J
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems to me you are actually just wasting your cash on something surprising AWESOMENESS you´re not even receiving when you should. You waited for a month for something you should have received 3 weeks ago.

No, get something you know what AWESOMENESS you get instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Winterfeld
United States
Tecumseh
MI
flag msg tools
mbmb
KJ,

I know I thought about that as well but sometimes I can't decide what to buy or force myself to buy something. I like the idea of someone taking my money and getting something for me. It is like a surprise opening it.

That being said I got my box in today. The contents were super amazing but I am actually pretty happy with the selection and I think I got my money's worth.

Now before I mention what I got, I have to preface this with the fact that I asked for some small gifts for my kids and a small easy to play game for me and my wife then a big game for me and my friends. I got just that.

My big game was one I wanted: Star Wars the Card Game
I am glad this one came in, was hoping for Legendary but hey I am happy as this was one I wanted.

My wife and my game was: Archer Once you go Blackmail (Love Letter). I never played the love letter games, and I am not a huge fan of Archer but I think this game will fill what I asked for. A fun game easy enough to play for my wife and myself.

The last game was geared toward my family: Quick Quick, it is a matching game for kids. I thought it was a cool concept as it has one card with a pattern and then the other cards has holes in them that you need to match the animal with the pattern.

For my son I recieved a Batman coloring book

For my daughter I recieved a Shopkins Blind Bag.

I think the value was there as it would of been $40 for the two games, yeah Archer I would not of selected but I like that it is love letter as I am excited for that style of game.

Things I am going to ask for next month is that the family game become a game for me. I think that game will get played by my kids a few times before they lose interest.

All in all I was happy with the box, now I can't wait to play the games and to see what I am getting next month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K J
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to know you became overall happy with it at least. And at least you got a Star Wars game that is most probably quite good, and a few nice extras. Know that some of them are. But some are quite crap too. You are happy with it so must be one of the better ones released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could never do this myself. I know what I like and I would hate to get something I don't want. Everyone in my family knows to just give me money, gift cards, or alcohol as presents.

Glad you came out happy though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Winterfeld
United States
Tecumseh
MI
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ok Saturday I got my second (and last) box from Awesome Pack...

Let me explain why this is my last box, then I will state what I got in the box. I even e-mailed the company to address my concerns with them.

1) Shipping - My first box I got 7 days into the new month, they stated they would ship it within the last two weeks of the month. Well they did they shipped it on the 30th (the last day) and it took 7 days to get to me. This box on the other hand they didn't ship until the 9th and I got it on the 12th. So really really late there.

2) Customization - I loved the idea behind asking the recipient what they are into and trying to customize a box to them. But to straight out ignore the requests and styles of game play they are into is a waste of time for that person. They asked me twice what I liked about board games. I stated deck building and dungeon crawls. I love the fantasy (D&D style) genre. This box didn't even come close to it. The last box was really Awesome.

3) Customer Service - I felt that when I sent e-mails (about shipping and the contents of the box) I was just a number and not taken seriously. The response showed no empathy to me at all.

4) The Value and Contents of my last box - you will see.....

Ok here is what I got in the box:

(For my kids) - Holiday Ornament Craft kits - Honestly this was the best part of the box. And it was the first thing I pulled out. So I started off very happy. The kids loved them and can't wait to make them. They were plush ornaments that you decorated with gems and fabric, and it is by number so it tells you what to do. Great item (valued at $2 each total of $4)

(For my wife and I) - A tiny 4x6 puzzle w/ tweezers to build it - Ok honestly I thought this was another gift for my kids because it is a puzzle. But when I e-mailed them they told me it was for my wife and I to do together. Really?? A small Puzzle?? This is suppose to be a game box... (found at the Dollar store $1)

(Game 1) - Buffy the Vampire Slayer CCG (from 2001) - Their response, "It's Buffy need we say more??" Yes you do! It is a CCG from 2001 no store sells the boosters anymore to build upon the deck and any true gamer knows that starter decks suck and don't have a replayability behind them. I mean send me a magic starter or a Pokemon starter and I would be fine because I can build upon that and have fun. But Buffy??? Oh and the starters didn't come with rules, so I have to google them as well. (on Ebay for $2 per deck valued at $4 probably MSRP of $6-8 but it is from 2001 and off the shelves)

(Game 2 the big game) - Pamplona Viva San Fermin! - Ok as a secondary game I would of been fine with this one. But not in my wheel house as it isn't a deck builder, it isn't a dungeon crawler, and it isn't a fantasy genera. Game is truly about running from the bulls, you try to get the most courage points by avoiding other players bulls and finishing the race. Cool concept and design, not sure if I will ever play it unless it is at a party. Again as a secondary game I would of been cool with this, but my last survey when asked about how I would like my box to be designed I stated "1 big game with 1 small item for each kid", Well this isn't a big game. Actually it values at $29.99, and yet another game already removed from the shelves.

Total value of my box ($39) I paid $45. So I guess if you include shipping I paid for what I got.... yeah not too happy there.

All games I got were old, probably sitting on a game stores lost inventory shelves with no intent to sell...

If Kat Awesome is reading this (the customer service owner of Awesome Pack) I will not be renewing my subscription. I really wanted to make this work, as I loved getting board games and my kids loved the little presents to them. But really how could I invest $45 of my money to getting crap.... The Buffy game really sent me over the edge on this decision. I could of made Pamplona work as it does seem fun to play. But come on if your going to give a Collectible Card Game make it recent so people can collect it as it is in the name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never had any interest in these boxes and this is the reason why. All to easy to end up with a bust.

I do wonder how often the first box when you sign up to a scheme like this is "extra-good" so you tell everyone about it, then they drop off in quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cris jesse
United States
st helens
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've posted our experience on another post here on BGG...

We tried Awesome Pack for a few months, and we got 2 or 3 items we were really happy about. But the entire experience was really a disaster and we will NEVER give them another penny.

Customer service was great and very responsive, until we had an actual problem. Two months in a row our box never even arrived, and there was no communication from them. When we did reach out to them they didn't make any offer to make it right, just told us that it would be coming. It was a couple weeks into the next month before our boxes arrived. Had we not contacted them I don't know that it would have ever arrived... good thing it wasn't a gift to someone who didn't know what was going on.

At $55 after shipping (paying EXTRA for our 3rd kid), we were furious. The only time we did finally get responses from customer service was the times when we said we wanted a refund. Then all of a sudden the weeks of no response turned into a response within hours.

The last box had a "goodie" that was just a wind up muscleman doing pushups. I could only find it online from gag gift stores in the UK. Felt like it was a slap in the face for complaining about their garbage service.

Other than 2-3 good items (which we could have just purchased outright ourselves) the "Awesome" Pack was an awful experience, waste of money, and just felt like someone grab-bagged from Walmart/DollarTree and threw in an old unused item from a gamestore shelf.

Stay away from them, or you'll regret it!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.