Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

My regular opponents and I all agree first player is a very disadvantageous position to be in when playing Speicherstadt. Last night a player new to Speicherstadt pointed out that he and another player were first player more than us other two and this imbalance ruined the game for him. ie it was not fun; the cardinal sin in boardgame design.

Do you agree? If so, do you have any house rules to offset this?

Do you disagree. If so, how do you counter the disadvantage in going first?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree, but you have a perfectly valid point. New players will always be crushed by experienced in Speicherstadt. It's not the first player disadvantage that's the problem.

Going first in Speicherstadt sucks. You just have to bluff harder when it's your turn to do so, and hope your opponents don't notice.

The Kaispeicher expansion negates this "problem" with a couple of cards that allow you to skip your bid order, and put extra workers out, and with the extra row of available cards to bid on. Though that's really not much help, as it's ridiculously hard to find.

Perhaps Jórvík will "fix" this "problem" as it supposedly comes with cards/rules based on Kaispeicher built in.

EDIT: And as wisely pointed out below, if you've got a healthy amount of cash, going first can almost guarantee you a card you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't recall being first more often having an impact on final scores. I have won a couple of times even though I went first in the first round (which meant I would be first more times than others). But I do agree that going first is usually the worst spot in a round.

However, if you have the money, than going first can be good if the critical card you need shows up. Going there first can guarantee it's yours. Other than that, remember that if a player doesn't get any cards in a round, they get an extra coin. So if there is nothing you need on the round before you go first, you could pass on buying cards and use the extra money when you do go first next round.

I don't have any house rules since it hasn't been a problem when we've played. If you can get the Kaispeicher expansion, it includes some new cards that you can purchase that allow you to pass on future rounds (effectively allowing everyone else to play a worker before you place yours) and another that gives you extra workers to use later, so even if you are first, you can still place the extra worker after everyone else has gone to still place last.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Going first is definitely a disadvantage.

However, in many other games, going last is definitely a disadvantage and this doesn't seem to have ruined any games for him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Freshmaker
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, this is a major feature of the game, having to cope with being 1st player on some turns and the possibility of those players after you pricing you out of a critical card, or being last player where often you can get a card for just 1 coin by pricing a cash-poor player out of it. You have to pay close attention to turn order to make sure you have enough cash on your turn to be able to get a critical card if needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hinkle
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being first can work if you place down board in the last couple of rows were money will be less plentiful. Just don't place it above the most coveted card on the board. First simply is the penalty for going last the turn before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.