Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey McC
United States
Central Point
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd just like to offer some feedback on the rules for Incan Gold, specifically an ambiguity that caused some confuision for my first few plays. This is a fabulous filler game, so I offer this not as a complaint, but in the spirit of helping anyone else who might have fallen to the same faulty logic as me.

I prefer it when rules are layed out sequentially, in the same order that they occur in the game. The rules for Incan Gold however are layed out in this order: 1) Declare intentions, 2) Flip a Card 3) Flee the Cave. This caused us to believe that players fleeing the cave were still subject to the card flip. If it was a second hazard, everyone got booted even if they had declared an intention to leave.

This isn't a bad way to play, and it adds some interesting drama here and there, but it didn't feel intuitive. After checking the posts here, I realized that steps 2) and 3) are really an "either/or" situation. You apply the card flip to those staying in the cave, while the ones fleeing take their gems, and the two don't affect each other at all. A careful re-reading of the rules does support this, but to avoid the ambiguity they could have printed the "fleeing" rules as step 2) instead. The flow of the rules then equals the flow of the game: 1) Declare intentions 2) Flee the Cave 3) Flip a card for those that remain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Weintraub
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Lock him up!
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I think the rules are even more backward than that. The FIRST thing should be 'flip a card'. After all, no one flees or declares intentions before the first card flip, right?

So, it really should be:

1) Flip a card
2) Declare intentions
3) Flee the cave

Otherwise, turn one is out of order from everything else, and this way it's REALLY clear that you flee before the next flip, since the next flip is in the following turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Warbanner wrote:
Actually, I think the rules are even more backward than that. The FIRST thing should be 'flip a card'. After all, no one flees or declares intentions before the first card flip, right?
The Diamant rules clearly state you always choose "go or run" before each card flip, although it mentions that "this can be skipped for the first card."

When I play with my family, we always like to keep that first decision, and make a lot of drama about it..."Who is *BRAVE* enough to enter the cave? Who will chicken out and stay at camp instead?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
Warbanner wrote:
The Diamant rules clearly state you always choose "go or run" before each card flip, although it mentions that "this can be skipped for the first card."

When I play with my family, we always like to keep that first decision, and make a lot of drama about it..."Who is *BRAVE* enough to enter the cave? Who will chicken out and stay at camp instead?"

My 3 YO did that one time. He left the cave before the first card, and we made much fun of him. But he later went on to win, (which shows how much luck plays a role).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Dingus
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

So, it really should be:

1) Flip a card
2) Declare intentions
3) Flee the cave

Otherwise, turn one is out of order from everything else, and this way it's REALLY clear that you flee before the next flip, since the next flip is in the following turn.

We had the order reversed the entire first game - we flipped the card and then decided, rather than decide to stay or run and then flip the card. I've now spent hours clearing up ambiguities in these rules (see other Rules posts in this forum and at Diamant - at least 4 other things were misleading). These are hours when I could have been playing a game or doing anything but digging around the forums and re-reading a too-brief rulesheet. Also, the ambiguities and confusion made the 7 players I taught dislike the game and "my games" in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.