GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,924 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Stone Age» Forums » General

Subject: Expansion mods question. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jasenko Pasic
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Sarajevo
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
Playing with 5 players with exp, do I have to use all mods, or I can just play base game with 5?
Would this brake balance, or something?
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never tried it. But off-hand... with 5 players, there are only 4 cards and 4 huts. Someone would get shut out every turn. Also, with only 7 spaces on each hunting ground, resource competition would be difficult. And with only 3 village spaces for 5 people, two people would not see a village space (and player 5 might not see one for the first three turns).

So you'd probably need to rebalance the cards and huts, expand the resource gathering areas, and probably add something in the village, or maybe give a small free bonus to the last player every round.

Things are quite crowded with four - I can't imagine five without some sort of modification. The fact that the expansion adds a fifth card, jewelry, and trading, would seem to bear out that the designer thought a 5th person needed something for rebalancing purposes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
MedellĂ­n
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The components of the expansion are not intended to be separate mods as the OP impiles, and the possibility for a balanced 5 player game is there thanks to all the extra cards, action spaces and mechanics added to the original.

You have to use the whole expansion for 5 players, or else the game becomes too unpredictable for the 5th player on each round, and extremely crowded for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasenko Pasic
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Sarajevo
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks you both. At the end I gave up SA for game night as it was new game for 4 players, and I knew it would take more than 2h with rules explanation and 5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.