Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Montgomery Box
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
So, I played a game of this the other day, and I enjoyed the game, but felt it went way to long. Anyone have any ideas for just skipping Act I? I was thinking maybe giving each character 4 or 5 trophies of skills cards, and maybe 6 or 7 gold worth of cards you can buy from the various towns (refilling as needed). Any other ideas? Am I just expecting something from the game that it's not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How long did the game take for you? It should be expected to last about an hour per player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
azza rein
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Give everyone 4 action points per turn instead of 3. The good thing is that since it is competitive, having more powerful heroes simply speeds up the game without destroying balance.

I too feel the game lasts too long for what it is (I usually play 2 players and it takes 2.5 hours). Ideally it should be a 90 minute affair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Box
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
2 player game, took us a good 4 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Deverash wrote:
2 player game, took us a good 4 hours.

Oh, wow, that is abnormally long. Perhaps it was because it was the first time you played the game. I shouldn't take that long once you know what you're doing.

The next play will still be closer to ~2.5 hours, rather than 90 minutes, but 4 hours is pretty ridiculous, so I can understand your initial complaint.

Give it another shot and see if the game time comes down. Either way, the game starts out slower and then ramps up significantly toward the end, I feel like it would be difficult to remove Act 1. The game itself is a competitive race to be the first to get strong enough and be the first to beat the Villain, so if you started the game halfway through with everyone on equal footing, you miss out on the opportunities to pull ahead.

(Personally, my friends and I treat the game more semi co-operatively and don't generally worry too much about trying to screw the other players over through things like purposely buying items that they were going for, etc. -- But the game itself is competitive by design, so some players do play it that way.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XeyneGaming wrote:
How long did the game take for you? It should be expected to last about an hour per player.

My experience is more like 90 minutes per player, and this is moving at a steady pace. I didn't time my recent game with my fiancee, but it was at least 3 hours, thankfully she really liked it but her response was, "Wow I didn't realize this game was going to take the whole afternoon."

I wish it was a bit quicker, think combat is really what bogs it down, but don't really know what to do about that. With 3 or 4 players, you could have the third player go ahead with their turn while the other two battle it out, but doesn't help with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TyDeL wrote:
XeyneGaming wrote:

My experience is more like 90 minutes per player, and this is moving at a steady pace. I didn't time my recent game with my fiancee, but it was at least 3 hours, thankfully she really liked it but her response was, "Wow I didn't realize this game was going to take the whole afternoon."

I wish it was a bit quicker, think combat is really what bogs it down, but don't really know what to do about that. With 3 or 4 players, you could have the third player go ahead with their turn while the other two battle it out, but doesn't help with 2.

It gets faster as you get experience with the game. Also, some heroes need less thinking

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorenzo Carnevale
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For the OP:
I came to the forum with this exact idea in mind. Have you managed to find a good "starting setup"?
I'd say that instead of skipping Act I completely I'd rather start around turn 5 or 6 with 2 active face-up missions.
Maybe give the players 6 worth of gold/starting gear/skills. It's just a matter of making an estimation of how much the players could have got in those 5 turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.