United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Name of Game: The Gallerist
Number of Players: 1-4
Length of Game: 150 minutes + (45-60 minutes for explaining the rules, explanation, and clarifications)
Mechanics: Commodity Speculation, Set Collection, Worker Placement

Location of Demo: Lakeway Boardgames Meetup (Open gaming table)
Date of Demo: August 27th, 2016

This was my last minute demo on 8/27 as the people who had originally signed up for some different games had to leave and a new group showed up and wanted to be taught the game. There was a full group of 4 players. The group consisted of two experienced gamers and two relatively new gamers who were previously used to games such as Catan and Ticket to Ride.

As this game has a lot going on it took roughly 45 minutes to explain the rules and another 15 minutes to answer questions. The initial reaction to one of the players was the first player had an advantage due to picking the first action and in this case also getting the best tile. The two new gamers had several questions about what actions they should take as the game intimidated them some. Due to this the first round consisted of 2 of the players asking for advice and basically having me provide the advantages of each action for them.

After the first round there were several rounds were the new players basically copied the moves of a more experienced gamer. One of the players focused on collecting pink and brown meeples. Two of the players focused on buying art and filling their gallery to work on end game scoring. The final player focused on collecting tiles based on the few pieces of art they had and worked on pumping up their influence.

At the end of the game the advanced gamer who complained about the first player advantage ended up with a maxed out artist and took second place. As the teacher I felt bad but as this was the third time I had played I ended up winning. The two new players ended up taking a distant third though they both seemed to really enjoy themselves. The only negative feedback other than the belief in a first player advantage were the new players thinking the game took a little longer than they were expecting. (This was their first game that took over 1.5 hours.

As I wasn't thinking about it I forgot to record the final scores or take any pictures. Two of the other people that were gaming on the other table had periodically looked over and seemed intrigued so we ended up scheduling a single game session for them the next day on 8/28.

This second game on 8/28 player

Name of Game: The Gallerist
Number of Players: 1-4
Length of Game: 150 minutes + (30-45 minutes for explaining the rules, explanation, and clarifications)
Mechanics: Commodity Speculation, Set Collection, Worker Placement

Location of Demo: Lakeway Boardgames Meetup (Open gaming table)
Date of Demo: August 28th, 2016

This game played fairly similarly to the game on 8/27. This time the player who thought the first player had an advantage went first and ended up winning the game and therefor felt validated in their opinion of a first player advantage. They again focused on getting a few artists to master and influence to use as cash. The new players spent the majority of their time working buying reputation tiles, commissioning art and working contracts. The final player (me) stuck with the same strategy from the previous days demo and came in second.

At the end of the day both groups thought the production value was fantastic, loved the art, and two of them went out and purchased a copy of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
badge
2010 - Vinhos, 2012 - CO2, 2014 - kanban, 2015 - The Gallerist, 2016 - Vinhos Deluxe, 2017 - Lisboa, 2018 - Escape Plan, CO2 Second Chance and Dragon Keepers - Maybe: 2019 - ROTW Portugal and On Mars, 2020 - Kanban Deluxe Edition and Máquina
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if I missed something, but the first player is the last to pick up a reputation tile from the board.

Thank you for demoing The Gallerist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
La Donn Wittenburg
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The player in question was of the opinion that the first player getting to buy a piece of art as a first action yielded an optimal start and a slight edge. I personally disagree with this but that was the opinion of that player.

For me The Gallerist was my favorite game of 2015.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Grabiner
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Larva_the_shinma wrote:
The player in question was of the opinion that the first player getting to buy a piece of art as a first action yielded an optimal start and a slight edge. I personally disagree with this but that was the opinion of that player.

The first player may not get to buy a piece of art. If nobody else wants to start in the artists' colony, then the first player must start there and do something else for his first action. And if someone else wants to start in the artists' colony, that player must have chosen not to buy a work of art for his or her own first action (losing 5 influence for a first-round kick-out is rarely worthwhile), and must have chosen a better reputation tile than the one the first player got.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.