Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerome Nowak
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Guys,

Im pretty new to the hobby. I've been getting down on some Elder Sign a lot lately. I play most of my games solo. I saw the B/N deal last week and jumped on it. My game is arriving on Thursday, and tonight Im going to start looking over the rule book.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me, maybe some helpful advice...really anything.

Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Watch Rodney's video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2dsq2GsMSs

Helped me out tremendously for my first solo play through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E.

Virginia
msg tools
mb
Wouldn't be a bad idea to check out one of those videos that show how to play it so that you don't miss anything. Having said that it is pretty straight forward.

If you get wounded or insane, you discard all facedown damage of that type, but you keep the face up damage of that type. That was one mistake we were making.

Also all damage you take is face up unless it says facedown explicitly. That was the other mistake we were making.

Other than that have fun. Just keep the Rules Reference handy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Robert
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're an investigator, act like one. Even though it might sound useful to check out every single search token or room on the map, remember you are on the clock here and try to prioritize. Once you hear a clue that sounds like it will progress the story, go after it rather than looking at everything along the way. This will also make the second playthrough more interesting since you can focus more on exploring.

Sanity is overrated, don't be afraid to lose it.

If there's fire, use it to your advantage. You can create a barrier between you and spawning monsters. You decide how it spreads when it does so make it count.

Horror checks (or anything that requires having range) don't work through doors.

Try to choose investigators that complement each other. The game isn't realistic so violence can't solve all of your problems.

Double-team on the monsters. Half dead monster can still attack you and cause horror checks like a full-health one.

There is no time limit on puzzles in the app. Use that to your advantage, if you're in a tight spot just wait on the puzzle screen for an inevitable app crash and then claim victory over the game laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Always click on each Clue / exploration token when it is first placed! Remember you can do this freely at any time, as long as you don't select an option with the 'Action' symbol. Often they will have certain requirements and you will waste actions moving to them only to find you can't interact with them, or alternatively, waste actions moving to them when they didn't require an action. They will also give you a little bit more information that may be useful. For instance, if you're looking for the Study, check all 'Exploration' tokens on the board. Often they will indicate what rooms they lead to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Set up and Play.

The less you know going in, the better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.