Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Parsons
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi! I'm James, an attorney, butcher, baker, candlestick-maker, and avid gamer in Ohio. I enjoy writing brief, concise, easily-digestible reviews for games I've played. One such game is...

CODENAMES Vlaada Chvátil, 2015

TL;DR:

Pros: Easy to teach, can accommodate many players, lots of variety.

Cons: Requires a certain amount of "on the spot" creativity that some players may not enjoy, or may feel pressured by.

Comments:

This is currently my favorite party game. Unique, simple, easy to teach and play, with a great amount of replayability. Searching for connections among the puzzle of relevant words is challenging, and whether you're watching your team either a) make all the same connections, validating your spy-master genius, or b) make horrifically unpredictable and hilarious connections, it is one hell of a fun time either way.

Searching for a con, I've noticed certain types of players can get flustered by the "on the spot" nature of the spymaster role. Still, if a "no-pressure" atmosphere is fostered, it's hard to imagine any group not having a fun time with this.

To part, I'll offer a brief story : We had intended to do some moderate gaming with some friends and family after a holiday shindig, but my wife's 70-year-old Aunt and Uncle decided to stay the night, who are not gamers. We swapped to party games, and the degree of hilarity that ensued with Codenames was completely unexpected.

Any party game that can leave a group of players ranging from 20 to 70 simultaneously bent over with hysterical laughter is an absolute winner in my book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds similar to the experience I've had playing this with my family, including my 95 year-old grandfather, good stuff!

Whereabouts in Ohio are you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Parsons
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Very cool that you had a similar experience. A party board game that can bridge generational gaps is an awesome find.

I'm in Kent, Ohio, which is close to Akron (not terribly far from Cleveland).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.