Zombicide: Black Plague» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Mission 2: Losing Every Time - Help!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Ross
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I've been playing the second mission: Black Book, solo with 6 heroes for the past week and a half (roughly 10 attempts). Being that this mission is classified as Easy in the rule book, I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong.

It seems that each play-through, I'm getting the blue objective in the last room I search and by that time I've racked up plenty of experience and the board is covered with zombies.

The farthest I've made it is getting into the interior cluster of rooms via violet vault but then being overwhelmed by the zombies spawning in the at room.

Any advice for completing this mission successfully?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QorDaq H'Nter
msg tools
tlhIngan QujwI'
badge
vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Which (if any) expansions are you including, and how are you building your Spawn deck? For example; Are you going all in with all of the Abominations and Necromancers including the "Special" ones? Are you using Skeletal Archers, Crows, etc. or just vanilla spawns?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ross
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
QorDaq wrote:
Which (if any) expansions are you including, and how are you building your Spawn deck? For example; Are you going all in with all of the Abominations and Necromancers including the "Special" ones? Are you using Skeletal Archers, Crows, etc. or just vanilla spawns?

No expansions - just using the core game with a single necro. The deck build is the standard out of the box deck. Just vanilla.

I can defeat the necros most of the time but when a wall of walkers gets in the way, then the necro basically Adrian Peterson's to the end zone thus increasing spawn points. I usually run out of walkers early, even with dragon fire taking a dozen out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoskins
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found the difficulty ratings printed in the book to be worthless. I would actually classify this mission as one of the harder ones due to the map being tiny and the potential of 4 spawn points being active, making the density of zombies quite high. The layout also makes it fairly common that zombie groups will have to split and more zombies be added. I would recommend going after the objective next to the green spawn first as it's not active initially and after killing the first necro move a spawn point from next to one of the colored doors to the top of the map, preferably the color you've found the objective for if you have already. General recommendations would be to search early and often and try to spread the experience gained across all the survivors evenly to keep yourself in the blue spawn level for as long as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i dont remember exactly how it played out when we did this mission but it shouldnt be difficult unless you have bad luck on the spawns.

so basically, you first go to the 3 bottom rooms with objectives, only the bottom spawn zones will hinder you at first, which should be doable at blue level. also, the bottom rooms are close enough to be searched in succession.

once you find either the blue or green objective, you can then go to the building with the related door. this will be the most tricky part of the game but the fewer turns you used to get to this point makes it easier.

once you are inside that building, all the zombies regardless where they spawn will always be coming through that door to follow the heroes, lining the zombies up nicely, except for the necro. if you only need to worry about one direction tends to make it easy to control the zombie crowd.

now, you move from the one vault entrance building, to the middle and then down to the other vault, in the process taking both vault items and the black book in the middle while some survivors just keep the zombies following them in check.

another tricky part may be when you enter the middle building depending the level at which the zombies spawn, as you will temporarily be surrounded with these zombies in front of you and the trail of following zombies behind you.
once the middle building is cleared you will be relatively safe.

if you have the enchantment that allows to shove zombies, then keeping the zombies behind you in check should be doable as you can shove them back each turn and thus force them to stack.

then once you have the dragon bile, use it on the stack to reach red level and win.

for the necromancer, if you keep a sniper (silas) outside he can pop out of a building to shoot the necro then move back inside, with low noise he should be able to stay hidden/unharmed. he might not get every necro, but a few is enough. the sniper can also intercept runners here and there so the zombie stack following the heroes will have less runners.

i would say the mission is easy-medium in difficulty with just the core set.

i think your issue is that you seem to want to take the 2nd colored objective, but you dont need it as you can access both vaults through only one of them using the middle room.

another tip; make sure to move spawn zones by killing necro's as to keep most at the top of the map and the 4th at the colored door zone which you dont use so you can determine which way a nexro will follow and put your sniper where he can intercept the necro possibly over a few turns. where you move these can really make or break the mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ross
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the help.

As it turns out I have been playing with a few rules incorrectly which may be leading to my downfall.

First I was adding two walkers for every fatty that spawned. This was causing me to run out of walkers quicker than I should, giving all walkers an extra activation early and often.

Second I was keeping the turn order the same every turn. After rereading the front part of the rule book I discovered that the player may choose the order to activate their characters. What a difference that will make.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bone White
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cobalta wrote:
Second I was keeping the turn order the same every turn. After rereading the front part of the rule book I discovered that the player may choose the order to activate their characters. What a difference that will make.

While the order of the players should be the same just remember that the first player does rotate after each zombie phase, which can also make a difference in how you approach each round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.