BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Best 2 player dungeon game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
I have been hearing about Dungeons & Dragons but never tried it. Then I also heard about Descent and Pathfinder.

Question is which is the best one for 1 vs 1 (Dungeon Master vs player) ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Pathfinder is a full on role playing game like Dungeons and Dragons, but you may mean the Pathfinder Card Game which is a spin off. RPGs are never 1 vs any amount, the Dungeon Master will roleplay the villains in conflict with the players, but is there to facilitate the players' adventure rather than beat them, like a referee rather than an opponent.

Pathfinder card game is a cooperative game, without a DM, where all players play against the cards.

Descent is closer to an RPG in which one player (similar to a DM) takes the role of the monsters and tries to beat the other players playing the heroes. In Descent, the player in control of the monsters has to follow the rules just as much as every other player (unlike a real DM who arbitrates the rules). Descent is probably more what you're looking for especially if you like floor plans and miniatures. You should check out some YouTube videos to get a better idea. 2 players is probably not ideal, but it should work if the hero player takes the role of more than one character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Claustrophobia

is strictly a 1v1 game that's player vs overlord. comes with painted minis and is well regarded as a great 2p dungeon crawler
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Leo
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Any other suggestions? I'm looking for something similar, so I figured I'd piggy back on this thread.

My fiance gets a kick out of beating me up in games, and unfortunately she's not a Star Wars fan (GASP), so X-Wing miniatures and Imperial Assault are kind of a turn off for her.

I looked at Claustrophobia, but it seems a little dry. I'm also ideally looking for something that takes 90 minutes MAX. Preferably around 60mins.

Cry Havoc is looking like it might not be a bad choice--it has a 2 player map. It's not a "dungeon" game, but it does have a lot of combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent 2.0 is best with two players IMO.

Here are some other suggestions:

Level 7 [Omega Protocol]

And if you don't mind the "hobby aspect":

Space Hulk (fourth edition)
Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandonboards wrote:
I have been hearing about Dungeons & Dragons but never tried it. Then I also heard about Descent and Pathfinder.

Question is which is the best one for 1 vs 1 (Dungeon Master vs player) ?
Are you looking for a roleplaying game or a board game?

I'd like to note that in Descent the 'Dungeon Master' is competing against the player which is basically the opposite of an actual RPG.

The Pathfinder Adventure card game is a snoozefest; the RPG is okay if you don't mind a heavy rule-set and don't anticipate playing a long campaign.

The D&D 5e RPG is more beginner-friendly, imho, but it's still no an RPG I'd call 'rules-light'.
The D&D Adventure System board games are quite simple but fun and don't require a Dungone Master. Dungeons & Dragons: Temple of Elemental Evil Board Game is the latest one and even offers campaign play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith

UK
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our favourite dungeon player versus heroes player is Super Dungeon Explore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.