GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,822 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Folklore: The Affliction» Forums » General

Subject: Should I back this if I like Kingdom Death: Monster? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just read through the descriptions of this game and I'm salivating. Looks great! However I must ask; how similar is this to Kingdom Death: Monster? I have that and its my absolute favorite board game. While I love horror, co-op, and story elements I don't want to overload on those things. Should I back this? Anyone help sway me one way or another? Much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There isn't any game like Kingdom Death. You won't find anything similar. Folklore is more like a dungeon crawler. You shouldn't expect something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmmm dungeon crawler. What got me was the story books. Alright! Sign me up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Lamprey
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if you like games like Descent, then you should consider Folklore if you want another dungeon crawler. I agree with the other poster that Lingdom Death is unique at the moment and I feel Folklore is nothing like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Folklore is unique in that you travel around the entire countryside with Choose Your Own Adventure types of encounters punctuated by boss figures to defeat and a plot to follow. Your character will level-up during the game, and how the character levels up allows you to customize your character.

I backed the game primarily because of the setting -- Dark Fantasy, Washington-Irving-style setting in Eastern Europe . . . It also has some mechanics that were unique when the game was announced, but are not as unique now -- such as the story-books and encounters concept. I am hoping that this game is more on the story and less focused on the combat. Descent has far less narrative than I expect this game to have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cmontgo2 wrote:
Folklore is unique in that you travel around the entire countryside with Choose Your Own Adventure types of encounters punctuated by boss figures to defeat and a plot to follow. Your character will level-up during the game, and how the character levels up allows you to customize your character.

I backed the game primarily because of the setting -- Dark Fantasy, Washington-Irving-style setting in Eastern Europe . . . It also has some mechanics that were unique when the game was announced, but are not as unique now -- such as the story-books and encounters concept. I am hoping that this game is more on the story and less focused on the combat. Descent has far less narrative than I expect this game to have.

Narrative to me is big. The choose your own adventure/story events are what sells me. The same encounter book sold me on Above and Below (totally different from this). Basically you throw in story events and mechanically reflect that to some degree in the game and I will fall in love with the game.

Thanks everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Epidemius wrote:
cmontgo2 wrote:

Narrative to me is big. The choose your own adventure/story events are what sells me. The same encounter book sold me on Above and Below (totally different from this). Basically you throw in story events and mechanically reflect that to some degree in the game and I will fall in love with the game.

Thanks everyone!

Having played some Folklore, I will say there is a very good choose your own adventure aspect to it. Others have said it's a dungeon crawler and I don't really agree. There are times when you will explore a dungeon...but from what I played, it's much more about exploring the world and story and developing your character.

And based on your last comment, you should check out Grimslingers, also by Greenbrier Games (and I am the designer/artist).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ssgibson wrote:
Epidemius wrote:
cmontgo2 wrote:

Thanks everyone!

Having played some Folklore, I will say there is a very good choose your own adventure aspect to it. Others have said it's a dungeon crawler and I don't really agree. There are times when you will explore a dungeon...but from what I played, it's much more about exploring the world and story and developing your character.

And based on your last comment, you should check out Grimslingers, also by Greenbrier Games (and I am the designer/artist).

Hi,

I have checked out Grimslingers. Looks like a nice piece of work but the wild west theme doesn't really do it for me. Not sure why but I was never enamored with that.

Folklore on the other hand does sound right down my alley. Horror with some stories thrown in. How long would you say campaigns are? Does the base game come with more than one campaign/story?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Each story is about 90 minutes, and I think in total here's about 17 hours of story (if you don't replay them that is).

I think in the core game the story is more linear, whereas in the expansions it's a bit more open ended. But, having said that, even though there is a linear narrative there are lots of interesting side quests and stuff.

As far as I know anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fluid Karma
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just dropped in to shout out some off-topic thanks to Stephen for his recommendation of Grimslingers. Congratulations and my deepest respect for designing such a game basically completely on your own, if I understood the reviews right. The artwork alone is absolutely amazing. Ordered right away from Amazon UK... Very much looking forward to it. Hats off to you, Stephen!

And sorry for being off topic here, did not know where else to put it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluidkarma wrote:
Just dropped in to shout out some off-topic thanks to Stephen for his recommendation of Grimslingers. Congratulations and my deepest respect for designing such a game basically completely on your own, if I understood the reviews right. The artwork alone is absolutely amazing. Ordered right away from Amazon UK... Very much looking forward to it. Hats off to you, Stephen!

And sorry for being off topic here, did not know where else to put it.

Haha, well thank you very much Yes I did the writing/designing/arting on my own. I don't recommend any would-be designers go that route though it's crazy hard lol. BUT it worked out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.