$20.00
$5.00
$30.00
$15.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Star Realms» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can you both play and trash a card? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Ciuppa

Georgia
msg tools
For example the explorer.
Can you play it for 2 coins and trash it for 2 damage?

Thanks,
-- Brian
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Lapsley
United States
Verona
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ciuppa wrote:
For example the explorer.
Can you play it for 2 coins and trash it for 2 damage?

Thanks,
-- Brian


Yes, the only time you can't is when scrapping a card from your hand (using a red card).

In fact, in your example, you HAVE to play the card first before scrapping it.

Scrap on card (trash can): Must be used after playing the card
Scrap from other card: Either from your hand (before playing) or from you discard pile.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They should have come up with a second term. The trash can icon lets a card scrap itself. It has to be in play (on the table) to use that icon. The red cards all scrap cards either in hand or in the discard pile. When you scrap one from you hand, you don't get to use the ability because it hasn't been played yet.

Scrapping with a red card and the trash can icon are both called scrapping, but they work a bit differently.

(Theoretically, in the future there could be a red card that lets you scrap a card in play. That would probably be even more confusing.)
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
valpocarnie wrote:

Scrap from other card: Either from your hand (before playing) or from you discard pile.


With Colony Wars there are cards with:

Scrap a card from you hand or discard pile
Scrap a card from you hand
Scrap a card from discard pile

They all fairly self explanatory I think.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingArrow wrote:
(Theoretically, in the future there could be a red card that lets you scrap a card in play. That would probably be even more confusing.)


I'm guessing they won't do that due to it being potentially confusing but you never know.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Gartner
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
FlyingArrow wrote:
They should have come up with a second term. The trash can icon lets a card scrap itself. It has to be in play (on the table) to use that icon. The red cards all scrap cards either in hand or in the discard pile. When you scrap one from you hand, you don't get to use the ability because it hasn't been played yet.

Scrapping with a red card and the trash can icon are both called scrapping, but they work a bit differently.

(Theoretically, in the future there could be a red card that lets you scrap a card in play. That would probably be even more confusing.)


I have always called them scrapping and trashing, and was actually surprised when I reread the instructions and realized they were considered the same.

"Trashing" - using the trash icon, ONLY happens after you play a card. Scrapping (without using the trash icon) can only happen if you HAVEN'T played a card - because it is still in your hand or in the discard pile.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Lapsley
United States
Verona
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
benjotron wrote:

"Trashing" - using the trash icon, ONLY happens after you play a card. Scrapping (without using the trash icon) can only happen if you HAVEN'T played a card - because it is still in your hand or in the discard pile.


I like this. Will make teaching other much easier.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingArrow wrote:
They should have come up with a second term. The trash can icon lets a card scrap itself. It has to be in play (on the table) to use that icon. The red cards all scrap cards either in hand or in the discard pile. When you scrap one from you hand, you don't get to use the ability because it hasn't been played yet.

Scrapping with a red card and the trash can icon are both called scrapping, but they work a bit differently.

(Theoretically, in the future there could be a red card that lets you scrap a card in play. That would probably be even more confusing.)


I think the reason it's the same term is in both cases the same thing happens to the card that is scrapped. It's removed and goes to the scrapheap. With this in mind it could also be confusing if they were called different. Red cards have abilities that lets you scrap other cards from your hand and/or discard pile (and this is written on them with plain text), cards with trash icons have abilities which scrap that card when you trigger that ability (and the meaning of this icon is in the rulebook). So if you know the rules then it's simple.
I think the OP's confusion isn't really about the terms but about the activation order of abilities which since most of time it doesn't matter much, I think people usually don't teach it. Also the app uses a different ruleset for this which can also be confusing for new players. I nowadays teach the game with this in mind, saying everything but primary abilities of ship can be triggered in any order and actually show an example of a card with both an ally and a scrap ability.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you forgot about green cards scrapping from the trade row.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.