Subject: Teens and BGG.CON rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
OCD with the Letters in the Right Order!
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the rules are that all "children" under 18 must be accompanied during the con, but can someone clarify how that would work for teens, 16 and 17, at the con? Both my teenagers are interested and we play Euro-style games all the time at home.

Do they have to physically stay with my wife and I all the time? Do they have to play in the same game? If my wife and I ran home (we live in the area) to check on pets, could they stay and still play if we found someone else to "vouch for them"? (This would be rare, but may be a possibility.)

They are both well-behaved, though still teens. (Though I bet some 19 year olds are worse, .)

I am just looking for some clarification so I don't violate the rules here.

Brad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, we live in Garland. We are going to make a mini-vacation of it and stay at the hotel to remove the need to head home at any certain time.

My wife and I also tend to sleep in and I can see them wanting to head down before we are ready. I want to know how much of a problem that is.

Brad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't mind Koldfoot. He fills in whenever MisterCranky is not available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
andrews777 wrote:

My wife and I also tend to sleep in and I can see them wanting to head down before we are ready. I want to know how much of a problem that is.

Brad

Sleep? At BGG.CON?....I didn't know people did such things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
andrews777 wrote:

Brad

Sleep? At BGG.CON?....I didn't know people did such things.

That was true at one time in my life. Know that I am "older" I can no longer stay up forever.

Brad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
do a google site search for kids at bggcon and you will find multiple threads on this topic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen and read a good chunk of the other threads, but it seemed to be mostly arguments about 10 to 12 year olds and a kid with a cat on his shoulder.

Nothing wrong with any of those, but it didn't make it clear exactly what "accompany" meant. I couldn't find any explanation on the signup page for the con either.

Brad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
space is the place
United States
Harlingen
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm no expert on the issue, but I think it would be fine for them to play games without yall. I remember last year there being a few teens who were there with their parents and who did not necessarily stay attached to them throughout the con. I played with one and he was quite well behaved and a worthy opponent. I understand that you don't want to break any rule, but I think that if you believe that your children are mature enough to play games without you, then they don't need you following them around and making sure they stay out of trouble. It sounds like they are old enough to wander and play games that suit their fancy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
tenmaya wrote:
It sounds like they are old enough to wander and play games that suit their fancy.

Unless I hear otherwise, I am going to assume that is the final word. They would probably do better with others who are not us, being teenagers.

Thanks!

Brad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Loyd
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
You are from Garland?

I'll chip in for a taxi to send them home if they misbehave.

haha -- I had to laugh out loud at that one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Loyd
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andrews777 wrote:
Unless I hear otherwise, I am going to assume that is the final word. They would probably do better with others who are not us, being teenagers.

I guess Aldie and Derk will have the final, final word, but I can re-iterate what Tenmaya said. Last year there was only one younger teen that I recall and he wandered to his heart's content. I played a game with his parents and he checked in with them while they were playing. So, while they weren't with him all the time, they did a good job of keeping up with his whereabouts and how he was interacting.

Personally, I agree with you that it is pre-teens and younger that are the most concerning to most folks there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
We've had a few teens at the con, and althoguh not 100% supervised things have been great! If they are well behaved and can act in a mature manner there will be no issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.