$60.00
$20.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » General

Subject: Is fighting a "requirement?" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently, one of my players said he likes the Exploration part of STA, but not the "fighting requirement." It seems that the Federation is most likely to win a peaceful Ascendancy victory if left alone. And the other two rivals know this, and are mainly equipped for fighting.

Is fighting just supposed to be one method of advancement, or game balancing? What are the chances of the Klingons or Romulans winning a fairly peaceful Ascendancy victory?

The Cardassians seem like they will be just another fighting race. But the Ferengi may change things in being a second inherantly peaceful faction.

Other posters seem to be saying that they experience more Ascendancy victories than my group, which has generally seen more Supremacy victories. How prominent is fighting in your games?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Boone
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
Recently, one of my players said he likes the Exploration part of STA, but not the "fighting requirement." It seems that the Federation is most likely to win a peaceful Ascendancy victory if left alone. And the other two rivals know this, and are mainly equipped for fighting.

Is fighting just supposed to be one method of advancement, or game balancing? What are the chances of the Klingons or Romulans winning a fairly peaceful Ascendancy victory?

The Cardassians seem like they will be just another fighting race. But the Ferengi may change things in being a second inherantly peaceful faction.

Other posters seem to be saying that they experience more Ascendancy victories than my group, which has generally seen more Supremacy victories. How prominent is fighting in your games?


I think the Klingons are the ones most reliant on fighting to win.

In my most recent game, the Romulans almost won the game on Ascendancy without being the aggressor. He had to defend his systems from the "peaceful" Hegemony actions of the Federation.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without having played this game, what I know and read about it I would classify this as a pure wargame. That means fighting is the essential mechanism on which this entire game is build.

You can go semantic about it and state for example that the federation cannot invade systems. But they can take them over all the same using Hegemony which, for all intends and purposes, is exactly the same as fighting. Yes, there is exploration, yes, there is negotiations, yes, there is research. I get all that. That doesn't change the fact that this is a wargame.

And while it is technically possible to complete a game without even connecting to one another and having everyone just "peacefully" collect their culture tokens until 1 is maxed out we all know that that is not going to happen. And if it did, it'd probably be a boring experience.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Vardaine wrote:
Without having played this game, what I know and read about it I would classify this as a pure wargame. That means fighting is the essential mechanism on which this entire game is build.

You can go semantic about it and state for example that the federation cannot invade systems. But they can take them over all the same using Hegemony which, for all intends and purposes, is exactly the same as fighting. Yes, there is exploration, yes, there is negotiations, yes, there is research. I get all that. That doesn't change the fact that this is a wargame.

And while it is technically possible to complete a game without even connecting to one another and having everyone just "peacefully" collect their culture tokens until 1 is maxed out we all know that that is not going to happen. And if it did, it'd probably be a boring experience.



War and combat aren't required. The point isn't combat (except for Klingons), it's advancement. Every game does have combat but we've played games that didn't have any combat until the very end.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Lets not confuse combat and conflict though.

I don't believe you need to go out there and have ship battles. You may need to defend yourself often regardless.

That said, conquering planets is pretty much essential.
There is variety of terminology used, while Klingons may subjugate a world through invasion. Federation takes over via space socialism. End point you're still rolling dice against the planet statistics. So, conflict. Basically.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well, its a 4x game, which basically implies conflict/fighting by its very nature.

the trade/alliance rules are too limited to be viable for a peaceful galaxy.

you do need to keep the others in check to prevent them from winning.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guðmundur Skallagrímson
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
For those who have played a few times, how often is fighting limited to a system or two, as opposed to an all out war where a player finds his/her entire empire in danger?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
guthmundur wrote:
For those who have played a few times, how often is fighting limited to a system or two, as opposed to an all out war where a player finds his/her entire empire in danger?

It depends on the group, but many times it seems that there's squabbling over central pathways initially, once the board is connected. It's generally only when someone starts to dominate those key pathways when total warfare begins to break out. At least, that's been my limited experience.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.