Elder Sign: Gates of Arkham» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Cyaegha rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sylas vlad venare
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
and another one of my homebrewed Ancient Ones.

enjoy and feel free to critique.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clever, and nasty!

I'll certainly try it out soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GRS

Poland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles-David
Canada
Mascouche
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
“Happiness is nothing unless it exists side by side with sadness. Two sides. One coin” - 7th Doctor
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! We will try this one out in our next bg night.

Excellent work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Bailey
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I do like the use of trophy points in this fashion. Very clever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sylas vlad venare
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We playtested 4 games in total using Cyaegha. The first 2 games we played with 3 players and won both fairly easily. The last 2 games we had 4 players and after a series of unfortunate Events and Entry effects did cause Cyaegha to awaken both times. We still managed to beat him with only 1 investigator getting devoured in each game. In the fourth game we actually ran out of useful items rather quickly but ended up with a bag load of trophies which we couldn't use due to the 'Buying' cards not showing up. Our trophies were thus largely useless except for health and the final battle. Didn't stop us from winning without much difficulty however.

The card trophy count is as follows:

9 x trophy value 3
46 x trophy value 2
23 x trophy value 1

I've no idea how to work out the percentage of drawing a matching pair so maybe one of you mathematicians can give some numbers. If it's not at least 70% of the time, it's not enough for my liking.

Due to this, I've decided to change the Attack to 'discard 2 trophies or be devoured'. This may sound harsh but Cyaegha's attack doesn't seem to come into effect as often as i'd hoped. So when it does take effect, it should be felt.

Oh, and I've also decided to change his ability name to something more appropriate.

Cyaegha v2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played against the original, "gentler" Cyaegha in Streets mode today. My initial investigators were Patrice and Ursula, both of whom had some amazing successes in various adventures. Ursula was devoured in an Otherworlds adventure just before Cyaegha awoke, and was replaced by Kate. The investigators had only 7 out of 13 Elder Signs when the Doom track reached its end, and the duo only got three hits on the Great Old One before they were both devoured. I used the Grave Consequences decks; although Phobias were never an issue, Epitaphs and Epic Battles both had interesting effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another way you could "toughen up" the original would be to allow the terror effect doom mechanism to work on Otherworlds adventures, which are currently exempt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sylas vlad venare
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
Another way you could "toughen up" the original would be to allow the terror effect doom mechanism to work on Otherworlds adventures, which are currently exempt.

Thanks for the playtest, hope it was fun.
I did originally think about including Other Worlds too but they are normally quite tough on their own especially if you get ones with any kind of blurb or Event so I didn't want to punish players for trying to close Gates. I'm somewhat surprised (and pleased) that even 'gentle' Cyaegha had such a great effect as i'm normally overloaded with trophies but each game is different I guess.
Did Cyaegha awaken due to his Terror effect or was that mostly caused by Mythos /adventures? I don't know if the Grave Consequences had any effect on the game as I neither have it nor Omens of Ice yet. (This is largely due to Ice being extra fiddly and the App game also, and Grave not really having much effect in most games.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I racked up three Cyaegha terror effects in the course of the game. Grave Consequences is pretty neutral overall, and in this case didn't do much other than shorten the final battle. But I had been spending trophies like crazy (and had one new investigator with no trophies at the waking of Cyaegha), so I had no prayer there anyhow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.