$30.00
Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Theory

Subject: Macroeconomics Board Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Felippe Mendonca
Brazil
flag msg tools
Hi, you all!
I'm sorry if this is not the best place to post it, but it's my first post so please take it in consideration.
I started to design a board game with a lot of macroeconomics. Yeah, unemployment, interest rates, GDP,... You'll run a country and will be able to control the economy (no, no independent central bank). I think I can consider it's reaching halfway to the end.
I would like to know what you think of the idea. Would you like to play a game heavily based on macroeconomics?
Thanks!
4 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Yes! Economics was my major during college. I graduated near the top of my class.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Metäl Warrior
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I definitely would! Lot of disagreement in the field on how various policy tools affect the economy, so plenty of opportunities and freedom to design gameplay mechanics.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I'm in.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felippe Mendonca
Brazil
flag msg tools
GeoffreyB wrote:
Yes! Economics was my major during college. I graduated near the top of my class.

Thank you all, guys! I'll keep working on it and if I manage to get it done, I'll let you know! In case I need some brainstorm, do you mind if I contact you?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felippe Mendonca
Brazil
flag msg tools
Jaffeli wrote:
I definitely would! Lot of disagreement in the field on how various policy tools affect the economy, so plenty of opportunities and freedom to design gameplay mechanics.


Thank you all, guys! I'll keep working on it and if I manage to get it done, I'll let you know! In case I need some brainstorm, do you mind if I contact you?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felippe Mendonca
Brazil
flag msg tools
Sagrilarus wrote:

I'm in.


Thank you all, guys! I'll keep working on it and if I manage to get it done, I'll let you know! In case I need some brainstorm, do you mind if I contact you?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
5feira wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:

I'm in.


Thank you all, guys! I'll keep working on it and if I manage to get it done, I'll let you know! In case I need some brainstorm, do you mind if I contact you?


Sure.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
Sounds interesting to me. I'd be curious to hear if and how you've scaled it down to a fairly small rule set.

The closest I was thinking was to give each player a different role in the economy, each with their own rules. But that would be more of an educational exercise rather than a game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Carpenter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It totally sounds like the most amazing game ever and a dream come true! I would live to play a game like this.

BUT.

I worry for you that the subject is too broad. There will be too many moving parts. It seems like the best economic games have narrowed on one little detail. In 18xx that is running trains, and buying/selling shares of their companies. So simple right? Seemingly, but they take hours to complete and are off-putting to most players for their complexity.

Godspeed.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JF Paradis
Canada
flag msg tools
If it is well done - I would absolutely love to play this game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
CoffeeRunner wrote:
It totally sounds like the most amazing game ever and a dream come true! I would live to play a game like this.

BUT.

I worry for you that the subject is too broad. There will be too many moving parts. It seems like the best economic games have narrowed on one little detail. In 18xx that is running trains, and buying/selling shares of their companies. So simple right? Seemingly, but they take hours to complete and are off-putting to most players for their complexity.

Godspeed.



    Macro is easier than micro, but I agree that you'll need to decide what to leave in and what to leave out. Imperial and 2030 do a macro-level financial system and the rules are quite easy.

    I've knocked around ideas for a currency manipulation sim, but that's a far more limited domain.

             S.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
Of course, we're all already playing the one, great big game of macroeconomics.

The rules: You may freely negotiate. If other players team up to establish laws, you may still disobey, but there may be repercussions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
CoffeeRunner wrote:

I worry for you that the subject is too broad. There will be too many moving parts.


This is exactly my feeling... from the position of kind of having tried to do it already.

When designing Austerity I went through several iterations, and at first I tried to model all kinds of things from unemployment rates to gilt sales to balance between service and industry and stock indices and so on... and while some of this worked, it was a pain for the player to have to move all of the moving parts every round/year to keep the engine going.

If you want to make a teaching tool, then it's quite probably worth it, because moving all the parts will give the player/s a greater appreciation of how they all interrelate. On the other hand, if you want to make a fun game, I'd suggest simplifying the model significantly and/or focusing on a narrow slice of it. The less time the player has to spend following rules, the more time they have for the kind of interesting decisions that make games 'fun'.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felippe Mendonca
Brazil
flag msg tools
AnalyzerOfGames wrote:
Sounds interesting to me. I'd be curious to hear if and how you've scaled it down to a fairly small rule set.

The closest I was thinking was to give each player a different role in the economy, each with their own rules. But that would be more of an educational exercise rather than a game.


Thanks, Chris!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felippe Mendonca
Brazil
flag msg tools
CoffeeRunner wrote:
It totally sounds like the most amazing game ever and a dream come true! I would live to play a game like this.

BUT.

I worry for you that the subject is too broad. There will be too many moving parts. It seems like the best economic games have narrowed on one little detail. In 18xx that is running trains, and buying/selling shares of their companies. So simple right? Seemingly, but they take hours to complete and are off-putting to most players for their complexity.

Godspeed.



Yeah, you are right, Rebecca! There are so many variables that is almost impossible to model it. I'm trying to follow this path of narrowing down the variables, which makes it for sure not "real", but the idea is to give some notion of the subject and make people have fun

I'll let you guys updated!
Thanks for all the reply!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felippe Mendonca
Brazil
flag msg tools
Sagrilarus wrote:
CoffeeRunner wrote:
It totally sounds like the most amazing game ever and a dream come true! I would live to play a game like this.

BUT.

I worry for you that the subject is too broad. There will be too many moving parts. It seems like the best economic games have narrowed on one little detail. In 18xx that is running trains, and buying/selling shares of their companies. So simple right? Seemingly, but they take hours to complete and are off-putting to most players for their complexity.

Godspeed.



    Macro is easier than micro, but I agree that you'll need to decide what to leave in and what to leave out. Imperial and 2030 do a macro-level financial system and the rules are quite easy.

    I've knocked around ideas for a currency manipulation sim, but that's a far more limited domain.

             S.




Exactly, Sagrilarus. I'll have to give up on some indicators and some of the "reality"... I'll try Imperial 2030 (already heard of it, watched a video but a really basic one), so I can get some ideas maybe

Thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felippe Mendonca
Brazil
flag msg tools
Bichatse wrote:
CoffeeRunner wrote:

I worry for you that the subject is too broad. There will be too many moving parts.


This is exactly my feeling... from the position of kind of having tried to do it already.

When designing Austerity I went through several iterations, and at first I tried to model all kinds of things from unemployment rates to gilt sales to balance between service and industry and stock indices and so on... and while some of this worked, it was a pain for the player to have to move all of the moving parts every round/year to keep the engine going.

If you want to make a teaching tool, then it's quite probably worth it, because moving all the parts will give the player/s a greater appreciation of how they all interrelate. On the other hand, if you want to make a fun game, I'd suggest simplifying the model significantly and/or focusing on a narrow slice of it. The less time the player has to spend following rules, the more time they have for the kind of interesting decisions that make games 'fun'.


Hey, Jake!
On my research for already designed Macroeconomy board games I stumbled upon Austerity. Very cool! Congrats! It may sound ridiculous, but I'm glad you posted here! I really liked your game!

Yeah, I'm having trouble with what would be the moving parts, but I'll work on a way to make it easier, so the players won't have to look any tables/rules all the time to figure out what happened after their decisions or events...

Thanks! Hope you won´t bother if eventually I contact you to talk about these ideas!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Walters
United States
Fenton
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Please add me to the list of those interested.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.