Subject: Lords of Waterdeep or Bruges? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Theodore Moffett
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Hey everyone,

I am placing another order and getting some games and I have been looking at several that I am interested in but I am not sure which would be best for my group and I. The two that I am deciding between are:
Lords of Waterdeep (I hear it is best with the expansion)
Bruges

I recognize that these are two games that are hard to compare because they aren't similar at all. However, I should mention that I really enjoy worker placement games but I already own a few (Agricola, Francis Drake, and I used to have Viticulture). My brother owns Stone Age and I love that too. Is LoW too "samey" for it to be worth it? It seems quite popular even after having been out for some time now.

The other choice is Bruges. The reason this game might potentially be good for me is I love Imperial Settlers (I hear Bruges has multiple use cards, which I really appreciate in Imperial Settlers). Also, I don't own/have never played Stefan Feld games but I hear great things about them. I recently obtained one of Reiner Knizia's games (Ra) and it blew me away with how sweet it was! I have been much more willing to try out his other games if he can design one as cool as Ra. Anyway, is Bruges worth going for?

I hope my question can be answered! Thanks for all your responses!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Strobel
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep is a good game but very simple compared to Agricola.
Have you looked into Champions of Midgard? It's a little deeper than LoW.
Bruges is one of our favorite games but be prepared to be frustrated at the fact that you want to do three things but can only do one. The multi-use cards in Bruges is very cool. I would go with Bruges.

What kind of gamer are you? Get them both! lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I haven't played Agricola, but I do have Caverna (Agricol's successor) and LoW and they play very differently. The main focus of LoW is completing quests rather than building up your homestead, but there is a very good building aspect to it as well as intrigue cards which stop it being quite as dry as some WP games. There's a little bit of direct player conflict, but then again other player can't avoid being helpful to you sometimes to get maximum benefit for themselves, so it's not rally a spiteful game. Amongst the people I play with it's our most played game. You don't need the expansion but the corruption mechanic does add a really nice extra dimension. It means you don't find yourself short of useful actions you can take but sometimes there's a price for them, with certain actions offering bountiful resources if you're prepared to take a corruption token. There are ways to get rid of corruption but the opportunities are limited. If you have too much corruption it can reduce your final score dramatically. You definitely need to adapt your strategy every time you play. I can totally understand why LoW is still popular, it might not be as heavy as some games but it's fast paced and tense to the very last move and satisfying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played LoW but I do have a whole bunch of worker placement games that I would suggest instead.

I do have Bruges and really enjoy it and many other Stefan Feld games.

La Granja may be another option if your looking for a cool game with multi-use cards.

You are right on the money when it comes to Ra! I just recently got a copy myself after waiting so long for a re-print and it was not a let down at all. I do love auction games so that helped for sure. We love a lot of Knizia games including Battleline, Lost Cities, Tigris and Euphrates, Through the Desert and we have but still haven't played Amun-Re. I just ordered Samurai and it looks pretty awesome as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Keil
United States
Blue Springs
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Waterdeep with expansion is great. But, i would go with Bruges. It's a very fun game i wish i could get to the table more. Just to many games!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Gstrobe188 wrote:
Lords of Waterdeep is a good game but very simple compared to Agricola.

I'm not sure I agree. Agricola is a weightier game, but you're still doing the same things every game, just in a different order. LoW has more random elements which might not fit the ethics of a true Euro, but it does mean that you have to adapt your stategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.