Steve Friedly
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Preface: My wife and I are teachers who love board games. We have been introducing students (and adults too) to the fantastic world of board games for the last couple of years. I mention this partly because we are into team work whether it's working with fellow educators or having students learn to work with others. One last thing. My wife is a big Trek fan so I got her a copy of this game and the expansion as a birthday present.

Question(finally): I'm thinking this game could work well as an introductory cooperative game (blue level then try gold level). We also have Forbidden Island and have used that too. Do you think this could work with team building/team work skills? What are your opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To keep it simple, I will itemize it....

1.) Fun theme
2.) Easy to learn
3.) Teamwork required
4.) Simulated Problem solving
5.) Minor decision making, but required for success

Yes, I think this is a fine entry level co-op game. As for Trek fan co-ops, I would also recommend Star Trek Panic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
I've not a broad knowledge of potential games to draw upon but I do have (and love) this one. Yes, it seems to me it would be good for what you are proposing.
The only downside to this is that, unlike your wife, I know several people who gag at sci-fi in general. Hopefully you've a classroom full of good sports, willing to give it a go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a big fan of cooperative games, but I do like this one, and the reason is that it's the one game that I think best gets across the feeling of cooperation. In all the other cooperative games I've played, the players come up with a plan for the entire group and then everyone just acts it out — and sometimes just one player will come up with the plan and give orders. In Star Trek Expeditions you can make your own decision on your turn, but other players might jump in and say "oh, I can help with that!" It's a subtle difference but an important one to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.