SeaFall» Forums » General

Subject: Re-sealing the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Gibson
United States
California
flag msg tools
I'm half-tempted to take the advice at the end of the SUSD review for this game and buy it, study it, then resell it or gift it to somebody with more time and/or patience for a more intense Legacy game.

The review claims that it's possible to re-seal the game so that it's like new while still learning everything, can anybody confirm that that's the case? Definitely would not have been an option for previous Legacy games so I'm curious what they changed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
gibsnson wrote:
I'm half-tempted to take the advice at the end of the SUSD review for this game and buy it, study it, then resell it or gift it to somebody with more time and/or patience for a more intense Legacy game.

The review claims that it's possible to re-seal the game so that it's like new while still learning everything, can anybody confirm that that's the case? Definitely would not have been an option for previous Legacy games so I'm curious what they changed.

I don't have the game yet but don't the event cards come sealed in blind bags? I'm sure that's just one example of things that will make this infeasible. Honestly, even if it was possible, I don't see a high demand for previously-opened legacy games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
gibsnson wrote:

I don't have a copy myself (yet), but I would think at least some of that is possible. The Captain's Booke for example is where most of the story comes from, and there's nothing that prevents you from reading it. Also, if the treasure chests are like the Pandemic: Legacy boxes, you can open them from the side flaps instead of the perforations to see the contents and then put the stuff back in and close it up.

It doesn't look like there's anything like the dossiers from P:L that have to be torn off to be read, but I think there are some cards that are sealed that you might not be able to easily reseal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You won't be able to return it to it's original condition, but you could return it to a playable condition. The boxes will look opened, and you'd need to reseal them with tape or non-SeaFall stickers. You'd probably want to cut open the ends of the baggies to make it possible to reseal the cards neatly inside them (perhaps you could heat up a butter knife and seal the bags with the back edge?)

But assuming the buyer understood what they were buying, it certainly looks as though they would be buying a serviceable copy of the game (as long as you didn't tamper with any of the stickers, or write on anything, of course). I have no idea how much you'd have to discount the game based on condition, though. It would certainly be inferior to "punched, but un-played", for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt cramsie
Australia
flag msg tools
I've a copy so have played 3 games, opened 2 unlock chests. This might (obviously) change with later unlocks, but I'd be surprised.

Short version: yes, you could open them (almost entirely?) without damaging stuff - one exception. It would obviously have been opened, but so long as you told someone, sure.

I'll talk in general terms about stuff inside of them, but won't give specific spoilers, but still to be polite:

Spoiler (click to reveal)

The extra event cards come in... plastic enveloped sleeves? Not sure of the best way of saying it. There's black printing over the envelope section of the card with actual text. You could take the cards out, read them & put them back in.

The unlock boxes (so far) have *multiple* decks of cards & stuff (extra stickers, etc.). Each separate deck of cards is shrink wrapped - so you'd have to open up the shrink wrapping to read all the cards, but could put everything associated with an unlock back in the box.

The one thing that might (would probably?) be a problem is that the back of the book has a section saying "Do Not Open This Yet" with a perforation. My impression is that this will unlock more map sites with new stories, but we've not hit that point yet. If you opened along the perforation, you could stick it down again, but yeah, that's the only thing I know of that might be a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused.. Why would you WANT to buy it and open it if you are just planning on reselling it without playing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slydog75 wrote:
I'm confused.. Why would you WANT to buy it and open it if you are just planning on reselling it without playing?
He wants to know the game's secrets, but doesn't want to play through a bunch of long, (supposedly) boring games to find out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's a GREAT game he'll be glad he got it early! If it isn't, it goes on the math trade pile or ebay. (Wondering how many games the OPer does this with every year? Just Legacy games or a lot of games?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
I don't think SUSD actually meant resealing it to new condition and selling it as 100% new. They probably just meant putting the secrets back in their boxes and closing (sealing) them again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
Morton Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OR

Wait a month or two until it hits general release, and then simply hit the forums. If no one has posted a full 'here is what's in each box and what the story is', then you post a question asking for it and someone will come along and fill you in.

I hit the Wikipedia page for movies I don't want to spend the time watching but still want to know what the end was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
slydog75 wrote:
He wants to know the game's secrets, but doesn't want to play through a bunch of long, (supposedly) boring games to find out.
Seems like there's more straightforward and cheaper ways to accomplish this though, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Alan Sayers
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
ras2124 wrote:
slydog75 wrote:
Seems like there's more straightforward and cheaper ways to accomplish this though, right?

Right! Just wait a bit and then read all the spoiler threads on BGG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
ras2124 wrote:
slydog75 wrote:

Not if it's already been ordered. I'm considering it as well, but I'll see if I can found up 3 other people (which seems like the sweet spot) to play first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.