Popular Tags: [View All]
Jared S
United States
Lewis Center
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So here is the deal, I want to play this type of game, but in the star wars universe. I bought a crap load of sw miniatures and the campaign books but found them lacking. Is this game a good canidate for a figure swap? I'm looking to purchase the game and basically recreate the board pieces with star wars appropriate graphics and replace skeletons with storm troopers. Thoughts on this process? Far to hard? Any other games that might be better suited for this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Chamberlain
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have thought that Doom would make a better conversion prospect.
It's already SF themed and all the weapons are ranged meaning that converting them to SW type blasters would be easy. With Descent there is a lot of focus on Melee, in Doom the only melee weapons are Chainsaw and Fist.

Other than that I think it would make a fine conversion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
It would take a LOT of work. All the cards, the dice, the special abilities, the new floor tiles, the hero cards, the Force system, the monsters/evil guys stats and cards...wow. Then you have to balance it all and create scenarios...wow again.

If you built this it would'nt really be recognizable as Descent anymore. You could (if you got permission from Lucas Arts) sell it as a totally different standalone game.

Having said all that, I do not mean to discourage you in any way, in fact I would encourage you to do it...since I have a ton of those same miniatures.

Peace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On a similar note, I'll be using D&D Minis in lieu of the ones in the Descent box. Taking the best of the miniature aspect available on the gaming market to combine with what appears to be (still waiting on the game to arrive here) a good miniature based game system, makes sense.

And if not, I'm thinking that with Wizard's yeoman monster figs, and some of the attractive game elements from FFG, in particular
Descent's card based mechanics to control adversity and provide items for heroes, as well as the many boards and props and counters, and hopefully the combat system . . . I should be able to piece something custom together that will fry my fillet.

Anyway, good luck. I for one, am repulsed by the plastic figs in all of the FFG games to date. Especially compared to what can be done with plastic minis these days. And with IAM's nifty card editor in the works, it should make porting over a variety of creatures fairly easy. Don't get me wrong, I understand it would be cost prohibitive for FFG to put quality painted minis in the Descent box.

Maybe that's where we step in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
United States
San Ramon
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I think you're talking about creating a completely new game. The rules for Descent are available at FFG's website, so you could use that for inspiration. I don't think any of the components from the game would translate, though. The fantasy theme is woven into everything. You'd be better off saving your money and using it to purchase some nice resin sci-fi terrain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DooM would probably be the way to go, unless you just used the DooM/Descent template as inspiration for creating something like those games, but completely different!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared S
United States
Lewis Center
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thanks to all who responded. I think what I'm looking for is a space hulk (why I didn't think about that game, I'll never know). So I'm going to look into that system. Good points about the force issue, wouldn't be much of a Star wars game without it. I like tactical games, but I'm just tired of the fantasy theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Though somewhat weak and bland for such an application, the surge system could serve as a representation of the Force. In that case the power dice would become a direct representation of a hero character's proficiency with the force in a given attack style (since black dice are most useful for rolling surges/enhancing the weapon's attack ability, they basically represent the amount of ability i.e. skill level (force) which a hero brings to using the weapon). So though it might not be ideal flavor-wise, I actually don't think the system would be too difficult to modify in order to represent that particular aspect of the Star Wars world.

The rest of the fantasy elements would probably be more difficult, though not undoable.

I haven't played it, but isn't Space Hulk a bit too simple to be a good "Death-Star Crawl" game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So take the dice and character templates from Descent, the board and monster templates from Doom, and voila, add your SW flavour, and you're 40% there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think you'd be better off printing out the online rules for descent and doom, combining them with a little bit of stuff from star wars minis, d&d minis, and heroscape, and making your own maps on gridded paper. You'd save a lot of money by not actually buying descent, and the idea for a star wars dungeon crawl is a sound one. Hopefully Lucasfilm will create such a game at some point in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best of luck with the conversion. What was it about the SW Minis game that turned you off? We've played it, and found it to be a quick, decent game that captures the general feeling of the big Star Wars battle pretty well. Major characters are really, really hard to kill, but not impossible. Generic Jedi seem to be lacking in the deflect blasters skill, but enough of them get blasted in Ep 2 so that's not a big deal.

I don't think Descent would be all that hard to convert. Many skills already could be explained as a Force power of some kind, and if you tied them into surges, it would fit even better. Of course, you'd need a whole slew of new OL cards, and make a tileset for ship corridors instead of dungeon corridors. More ranged weapons, too.

If you are really serious, you'll probably want to check how Doom rated weapons, although bear in mind that armor is used differently in Doom than in Descent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob "Bodhi" Wolff
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually started doing this last year, and got through the design process. I'd post my excel spreadsheet with the conversion, but sadly it isn't on this computer.

Descent was a *much* better fit that Doom for the project!

Melee and missile become melee and blaster, and magic becomes Force. Various holocrons to teach new Force skills, or new lightsabre crystals to add damage, etc.

The critters expanded fairly easily, with melee critters becoming things like gamorrean guards, tier two missile creatures becoming stormtroopers, and tier 3 magic creatures becoming things like Force Adepts.

Chests became Lockers, and the whole thing suddenly took on a life of its own.

The only reason I stopped was because ... well ... frankly I don't know!

Suddenly I want to go back and finish!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unit Lost
msg tools
I know this is an ancient thread, but I've been wanting to do this with the 2nd Edition, and have been working on it.

Rob's ideas are pretty much what I've come up with as well, and it's actually VERY close. Most of the Overlord abilities easily convert to a Commander's/Emperor's scheme and the enemies to Stormtroopers, Mercenaries, Wampas, Gammorreans, Droids, etc etc.

The biggest problem I've had is figuring out how to handle Runes & Magic Staffs (both ranged). I've since then changed both Runes & Magic Staffs into Datacrons that require a Force User (Counselor instead of Mage) and changed its basic ranged attack into Force Push/Shove/Blast etc - different Datacrons (Runes) do different damages. We will see how that goes.

Necromancer class kind of got pushed to the side, but I'm thinking of making that into a Slicer/Droid Master class at some point.

I'm going to buy a copy of Descent 2nd Edition and use the markers/board pieces for now, but hope to work that out at some point. I'm thinking about using a color plotter and pasting the redesigned tiles onto thick cardboard pieces. That redesign will take a lot of graphics work though, and I am going to have to enlist some help.

If anyone is interested on seeing the results, let me know and I'll be glad to share (it's not like it's going to be possible to make money off this with LucasArts/Disney's legal team... haha). I just want to be able to play a Star Wars version of this.

And if anyone wants to contribute some help, I'd certainly be up for that as well! :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.