Will Martin
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm mostly just venting with this post.

Super minor, context free spoiler about the scenario below.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
For those of you who have played the scenario, you will know that there are parts to it that, if done out of order, can make it impossible to turn around given the time limit.

My group has blasted through the first two scenarios pretty handily, but this one we ran against a wall because we had no idea what we were doing until it was too late. As anyone who has played the game knows, you aren't usually given enough time to do -everything- unless you're super lucky, and even then there are some stones you have to leave unturned.

I was playing Agatha and I had the choice of going back to trade off an item to another person or continue looking for the final piece we were missing. So I decided to hand off the item. Big mistake.

After I do that, we lose, and I decide "Screw it, I am annoyed enough, I am going to look up what I did wrong."

And so my decision, my choice of going one way or another... was the wrong choice. And we might have been able to eke out a win had I gone the other direction.

Which frustrates me to no end knowing that it was mostly, if not entirely, my fault.

This isn't a bad thing however. I love the game, and am sad there are only 4 scenarios. Just kicking myself.

By the way, do as I say, not as I do, don't spoil scenarios for yourself by watching other people play them online. I kind of wish I hadn't at this point, but at the same time...

It makes me feel better to know we weren't fucked. I just went the wrong way.

Anyone else have similar (non-spoilerific) experiences?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Re: Escape from Innsmouth Screw Up (No to few spoilers) - Also known as "Hindsight is 20/20"
I'm not really sure what you're talking about.

Did you play with 2 investigators? If so, then yes, it is very difficult to complete this investigation as you have a number of things to do and really need to have investigators split up to do it.

Playing with 3 or 4 it's very possible, although not likely on a first play when you don't know where everything will be.

On a third play, knowing where everything is and how the enemies are going to behave, you should be able to beat it.

Making a general comment (not addressed to the OP) I've seen a lot of strange commentary on this scenario with people claiming it's not clear what you have to do. It's very clear:

Radio the boat in the shop. This will clearly lay out all of the other tasks.

Then, in no particular order:

Light the lantern on the docks (player with Light Source).

Interact with the anachronistic FBI agent (we prefer to call him the Federal agent).

Get the Silver key from the old man.

Ring the bell in the bell Tower (player with silver key)

Help the federal agent in the library.

Gain as much evidence as needed (varies depending on player number) - the evidence is found in:

Killing the Depp One Hybrid at the start of the game (Cult Sigil)

2 pieces are in the shop (one inside the puzzle box)

1 is in the shack nearest the boat.

1 is in the Library.

1 is in the bathroom.

Get to the boat with as many investigators as possible before it leaves or the dock is destroyed by the Mob.

It's very involved for sure and requires strategy but is very transparent. I think some players have suffered by not entering the shop and radioing the boat. As long as you do that the other steps are laid out clearly. If one didn't do that then that is just bad play. Why would you ignore such an obviously important location?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Martin
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Escape from Innsmouth Screw Up (No to few spoilers) - Also known as "Hindsight is 20/20"
Oh no, I agree, it's obvious the second time around. And definitely the third. This, however, was our first and we were at a loss for where the hell to find certain things and where to use them.

But the first time, it's a gigantic bucket of "Well... Crap. I didn't know I needed that..." and "Wait, these don't work here?" and "Wait, I wasn't the one who picked this up..."

Like you said, once you play it, how to beat it is obvious. But until you figure out the steps and where those steps are, it's a frustrating few hours of play!

Not a bad frustrating though. Just a bit stressful.

But until that point, ESPECIALLY when you don't know how the major enemy is going to move, it can lead to some really bad choices that kick you in the toosh pretty badly.

Especially if you have the old keys and attempt to open the far right door with them only to realize that you wasted two turns getting there when, in fact, they don't open that door. Then, send the keys back.. and miss interacting with the one person you need to to get they keys that open up the door you KNOW you need to open but can't figure out where the keys are

Long story short, fun game, but I feel like the first games will be the most memorable. They have been for us, mostly because of mistakes where you're just like "And this... is why it's called Mansions of Madness."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Yes, I pretty much agree with you. The first game of any scenario is the most fun in terms of story and immersion but you're very unlikely to win (except for 'Rising Tide'). We were lucky enough to get pretty close on our first game of 'Escape from Innsmouth' but it was just that: luck. We did everything save ring the bell.

Regarding the keys: it's always really important in this game to check all the tags! The App will usually tell you which key you need for which door. We always click all of the clue / exploration tokens when they're first placed to make sure they're interactable, if they require an action, if they require a special item etc. I think a lot of people forget or disregard that they can check any token in the App at any time, as long as you don't select an option with the Action symbol. It really is quite important to do so to avoid potentially wasting a lot of actions!

I have to say, this is probably my favourite of the scenarios. I like the theme of the story, the atmosphere, the map, which really plays to the former. I like the multiple goals, and I like that beating it requires strategy and and even then will be very close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnathan Gopen
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
High Flying Bird wrote:
Yes, I pretty much agree with you. The first game of any scenario is the most fun in terms of story and immersion but you're very unlikely to win (except for 'Rising Tide'). We were lucky enough to get pretty close on our first game of 'Escape from Innsmouth' but it was just that: luck. We did everything save ring the bell.

Regarding the keys: it's always really important in this game to check all the tags! The App will usually tell you which key you need for which door. We always click all of the clue / exploration tokens when they're first placed to make sure they're interactable, if they require an action, if they require a special item etc. I think a lot of people forget or disregard that they can check any token in the App at any time, as long as you don't select an option with the Action symbol. It really is quite important to do so to avoid potentially wasting a lot of actions!

I have to say, this is probably my favourite of the scenarios. I like the theme of the story, the atmosphere, the map, which really plays to the former. I like the multiple goals, and I like that beating it requires strategy and and even then will be very close.

I love this one too. Especially since its evocative of one of the more well known stories. It's a shame that it's the least variable of the scenarios, but I suppose that must be so due to the intricacy the OP initially found to be problematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Martin
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dalamarth wrote:
High Flying Bird wrote:

I love this one too. Especially since its evocative of one of the more well known stories. It's a shame that it's the least variable of the scenarios, but I suppose that must be so due to the intricacy the OP initially found to be problematic.

I would like to point out that problematic in my case was not a bad thing! Slightly frustrating, sure, but the game is well enough done and the story is enthralling enough that I don't mind being frustrated. Makes me want to play the game again.

Which is rare when for me when I lose a game after playing it for 2-3 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
will witean

Colorado
msg tools

I was kind of disappointed at the end of this one.
the way to escape was given but it missed out on a step.

loved the Riot mechanic of the game.

but at the end would of been nice to know you had to tell the guy to get on the boat.

I found it pays to look at the doors / people so you know what your choices will be before you move to it and find a door is locked or you the person has nothing to say or
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.