GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,824 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Cataclysm: A Second World War» Forums » Sessions

Subject: A Fight to the Finish rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J. R. Tracy
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(This is an amalgamation of a series of weekly reports so apologies if it's a little bumpy and lumpy!)

Scott and Bill opened a fresh test of Cataclysm: A Second World War, with Campoverdi running Germany, Dutch the UK, Hawkeye France/USA, Mark Japan/Italy, and Jim the USSR.

Campo's unique brand of nationalistic lunacy proved strangely attractive to the people of Europe, as he peacefully built an ever-expanding power base under the noses of the dithering Allies. 'Dithering' in this case meant perpetually missing mobilization rolls. Mark's Italians also carved out a chunk of the Balkans for themselves. When the munitions plants finally came on line, Dutch opened the war with aggressive action in the West, setting the stage for the next session.

Kumbaya

In the Far East, Mark turned toward China, consuming half the country thanks to ample air and armor support. Uncle Joe looked on with concern but has yet to act. The US was far from entering the war and the other Western powers had other matters to attend to, so it remained to be seen how much progress the Emperor could make before the rest of the table responded.

Playing the China card

After simmering in the Far East for a few turns, the war became truly global when France seized the lightly held Ruhr while Comrade Campagna led the Soviets into the war by invading Poland and Romania. British troops fought their way into Berlin before being thrown back, only to be replaced by Russians advancing from the east. Germany took Poland from the south to pinch off the spearhead and retrieve the situation, but even Goebbels was struggling to put a positive spin on recent developments.

Red Army rolling

Meanwhile, Japan had the China situation under control, having chased Mao's columns into the hills. The Soviets were getting involved, however, and the US Navy began applying pressure from the sea, briefly cutting off the Home Islands and becoming a threat to mainland operations.

Tensions mount

Germany was hanging on by a thread, Italy was threatened, and Japan itself feared invasion. The tide had definitely turned but with just one turn remaining (1945-46) the Allies still had their work cut out for them.

Trouble offshore

We had an action packed final turn. I took over Japan and Italy from Mark as the war advanced into 1945. With no resources or industrial capacity, Campoverdi's Germany was reeling. Italy held her home territory along with the Balkans, but Dutch and Hawkeye were on the doorstep with Commonwealth, French, and American might. Jim's USSR was in the best position - he sat in Berlin and faced thin Japanese opposition in Mongolia and China, while Japan contended with an ever-stronger USN.

Storming the boot

Outnumbered and outgunned, the Axis still put up a good fight. A relentless barrage of sixes threw back several Allied attacks against Italy, while the IJN performed heroic feats against the US in the Ryukyus and the Sea of Japan. Japanese land forces fared worse, however, getting rolled by a surging Red Army. The Axis VP lead was quickly overwhelmed and the Soviets pulled in front.

Uncle Joe piles on

Unfortunately I couldn't roll a six *every* time so the Western Allies eventually took Sicily and Lombardy. Italy failed her Collapse roll and I was forced to offer an Armistice. The greedy Allies refused, hoping to capture Rome and its two VPs. Out east, the Soviet steamroller slowed to a halt but the IJN carrier force slipped beneath the waves, leaving only surface assets to face the Fifth Fleet. Hawkeye turned his attention to the Home Islands, failing repeated invasion attempts.

Redeploying to the CBI

Three of four Crisis chits were drawn - the fourth would end the game. The Axis clawed back into a tie when Campo's erotic sonnets were well received in Bucharest, flipping Romania from Soviet client to German lackey. We even had a shot at pulling into the lead but a Japanese attempt to retake Manchuria and an Italian counterattack into Sicily were both rebuffed. The Soviets managed one more offensive before the final Crisis chit emerged, using it to retake Romania. The Crisis chit followed, ending the game with a Soviet victory. The final tally was USSR 11, Axis 9, Western Allies 8.

Reaping the whirlwind

It was an exciting final turn, due largely to smokin' hot Italian and Japanese combat dice. The dominant Soviet position forced the Western Allies to declare war, but they just couldn't come to grips with the Reds. It was gratifying to see the Axis still had a glimmer of hope at the end, at least something that made it worth playing on. At this point the basic systems are proven, and all that remains is confirming the powers are reasonably balanced. I think Scott and Bill are pretty comfortable with where things stand. Just a few more preorders to go before this enters the GMT production pipeline.

The new face of Europe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who have not been involved in playtesting and are bemused by the following...

jrtracy wrote:
The Axis clawed back into a tie when Campo's erotic sonnets were well received in Bucharest, flipping Romania from Soviet client to German lackey.

The erotic sonnets rule for Cataclysm will be part of an expansion module. Look for it on the first day of the fourth month in the year after the release of Cataclysm. You will need proof that you are over 18.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Timmerman
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of me really wants to order this game since it sounds so interesting but my rational side knows I'll have a lot of trouble getting it to the table with my gaming group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could play it solo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
92 8 13 10/19/89
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for consolidating this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Grady
United States
Jacksonville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am getting excited as the game closes in on 500 pledges (did it make it yet? ...was at 493 or so on Sep 1).

My son and I joined Scott in demoing this in early in 2015 at GMT East and I pledged for it as soon as I got home. Really enjoyed it then, can't wait to get it on the schedule and get it produced so we can play it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawkeye
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeekDadGamer wrote:
I am getting excited as the game closes in on 500 pledges (did it make it yet? ...was at 493 or so on Sep 1).

It did!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.