Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Super_whiny [+] [View All]
Jacob Yackenovich
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The last official update on Ares' site is http://www.aresgames.eu/16433 from a while ago with "September" as the release reschedule, while the pledge manager page goes a bit more specific with September 15, 2016:http://ks.aresgames.eu/product/war-of-the-ring-2nd-edition-a....

Now that it's September, anyone hear/see more recent updates for the Anniversary Edition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael S
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Jacob, there are a couple of threads open on this topic you may want to follow. Sometimes there is useful info other times its a bunch of people being sarcastic with one another.

Here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1602811/anniversary-edition...

And here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1605515/anniversary-edition...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Yackenovich
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Michael! Agreed, tons of sarcasm in the threads.

Looks like someone had a response from Ares just yesterday:
Quote:
We'll ship WOTR Anniversary Release from the China Factory to our warehouses at September.

If I am interpreting correctly:
China Factory --> Ares warehouses. Shipment starts no later than 30-Sep-2016. Which means a september delivery to those that prepurchased is not a viable timeline.

I can't tell if "our warehouses" mean Ares Games’ warehouse in the U.S. or elsewhere. Being an optimist, let's say a calendar month or two for the units to go from the warehouses to the folks that prepurchased the game.

So best case scenario, we're looking at a delivery timeframe of 4Q16, worse case 1Q17.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sesta
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If we can get it before Christmas I'd be pleased. As was pointed out in the other thread somewhere they previously stated that shipping from China factory to customer would be about a two month turn around. Here's hoping!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Kiser
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
I am rather miffed by Ares and while I'll not practice an all-out boycott of them, I will be largely reticent to ever do business with them again over this release. I forgave them in the spring when they pushed the date 6 months but it costs next to nothing to compose a monthly or bi-monthly email to those folks you deferred to keep them up to date. I have received nothing from them and, other than this thread, have found nothing official on their site. If they're so busy that they can't be bothered to concern themselves with customers who forked over $400 for a board game then they can take a flying leap off a cliff as far as I am concerned. I will wait for this game and then never look at Ares again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Lucas
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kisertn1 wrote:
I am rather miffed by Ares and while I'll not practice an all-out boycott of them, I will be largely reticent to ever do business with them again over this release. I forgave them in the spring when they pushed the date 6 months but it costs next to nothing to compose a monthly or bi-monthly email to those folks you deferred to keep them up to date. I have received nothing from them and, other than this thread, have found nothing official on their site. If they're so busy that they can't be bothered to concern themselves with customers who forked over $400 for a board game then they can take a flying leap off a cliff as far as I am concerned. I will wait for this game and then never look at Ares again.

I don't have the willpower to boycott anything War of the Ring
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed Cameron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't a Kickstarter. People need to stop expecting it to be treated like one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InkSplat wrote:
This isn't a Kickstarter. People need to stop expecting it to be treated like one.

Right.

I expect it to be treated like something MUCH better for the consumer than a Kickstarter.

Ares got the money immediately with no cut from Kickstarter. They have no middleman wholesaler.

They should be able to at least update their hapless customers with whatever new date they have dreamed up to deliver the product.

On their Sword and Sorcery Kickstarter, they offered 46 updates so far. We can't even get 2 in a year?

Understand that I am only talking about what I would do for my own customers as a hopefully decent human being (especially after badly misleading those customers on delivery date once). I realize that other folks have a different opinion and they have voiced that opinion in various threads here like:

I ordered my pizza 2 hours ago and I am giddy with happiness that it still isn't here!!!

or

Why can't the cable repairman be any later?

or

It's just a donated organ, what's the fricking hurry?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lancemoody wrote:

It's just a donated organ, what's the fricking hurry?

But don't worry, once the kidney arrives, it will TOTALLY have been worth the wait!

Edit: While I am not a backer, er purchaser, of the Anniversary Edition, I do agree with Lance. It really should be quite simple to post a simple update here or on Ares' page and it goes a long, long way towards keeping paying customers happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean S
msg tools
mb
There is a subset of the board gaming community that seem to not care at all about delays or lack of communication.

I often find myself wondering whether they accept shitty service in all the other aspects of their lives (as Lance insinuated). If it turns out your food at a restaurant will take an hour, would you be OK with that? Would you want your waiter to tell you this information?

I have backed nearly a dozen things on kickstarter (not record breaking but enough to know the game), and I largely accept certain issues as just a part of kickstarter, board game or not. Delays, for example, are almost par for the course. Particularly when the creator is new and inexperienced, and/or they get more interest than they were prepared for. Neither is the case here.

Ares Games is pretty well established. They set a cap on pre-orders which their communication/advertising made very clear they intended to hit quickly. They have even already created a VERY similar product in the past. It is hard to understand how they could be so wrong, and particularly hard to understand why they cannot communicate. $400 is no "oops they put ketchup on my burger oh well" chump change. Is it really asking a lot for them to have actually sent out an email to those that pre-ordered when these delays occurred? You have to stalk their website, their facebook, and BGG for the hopes of getting any information at all.

As far as we know, we have been waiting on the rulebook and strategy book for the past 7 months, considering they stated in January that all the minis were painted and the components (minus the books) were nearly done.

As far as someone that doesn't scour the web for information knows, they should have gotten their game months ago and it must be lost in the mail, because again Ares did not actually reach out to communicate anything to customers.

It has been a week and a half since they said on facebook they would post an update "soon."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Appreciate the above.

Actually they earlier said that they hoped to have an update by the end of August.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean S
msg tools
mb
lancemoody wrote:
Appreciate the above.

Actually they earlier said that they hoped to have an update by the end of August.

Yes true. Then on August 29th they said "soon."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
First. World. Problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean S
msg tools
mb
Rafamir wrote:
First. World. Problems.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1405665/ce-display-coffee-t...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Folgrim wrote:

Trolling aside, I too am eagerly awaiting my AE order ... the CE has served me well but I am looking to downsize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rafamir wrote:
Trolling aside, I too am eagerly awaiting my AE order ... the CE has served me well but I am looking to downsize.

I call DIBS on his CE then...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean S
msg tools
mb
They finally posted an update. Late November/early December.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Hatt
France
Brest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here it is

" If you do not care much about “why” we are late but you only really want to know “when” – the answer is we’re now expecting to ship the game from China in 6 to 8 weeks from now, around the end of October. Typically, the transit time to warehouses is another 4-6 weeks, which means the game will ship around the end of November/early December to your home"

http://www.aresgames.eu/17281
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael S
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mathhatt wrote:
Here it is

" If you do not care much about “why” we are late but you only really want to know “when” – the answer is we’re now expecting to ship the game from China in 6 to 8 weeks from now, around the end of October. Typically, the transit time to warehouses is another 4-6 weeks, which means the game will ship around the end of November/early December to your home"

Cant even begin to imagine the headache that is this...

"To do so, we added a lot of production features which you rarely see together – UV masks, metal foil printing, cloth paper, multiple materials used in binding. To get all this to work together and to achieve the effect we desired, we took a lot of tests and trials. Many of these items had to be done and modified multiple times, before we were really happy with the results (this is not to mention the painted figures, the complex plastic trays holding them, the special dice, the embroidered cloth bag – other things we had mostly get done and finished already)."

I personally am in the camp of get the thing RIGHT ship it to me whenever. This is something I will have for a long time and it should be done right.

At first I wasnt crazy about the box art change but I think Im ok with it. Really looking forward to this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Tumpane
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I'm so glad they finally sent an update. Looks like it will have to be an early Christmas gift now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Hatt
France
Brest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reckoner wrote:
mathhatt wrote:
Here it is

Cant even begin to imagine the headache that is this...

"To do so, we added a lot of production features which you rarely see together – UV masks, metal foil printing, cloth paper, multiple materials used in binding. To get all this to work together and to achieve the effect we desired, we took a lot of tests and trials. Many of these items had to be done and modified multiple times, before we were really happy with the results (this is not to mention the painted figures, the complex plastic trays holding them, the special dice, the embroidered cloth bag – other things we had mostly get done and finished already)."

I personally am in the camp of get the thing RIGHT ship it to me whenever. This is something I will have for a long time and it should be done right.

At first I wasnt crazy about the box art change but I think Im ok with it. Really looking forward to this!

I agree, given the amount of money they asked for it, better make sure it is as good as possible. I do not mind waiting a few more weeks (or even months). As long as it does not take 2 more years of course...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twice waiting almost until the shipping date before telling us that they have again badly missed their estimates is what it is.

I wouldn't do it to any customer.

And regardless of how good the product is (and it sounds great--at $400, I expected great), in my book, there isn't much good to say about those decisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael S
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lancemoody wrote:
Twice waiting almost until the shipping date before telling us that they have again badly missed their estimates is what it is.

I wouldn't do it to any customer.

And regardless of how good the product is (and it sounds great--at $400, I expected great), in my book, there isn't much good to say about those decisions.

Lance, I understand being frustrated, I mean heck Id love if this thing was getting set up on my table to be played this weekend. That said Ares is a good company filled with good people trying their best to put a board game on our table that is really something special. But really, the important thing is the game is getting made and life carries on. It will get here when it gets here and it will be done right. Ares may have underestimated what they were taking on and thats perfectly ok. I think if we think about it hard enough we have all been there and its an honest mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sturm
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if the dates Ares announced today factor in potential delays or cost overruns caused by the collapse of Hanjin Shipping? According to what I've read, container rates are rising quickly as companies scramble to get their goods loaded into a suddenly smaller ship pool. If you've got the money, you ship. If not, you wait. Hopefully Ares has a good shipping broker!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.