Subject: Free actions too powerful? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think one of the big differences between TLN and the origianl DoW is the number of characters with a free 'once per turn' action - many of them allowing the removal of zombies without the need to roll for exposure. Most of the DoW special abilities are tied to an action die and score.

I'm not saying this makes the game easier as I've only played a couple of games and it's too soon to tell. Somehow this feels like a more mature colony with more experienced survivors than in the original. In the same way Timber Peaks / Blood in the Forest builds on the original Last Night on Earth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. The base game had a real mix of great survivors, decent survivors, o.k. survivors, and Buddy Davis. The Long Night feels like it's got 18 really good characters in their set of 20. But at least Buddy Davis is useful now with the Bandit module...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pseudotheist wrote:
Agreed. The base game had a real mix of great survivors, decent survivors, o.k. survivors, and Buddy Davis. The Long Night feels like it's got 18 really good characters in their set of 20. But at least Buddy Davis is useful now with the Bandit module...

He also gets a "free" spot for despair!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pseudotheist wrote:

Ouch. I think Buddy gets an unfairly bad rap. He isn't great, no doubt, but I find he will get picked far more often than some other characters - the lawyer and the pirate are two that jump out right away. His search isn't great, but not terrible, and his ability means he's a decent "fighter" character if you don't get a gun quickly. So I'd personally put him in the decent or OK grouping.

I agree, though, that he is much more useful in the new game. Not just because of bandits, but because of despair being added as well as the fact special zombies can do some decent damage to players as well.

I also somewhat agree that the new characters "free" abilities seem a bit too good. When I saw the sniper guy I instantly thought, "What? The sniper rifle is such an awesome weapon to find in DoW, and this guy basically STARTS with one and there is no cost to using it?"

I only "somewhat" agree because my plays are limited so far and many of those "free" action characters seem like they MAY be balanced by having really bad stats in other areas. For example, if I pick the sniper guy he's pretty much ONLY going to be used for that ability and likely camped out somewhere, because his search ability is pretty bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked Annaleigh (the lawyer) before the new roster came out. The radio jockey/DJ chick (Jamie?) is infinitely better than she is. The new survivor single-handedly save a game from a traitor for me once. I "convinced" him to come use medicine on my frostbite so I could steal a peek at his cards... then we exiled him. Got a free would repair AND ousted a betrayer in one play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I would pick Annaleigh every day of the week over Buddy, and twice on Sundays. I don't even care about her ability, she's a dual 2 character, which means she can almost always do whatever you need her to do on a given turn. The real problem with Buddy is that you have the ability, so you want to make use of it, which means you have to subject yourself to exposure rolls, which is generally a horrible plan because you'll eventually roll a tooth, which his ability does nothing for. FWIW, I rank Hugh as one of the crappy characters in TLN, because his ability has the exact same effect; they're tooth traps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, Buddy is picked because the extra wounds aren't tooth traps so much as an extra safety precaution. There are often crossroad cards ditching out wounds or forcing exposure rolls. Sometimes you need to fight and have no weapon. Sometimes you have no fuel but need/want to move somewhere.

I agree he's not great because of his poor search stat. But I just don't find him to be the worst. He's rarely picked (I've never picked him), but I find he gets picked more than a couple others. I also think he will be more likely to get picked in TLN than the characters who use food tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mools wrote:
In my experience, Buddy is picked because the extra wounds aren't tooth traps so much as an extra safety precaution. There are often crossroad cards ditching out wounds or forcing exposure rolls. Sometimes you need to fight and have no weapon. Sometimes you have no fuel but need/want to move somewhere.

I agree he's not great because of his poor search stat. But I just don't find him to be the worst. He's rarely picked (I've never picked him), but I find he gets picked more than a couple others. I also think he will be more likely to get picked in TLN than the characters who use food tokens.

Not gonna lie, I have a soft spot for Buddy. For no reason. He just seems too simple to be a betrayer. If I have mediocre selection options and Buddy is one of them, I'll take him no matter what. I know he's not very good haha. I don't know that I've actually seen his crossroads before either... Maybe that makes him better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
Mools wrote:

Tooth traps. If you need to do those things when you've already got 2 wounds and no Medicine to spare, your game is probably not going so well.

Personally, I could see picking Buddy for the Masochist Personal Goal, and if the Bandits are in play. The Roxxon module might even make him a little better. Otherwise, I can't think of 2 base game characters I wouldn't pick over him. Maybe Roberta Plum & Graybeard, but only if I'm really worried about looking like a Betrayer, which means I probably am one. So, if you ever see me pick Buddy for a starting Character you should probably just exile me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.