Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Fling
United States
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Hello

I just moved to the Seattle area as a kind of mid-life start-over and one of my goals is to get into the tabletop game design industry.

I've already gone to a playtestNW event and plan on attending many more. Beyond working on my own designs and attending these events, however, I'm not sure how to get rolling.

If anyone has advice or is in a similar boat as me, I'd be grateful to hear it.

Many thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry
United States
Graham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with you. Would love to find some way to make this obsession a career

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stonemaier Games is a good resource for kickstarter lessons learned: http://stonemaiergames.com/kickstarter/lessons/

These days, it seems like kickstarter is the easiest way for people to fund their boardgame designs.

However, I would caution that boardgame design/publishing is usually not a road to riches.

An example of this is Shem Phillips, a great guy from New Zealand who has successfully published several games through kickstarter campaigns.
Explorers of the North Sea
Raiders of the North Sea
Shipwrights of the North Sea

He still works full time, and the board games are just a side venture. http://tabletoptogether.com/2016/02/10/designer-spotlight-sh...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broadbent
United States
Covington
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott Almes is another example of a prolific designer who still works full time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Fling
United States
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Hey Jerry.

Let's keep in touch. Are you in the Seattle area by chance? Are you working on anything right now?

Talk soon
Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Fling
United States
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks, Dan and Chris, for the reply. I will check these out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.