Hide
10 Posts

Band of Brothers: Old Breed South Pacific» Forums » General

Subject: Why Band of Brothers? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Halley
msg tools
I have played most of the better known tactical games out there (Squad Leader, Advanced Squad Leader, Ambush, Lock n Load, Conflict of Heroes, Fighting Formations, Up Front, Combat Commander, Tactical Combat Series, Old School Tactical, and of course Band of Brothers). And while I have enjoyed something about all of them, Band of Brothers is the game I play almost exclusively now.

I spent eight years in the peace-time Marine Corps (three active duty, five reserve), and at one time I was an acting communications platoon sergeant. So I know a little bit about how a game should portray squads, platoons, and companies. And in my opinion, Band of Brothers is the one that does it the best.

In Band of Brothers:
1) there is never any guarantee that a squad will do what you want it to do when you want to do it. 2) A Fully Suppressed Reduced enemy unit will always have some bite to it that can ruin your day if you get careless and it gets lucky, And 3) No squad is down and out until its eliminated. This seems to model combat better than the Shaken/Broken/Leader counter-needed-to-rally matrix of other games. And this is even more apparent when you consider that every squad in the game has from one to four inherent leaders in it who would be doing something to get their squad back in the game while it was "Broken".

Band of Brothers (and Jim) has been a pleasure to work with while I have been designing Old Breed South Pacific. The morale and casualty numbers are very flexible, so portraying the Japanese was a breeze with very little rule overhead. And designing the historical campaign games was a breeze too for the same reasons. Band of Brothers is a tight, simple-but-not simplistic set of rules that allows for very large scenarios (or a set of linked scenarios) to be played in a reasonable amount of time.

That is all for now. Take care,
Dean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmb
Thanks, Dean!

For those who are stumbling upon this system for the first time, I suppose I should point you toward something I put together for the launch of the first game in the system, Screaming Eagles:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/72928/why-band-brothe...

It is also called "Why Band of Brothers."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Fitzgerald
United States
Allen
TX
flag msg tools
I'll be in my bunk... at moesgametable,com
badge
Time for some thrilling heroics
mbmbmbmbmb
I sat with my BoB Kickstarter the other night and ran through the training scenario. Liked what I saw, even on a quick run-through and I think I messed up some rules but that's what training scenario's are for right? lol

Really looking forward to The Old Breed and being done by a brother Marine makes it that much better! Semper Fi!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Kerstan
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be on the kickstarter for the Old Breed South Pacific.

There is no "if" with this purchase thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Really looking forward to The Old Breed and being done by a brother Marine makes it that much better! Semper Fi!

And Dean is all Marine. "No, Dean, this game does not support double digit casualty ratings for Marines."

I'm really only kidding there. Dean was simply great to work with. We've had countless discussions on the phone about different aspects of the game and I never walked away from one of them thinking that he was unreasonable, but his love for the Corp is apparent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Breakout Normandy, Fields of Fire! The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Dean Halley wrote:
2) A Fully Suppressed Reduced enemy unit will always have some bite to it that can ruin your day if you get careless and it gets lucky...

This. Last night in scenario 34, Grapes of Wrath. Germans hunkered down fully suppressed but just wouldn't stop firing. Poor Americans.

Dean Halley wrote:
Band of Brothers (and Jim) has been a pleasure to work with while I have been designing Old Breed South Pacific. The morale and casualty numbers are very flexible, so portraying the Japanese was a breeze with very little rule overhead. And designing the historical campaign games was a breeze too for the same reasons. Band of Brothers is a tight, simple-but-not simplistic set of rules that allows for very large scenarios (or a set of linked scenarios) to be played in a reasonable amount of time.

I look forward to creating the Vassal module for all the BoB fans out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Halley
msg tools
Quote:
And Dean is all Marine. "No, Dean, this game does not support double digit casualty ratings for Marines."

I'm really only kidding there. Dean was simply great to work with. We've had countless discussions on the phone about different aspects of the game and I never walked away from one of them thinking that he was unreasonable, but his love for the Corp is apparent.

I laughed when I read the comment about double-digit casualty numbers. What I really value about the Marine corps is that it taught me to grow up when I joined after I graduating from high school. Honestly, I was a worthless, lazy bum with a barely passing GPA that was going nowhere fast. Today they would call it failure to launch. So ya, I am gung ho with good reason.

Enough of my personal history. But I am also realistic about the Corps and that is what you will find in the OBSP. No double-digit Casualty number here. But just as the U.S Army squads have a reluctance rule, the Marine squads will have tenacity. More on that later.

If anyone is interested, one of the best books that I have read on Marines in WW2 is the "The Long Road of War: A Marine's Story of Pacific Combat" by James W. Johnston.

That is all for now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R
United States
Flint
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright Dean you SOB you sold me. I have most of the games you mentioned and have bounced around playing them quite a bit. Been looking at this series for a while now and a positive recommendation from someone like you, a veteran, sells me. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Heckman
United States
Ocoee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deanhalley wrote:
What I really value about the Marine corps is that it taught me to grow up when I joined after I graduating from high school.

Amen... reminds me of one of my favorite book titles:

"Corps Values: Everything you need to know, I learned in the Marine Corps"

We have a lot of common ground. Very much looking forward to the Old Breed installment!

- Charlie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Halley
msg tools
John R,
Great! You will not be disappointed.

I agree with Charlie too. But this will be my the last post on the Marine Corps unless it pertains to a designer's note on OBSP. I have great respect for all branches of the service, and I don't want to come across as pitting one against the other.

have a great day everyone,
Dean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.