Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Don't Mess with Cthulhu» Forums » Rules

Subject: Promo Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Pope
United States
Bloomfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So can anyone or the designers fill us in on the rules for the promos?

Figuring out the setup for additional players seems pretty straight forward once you know the 4-6 player setups, but I'm more curious about the specifics for Necromicon cards, and objects of power. It all seems pretty simple but we did run into some questions for all of them. For example:

"If you run into a Necromicon before an Elder Sign, is this the same as hitting a Cthulhu?"

"When objects of power force you to reshuffle cards back into the deck, do you replace them with blanks? Or do you add blanks to add another round? Or do you simply add them and some players play with smaller hands?"

I've already house ruled that we remove blanks from the game to fill with Elder Signs. Also for Necromicon games we replace them with blanks at the end of the round, this is to prevent games from ending immediately more often.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
I'm the designer of the Objects of Power, though not Necronomicon (although I playtested it some). Certainly happy to answer what I can.

Popesta wrote:
"If you run into a Necromicon before an Elder Sign, is this the same as hitting a Cthulhu?"

I believe so, yes.

Popesta wrote:
"When objects of power force you to reshuffle cards back into the deck, do you replace them with blanks? Or do you add blanks to add another round? Or do you simply add them and some players play with smaller hands?"

So, "The Reshuffle Pile" just means all of the cards that are leftover at the end of a round that will be reshuffled and dealt back out to the players. You'll always continue to reveal cards so that each player will be dealt the same number of cards in the next round (which will be one less than the number that they had in the previous round).

Popesta wrote:
I've already house ruled that we remove blanks from the game to fill with Elder Signs. Also for Necromicon games we replace them with blanks at the end of the round, this is to prevent games from ending immediately more often.

Correct, I think. Basically, start with 1 Cthulhu, 1 Elder Sign per player, then add blanks until each player will be dealt 5 cards. If you're adding Objects of Power, remove the blanks and put in the same number of Objects. I believe Necronomicon works the same.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the first phase of the game? Are you supposed to say something about the objects of power, or are you still only allowed to talk about elder signs and Cthulhu? I guess you are allowed to talk about Necronomicons...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pope
United States
Bloomfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PeteVasi wrote:
So, "The Reshuffle Pile" just means all of the cards that are leftover at the end of a round that will be reshuffled and dealt back out to the players. You'll always continue to reveal cards so that each player will be dealt the same number of cards in the next round (which will be one less than the number that they had in the previous round).


So we ran into a situation where a "Reshuffle" card was going to add 4 cards back to the reshuffle pile, but we had 5 players playing. Does this apply to the other fix where we will add those 4 cards to the game and remove 4 blanks from the game?

If that's a yes, then I'm all set with how to play with the promos and thanks alot!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Minsker
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PeteVasi wrote:

Popesta wrote:
I've already house ruled that we remove blanks from the game to fill with Elder Signs. Also for Necromicon games we replace them with blanks at the end of the round, this is to prevent games from ending immediately more often.

Correct, I think. Basically, start with 1 Cthulhu, 1 Elder Sign per player, then add blanks until each player will be dealt 5 cards. If you're adding Objects of Power, remove the blanks and put in the same number of Objects. I believe Necronomicon works the same.


Necronomican works differently. The combined number of Elder Signs and Necronomicons remains equal to the number of players, but the ratio varies. You add two Elder Signs and one Necronomicon to the deck, then shuffle the remaining Necronomicons and Elder Signs, adding (face down) to the deck to bring the combined total up to the number of players.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
Popesta wrote:
PeteVasi wrote:
So, "The Reshuffle Pile" just means all of the cards that are leftover at the end of a round that will be reshuffled and dealt back out to the players. You'll always continue to reveal cards so that each player will be dealt the same number of cards in the next round (which will be one less than the number that they had in the previous round).


So we ran into a situation where a "Reshuffle" card was going to add 4 cards back to the reshuffle pile, but we had 5 players playing. Does this apply to the other fix where we will add those 4 cards to the game and remove 4 blanks from the game?

If that's a yes, then I'm all set with how to play with the promos and thanks alot!


I think I'm a bit confused by your question. The card "Evil Presence" is one that can send multiple cards to the reshuffle pile, so I'll assume that's what you're referring to. There's no step that removes cards from the game. Maybe I can clear this up with an example?

5 players: A, B, C, D, E

*Each player is dealt 5 cards.
*A begins with the flashlight and reveals a card from B. Just empty.
*B reveals a card from C. Evil Presence! The other 4 cards that C has are set aside in the "reshuffle pile". No one can reveal from C any longer this round.
*C reveals a card from B. Elder Sign.
*B reveals a card from D. Empty.
*D reveals a card from B. Empty.
*Five cards have now been revealed, so the round is over. All of the players' remaining cards and all 4 cards in the "reshuffle pile" are gathered and shuffled together.
*Each player is dealt 4 cards. (The entire remaining deck, there are no cards leftover.)


Maybe that makes it clearer?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pope
United States
Bloomfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I think this makes perfect sense now, and now I feel kind of stupid for not assuming this before.

So to sum it up, you basically can no longer pick from Player C and proceed with the rest of the round correct?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
Correct
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
elhnad legs
msg tools
how many necro cards need to be revealed for the investigators to win?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pope
United States
Bloomfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Necro cards count as elder signs, so you will need to collect them all.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Tharin
Switzerland
Dübendorf
Schweiz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Where can you get those promo cards now ? They are honestly so good that they would warrant an expansion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.