Hide
16 Posts

Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Planetary Conquest - best card in the game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Ellis
msg tools
So, you've got a list of possible rebel base sites, and can send a few stormies to check out each of them. You have Vader and Veers camping out on Planetary Conquest and an AT-AT, AT-ST's and two Stormtrooper wisely camped out on Coruscant (to prevent Heart of the Empire shenanigans).

You find the base. Next action you activate a Planetary Conquest - other than building and keeping all 4 Airspeeders in the base, is there a Rebel defence that can reliably beat Planetary Conquest?

I've seen it win the majority of games I've played, once the Rebel base is known/suspected. Its the best card for the Imperials to get since it makes their logistics so much easier if the Death Star isnt 1 move away from the Rebel base.

Basically it feels like a must-have game winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it's certainly no guarantee, but if you get the Wookie Guardian card, and you worry about the Empire doing this, you can always hold Chewie back and when the Empire attempts Planetary Conquest, Chewie can auto-fail it with the Wookie Guardian.

Not a strategy you can necessarily rely on, but if you get it, it's one way.

Also, if you see it possibly coming, you can attempt some key missions or attacks in the system that they may try to move the units FROM; then they either have to choose to let the mission/attack go unchallenged, or place a leader there and block their units from moving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Holmstrom
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
It's the best card in the game. As the rebels, always keep a space unit at your base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're aware that the empire also needs to wipe out the Rebel ships in the base's system, right? Control of the ground isn't enough, so a rebel with a single surviving ship will be able to relocate.

The card is powerful, but isn't an instant killing blow unless you can also send in air support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
Giant Fire Breathing Robot
badge
gfbrobot.com
mbmbmbmbmb
SJE7 wrote:
is there a Rebel defence that can reliably beat Planetary Conquest?

Have one X-Wing in the base. I always have one space unit just so that this card, plus good rolling, doesn't become an auto-win for the empire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One other thing the card is good for - sometimes it's worth sending in a ground force ahead of your fleet to take out an Ion Cannon.

That said, I don't think it's the best card in the game. IMO, Homing Beacon is better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SJE7 wrote:
So, you've got a list of possible rebel base sites, and can send a few stormies to check out each of them. You have Vader and Veers camping out on Planetary Conquest and an AT-AT, AT-ST's and two Stormtrooper wisely camped out on Coruscant (to prevent Heart of the Empire shenanigans).

You find the base. Next action you activate a Planetary Conquest - other than building and keeping all 4 Airspeeders in the base, is there a Rebel defence that can reliably beat Planetary Conquest?

I've seen it win the majority of games I've played, once the Rebel base is known/suspected. Its the best card for the Imperials to get since it makes their logistics so much easier if the Death Star isnt 1 move away from the Rebel base.

Basically it feels like a must-have game winner.

Well it's easily countered by any spaceship whatsoever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
poshniallo wrote:

Well it's easily countered by any spaceship whatsoever.

This.

However it is a perfect card to use if the Rebels have just moved their base and the new one doesn't have a ship guarding yet.

Obviously it is useful for a base that is too far to reach quickly.
Also it counters the Lando get getting rid of ground troops card.

I find that as the Empire getting a bunch of ships together to beat the rebel space units isn't that tough.
But since you are dropping storm troopers on each planet you pass by, your ground troops are usually spread quite thin, this card usually makes up for it.

With all this said, I keep this card in my hand until I know I can use it. Its not a card that you should just waste to accomplish a small objective (like subjugating Utapu on turn 1)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Barry
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jooice - I think it is actually extremely effective Turn 1. PCing Utapau with Vader and then Capturing Mothma with Taage is super strong. It also leaves 2 extra moves to subjugate other planets. If the Rebel player has 3POd Mothma they are almost certianly going to lose it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dashz wrote:
Jooice - I think it is actually extremely effective Turn 1. PCing Utapau with Vader and then Capturing Mothma with Taage is super strong. It also leaves 2 extra moves to subjugate other planets. If the Rebel player has 3POd Mothma they are almost certianly going to lose it.

But isn't it Veers' card? How would you have it on turn one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Ellis
msg tools
Veers gets 2 automatic successes with it, but you can do it with Vader instead. It's a mission, not an action card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The combination with capturing Mon Mothma is intriguing.
I didn't think of that.
i will say that this card works very well as a get out of jail card for the empire, I try to hold onto it.
Nut this might be a god tradeoff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
SJE7 wrote:
other than building and keeping all 4 Airspeeders in the base, is there a Rebel defence that can reliably beat Planetary Conquest?

In addition to what's already been said above, you can also try to make sure Empire does not have any single planet with a full "conquest contingent" (i.e. 2 Stormtroopers, 1 AT-ST, 1 AT-AT) on it.

The most straighforward way to do it is probably targeting Imperial AT-ATs wherever they are: blocking their production, hitting them on build queue, attacking them on game board (Madine's "Ambush" might come in handy here). Planetary Conquest is less scary if Empire can only muster 2 Stormtroopers and 1 AT-ST (which can usually be stopped by just 2 Airspeeders).

Alternatively, if there's only 1 AT-AT on board, instead of trying to destroy it, it might be easier to make it a solitary AT-AT by hitting all the other units in the system.

All easier said than done, of course, and sometimes it won't be worth the resources spent (especially since you can never be sure if this mission will ever be in Empire's hand), but it's one more anti-Conquest option to choose from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
Perf wrote:
SJE7 wrote:
other than building and keeping all 4 Airspeeders in the base, is there a Rebel defence that can reliably beat Planetary Conquest?

In addition to what's already been said above, you can also try to make sure Empire does not have any single planet with a full "conquest contingent" (i.e. 2 Stormtroopers, 1 AT-ST, 1 AT-AT) on it.

The most straighforward way to do it is probably targeting Imperial AT-ATs wherever they are: blocking their production, hitting them on build queue, attacking them on game board (Madine's "Ambush" might come in handy here). Planetary Conquest is less scary if Empire can only muster 2 Stormtroopers and 1 AT-ST (which can usually be stopped by just 2 Airspeeders).

Alternatively, if there's only 1 AT-AT on board, instead of trying to destroy it, it might be easier to make it a solitary AT-AT by hitting all the other units in the system.

All easier said than done, of course, and sometimes it won't be worth the resources spent (especially since you can never be sure if this mission will ever be in Empire's hand), but it's one more anti-Conquest option to choose from.

that's a lot of focus to stop just one card that might not be drawn. The thing about Rebellion is there is a whole bunch of stuff that you're going to want to do. Yes anything CAN be stopped or prepared for. The question is what should be done given your limited resources.

the best defense against planetary conquest is a strong fleet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
David Umstattd wrote:
that's a lot of focus to stop just one card that might not be drawn.

Sure, that's basically what I said in last sentence of my post - it's all situational, of course.

Like I already mentioned, it might not be worth the resources spent on it, but sometimes it happens to go hand in hand with your general strategy anyway, so in that case you're killing two birds with one stone. You've mentioned the "Infiltrate player" as one of Rebel player archetypes in your recent thread and have described it as someone who, among other things, "will use sabotage specifically on systems that produce AT-ATs".

Good example might be recent PBF007, where my opponent only had a single AT-AT the whole game (not because I specifically tried to target them, it just happened); in that situation Madine's Ambush used against it would turn Planetary Conquest into Planetary Nuisance.

Conversely, in PBF008, there are currently (as of round 4) two AT-ATs on board and one in the build queue - trying to get their count down to zero is likely not the most viable tactic now.

So it's not something you can always rely on, but just an option to keep in mind when/if an opportunity arises.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex G
Canada
flag msg tools
demoss1 wrote:
One other thing the card is good for - sometimes it's worth sending in a ground force ahead of your fleet to take out an Ion Cannon.

That said, I don't think it's the best card in the game. IMO, Homing Beacon is better.

Isn't that what movie Veers did?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.