Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stewart Sinex
Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
I am trying to work up an artical on what makes an action in a game. I am looking for some research or thoughts on the subjects or alt least some condenses of ideas from people who also think about this kind of thing.

Thanks for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar the Khan
Australia
flag msg tools
If you're Zeno then an action is impossible, because you'll get halfway to making it, then of the remaining distance you will get halfway, and on the further remaining distance you will achieve only halfway again and so on and so forth for infinity (if time is infinitly divisible).

If you're Plato then an action is always an imperfect copy of an action that exists objectively as the template for all such actions.

If you're Descarte then an action is a delusion that you have been tricked into thinking that you are making (so long as there isn't an all-powerful, all-good being who can make sure you aren't deceived in such a way).

If you're Hume, then an action is probably 'nothing but sophistry and illusion' - a judgement and output based on an emotional decision drawn from the knowledge of past experience.

If you're Wittgenstein then an action can only be understood from within the same language-game, because our understanding is derived from experience and can only be imperfectly communicated, and even then only to people who share those relevant experiences.

If you're being literal, then a player makes an action in a game. Or a game designer makes an action by not discounting it as a possibility in the mechanics of the game.

If you want people to answer seriously, I think you probably need to phrase your question better define your use of the word 'makes'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No Cat - No Cradle
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
A demonstrable unit of play that alters the game-state, thereby increasing the entropy of the game, and which can only be reversed through the application of energy, usually in the form of excessive pleading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar the Khan
Australia
flag msg tools
Also I think that design would be a better place to put this (rather than the forum for design contests)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stewart Sinex
Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
Darn me miss reading the catigory. I will repost this in a another plase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
No, no. There are experts who can move threads for you - and have done so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This also duplicates a thread in Design Theory
High level thinking, what makes an action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.