$30.00
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
Short version, douchery reigns as a hotshot south bay CEO uses secrecy and 'narrative' to build a company - on fraudulent tech.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/09/elizabeth-holmes-ther...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Theranos tried to use the same fake it until you make it mechanisms that we do with a startup that is all about a business model: In that case, you can do things by hand, at a loss, when you know that you'll be able to pay the expense of automation when you have the scale. If your company is really built around a technology, and said tech doesn't work, you aren't going anywhere: That's why innovative hardware startups fail a lot.

If they hadn't gotten quite as much investment, and were far more patient, maybe they could have run a smaller crew, but jankiness like the one they pulled just doesn't work on this.

I get the feeling that the CEO knew this was all going down for quite a while. A private jet at their valuation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
I think you're right, it's that gambler's imbalance... you keep telling yourself that if it just goes a little longer, it'll all work out, just one more bet - just one more month, and things will turn around and everyone will be better off than ever!

Of course it almost never ever works out that way. Ask Ken Lay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
Theranos tried to use the same fake it until you make it mechanisms that we do with a startup that is all about a business model: In that case, you can do things by hand, at a loss, when you know that you'll be able to pay the expense of automation when you have the scale. If your company is really built around a technology, and said tech doesn't work, you aren't going anywhere: That's why innovative hardware startups fail a lot.

If they hadn't gotten quite as much investment, and were far more patient, maybe they could have run a smaller crew, but jankiness like the one they pulled just doesn't work on this.

I get the feeling that the CEO knew this was all going down for quite a while. A private jet at their valuation?

I think you're being overly generous. This was only a single step away from a Ponzi scheme. I'm curious if anyone actually died because of her faulty lab results. Holmes belongs in jail for many years.

Hibikir, you're in IT. Surely, like myself, you've met at least a few of this type of personality. We called them charlatans. I was always surprised how long they could last in a corporate environment and my experience has been they tended to last just under 10 years before they could no longer sustain the show.

The core mechanism here is a great talker (as opposed to the do-er) who manipulates and takes advantage of the technically illiterate. They're masters of jargon. That's why I have never agreed with the premise that business management is its own field and can be applied to any domain. i.e. that the CEO of Coca-Cola could just as effectively manage Intel. It is my opinion that an effective business manager must simultaneously be technically proficient in whatever business domain they're working in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
isaacc wrote:
hibikir wrote:

I think you're being overly generous. This was only a single step away from a Ponzi scheme. I'm curious if anyone actually died because of her faulty lab results. Holmes belongs in jail for many years.

Hibikir, you're in IT. Surely, like myself, you've met at least a few of this type of personality. We called them charlatans. I was always surprised how long they could last in a corporate environment and my experience has been they tended to last just under 10 years before they could no longer sustain the show.

The core mechanism here is a great talker (as opposed to the do-er) who manipulates and takes advantage of the technically illiterate. They're masters of jargon. That's why I have never agreed with the premise that business management is its own field and can be applied to any domain. i.e. that the CEO of Coca-Cola could just as effectively manage Intel. It is my opinion that an effective business manager must simultaneously be technically proficient in whatever business domain they're working in.

You just triggered flashbacks of the "Don't worry, I have an MBA from Harvard!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
Short version, douchery reigns as a hotshot south bay CEO uses secrecy and 'narrative' to build a company - on fraudulent tech.

Did this cost the taxpayers any money ? If not, who cares.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
Did this cost the taxpayers any money ?

Federal investigations are not normally free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
who cares.

Probably the people that paid for medical testing and were defrauded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
windsagio wrote:

Did this cost the taxpayers any money ? If not, who cares.

In addition to what milum said,

Additional healthcare costs that bad test results can incur push up everyones costs.

The people that got terrifying results that were totally wrong (there's a case mentioned in the original WSJ article) probably care a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Why does the reporter keep bring up "white men?"

Venture capitalist who are all white men...
"Holmes started to assemble her board of directors, she chose a dozen older white men..."

seriously what does that have to do with anything?

Honestly I found it jarring too, but I think the author's point was that the gender element was part of what made Theranos & it's director appealing to the tech press. Her gender was a big part of her narrative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.