Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been reading some of Lovecraft's stories and it's really drawn me into trying some games with this theme. What are some good Cthulhu/Lovecraftian themed games that work well with 2 players and has high replayability?

I've looked into the Call of Cthulhu LCG, but it seems like its OOP or just hard to come by. Elder Sign seems ok but I'm not sure if it works well with 2 players. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance! googoo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tides of Madness might be a good 2 player choice.
Mansions of Madness: Second Edition might fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played Mansions of Madness: Second Edition with 2 players this past weekend and it was a wonderful experience. We played the short scenario and a friend who had previously played it commented how surprised he was at how differently it played out. I'd love to try it with more players as well but it was great with just 2. If the atmosphere of mystery and terror is what you're after, this game is probably as close as a board game will get you, thanks to the very well implemented app. Highly recommended.

I personally think Eldritch Horror is best with 3 players but 2 would still be fun.

Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu would be good with 2 players but I suggest each player take 2 characters.

I'm also really, really looking forward to the upcoming Arkham Horror: The Card Game and it's designed to be played with 2.

Most other Cthulhu-themed games I either haven't played or didn't much care for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Webhead123 wrote:
I just played Mansions of Madness: Second Edition with 2 players this past weekend and it was a wonderful experience. We played the short scenario and a friend who had previously played it commented how surprised he was at how differently it played out. I'd love to try it with more players as well but it was great with just 2. If the atmosphere of mystery and terror is what you're after, this game is probably as close as a board game will get you, thanks to the very well implemented app. Highly recommended.

I personally think Eldritch Horror is best with 3 players but 2 would still be fun.

Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu would be good with 2 players but I suggest each player take 2 characters.

I'm also really, really looking forward to the upcoming Arkham Horror: The Card Game and it's designed to be played with 2.

Most other Cthulhu-themed games I either haven't played or didn't much care for.
Thanks for the suggestions! Would you say Eldritch Horror is better than Arkham Horror (the board game) with 2 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elder Sign is good with two, but it's strictly co-op.

The Call of Cthulhu LCG really is the best two-player competitive yog-sothothery, alas.

Cthulhu Fluxx is surprisingly un-silly. It's very random and doesn't reward skill, but that fits the theme.

For humorous takes, I like The Stars Are Right and Cthulhu Gloom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zappshmeow94 wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions! Would you say Eldritch Horror is better than Arkham Horror (the board game) with 2 players?

While I don't think I could back up my statement with hard evidence at the moment, I would tend to say "yes". While I find Eldritch can be very manageable with 3 investigators, I feel Arkham really needs at least 4. I think a lot of it has to do with the process of closing gates, which can be a resource-consuming affair in Arkham.

Even so, the difference is probably a subtle one. Eldritch also just feels a little "cleaner" and with a tiny bit more story-consistency to me than Arkham due to each Old One having their own specific mission cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Connell
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cthulhu Realms. Good fun, based on Star Realms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zappshmeow94 wrote:

I'll let you unravel the madness about which is better, but the cool thing about co-op games is that you can always play 2 characters each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Bruno
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just placed an order for a copy of Tides of Madness. It's two player and Lovecraft themed.
can't give much of a verdict til I have played it but the mechanics drew me to it. Feels like the kind of game you could pull out to kill some time quite often

And about Elder Sign with two players. I have the app on my tablet and I have played it a bunch solo by controlling 4 characters. I shouldn't think two players would pose a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll be checking out Elder Sign and Eldritch Horror! goo

edit: didnt know Cthulhu Realm existed! Ill definitly be getting that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
Elder Sign works great with 2 players. We have played it that way many times.

Eldritch Horror is fine with 2 also, but it's a bigger, longer game.

On the lighter side, I like Rise of Cthulhu, which is a decent game (similar to Battle Line) but with great art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Eldritch Horror plays well with 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.