Subject: Gric Local Farmers - A One Player Expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing Agricola with my own one player expansion for some time and with vacation this week I decided to formalize the rules and card set. In the expansion you will find:

- Single Player Mode
- Single Player Campaign Mode competing against 6 different local farmers.

9/8/16: The latest ruleset (V 3.0) is in the file section and linked below:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/136865/gric-local-far...

Ruleset Sample

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tracy Baker
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for developing this and thanks on top of that for sharing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gertbert wrote:
Thanks for developing this and thanks on top of that for sharing it.

Your most welcome and happy to share. I hope you get a chance to try it out. I'll eventually convert it to a full print and play, just need another vacation week

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarandongo
United States
MADISON
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing your work. I'm excited to try it out.
Would you consider uploading the cards to the files section?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perenetre wrote:
Thanks for sharing your work. I'm excited to try it out.
Would you consider uploading the cards to the files section?

Most definitely will, but am going to need some help with that. Not sure how to create the cards into a print and play format.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarandongo
United States
MADISON
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure there's someone more expert in this matter, but PDF-Xchange editor it's a free program that I use and it's easy to just copy and paste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
The link in the rule book does not work. I get a generic page on artscow with advertising. Is it just me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heron da Cruz
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:
The link in the rule book does not work. I get a generic page on artscow with advertising. Is it just me?

Me too!

Here's the correct link:
www.artscow.com/gallery/playing-cards/gric-local-farmers-0j1...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
heroncruz wrote:
Ponton wrote:

Me too!

Here's the correct link:
www.artscow.com/gallery/playing-cards/gric-local-farmers-0j1...

I don't get an error when using the same link...hmmm. Will try and figure it out.

Can anyone else let me know if the link is or isn't working for them when copied from the pdf?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Gaer
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ordered! Thanks for developing this variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question - what does the local farmer do if the action card shows a space that the human player already occupies? Just flip to the next card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schiavonir wrote:
Question - what does the local farmer do if the action card shows a space that the human player already occupies? Just flip to the next card?

Correct, but great callout. I'll make note of this in the rules summary and last page FAQ.

I'll submit an update later today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
schiavonir wrote:

Correct, but great callout. I'll make note of this in the rules summary and last page FAQ.

The interesting thing is that if this happens, then he surprises you with his next move because (I'm assuming) you're not allowed to look at the back of the next card, so you don't know where he is going to place.

Another question - what makes the different farmers harder? Do they just score more points that you have to beat? And do you not know what score to beat until the end of the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schiavonir wrote:
skyzero wrote:
schiavonir wrote:

The interesting thing is that if this happens, then he surprises you with his next move because (I'm assuming) you're not allowed to look at the back of the next card, so you don't know where he is going to place.

Another question - what makes the different farmers harder? Do they just score more points that you have to beat? And do you not know what score to beat until the end of the game?

You can only see the top card of the deck, the next card is definitely a surprise move.

With regards to farmer difficulty, you will not know his or her final score to beat until the end (with the exception of Master Farmer Steve, he's always 50). I did have previous versions of the expansion where the farmers scored in different ways, but in the end, it was cumbersome. The current scoring mechanic at least for me is seamless and requires no housekeeping. It leaves me maximum brainpower to focus on my strategy and winning

EDIT: "Random Season Mode" in the expansion variants section of the rules is a way to play single player and keep you guessing on the Local Farmer production score to beat!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get one thing ATM: What's the difference between the different local farmers? Is it just what card you have to flip at the end to see what score you have to beat?

Also, I assume you shuffle the action deck once it's depleted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:
I don't get one thing ATM: What's the difference between the different local farmers? Is it just what card you have to flip at the end to see what score you have to beat?

Also, I assume you shuffle the action deck once it's depleted?

That is correct and correct. I've updated the FAQ to note depleted decks mid-round are reshuffled.

Also, I'm working on a PnP version of the expansion where each local farmer has a unique ability. With 6 farmers, it's taking awhile to playtest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for putting this together and putting on Artscow. I was eager to order it, but I see the deck is $16.99 and then they add another $8.99 for shipping! That's a little too rich for me right now. Not your fault at all, and if a PnP becomes available, I'm all over it. I do have a box of blank cards and I may do a super-cheap version where I just grab a Sharpie and replicate your cards.

I do always prefer playing against an AI opponent vs "beat your high score" solo plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schiavonir wrote:
Thanks for putting this together and putting on Artscow. I was eager to order it, but I see the deck is $16.99 and then they add another $8.99 for shipping! That's a little too rich for me right now. Not your fault at all, and if a PnP becomes available, I'm all over it. I do have a box of blank cards and I may do a super-cheap version where I just grab a Sharpie and replicate your cards.

I do always prefer playing against an AI opponent vs "beat your high score" solo plays.

The blank cards and sharpie route is actually how I've played myself for a year plus. Play many of my games this way actually. I just had some time off of work and enjoy the variant enough that I decided to formalize it as a fan made 1 player expansion.

With regards to the AI opponent, it's always tough to minimize human overhead while maintaining variability in final scoring with a design. I tried to strike a balance with the production score mechanic. It allows you to stay focused on your strategy rather than tabulating an artificial score throughout.

But to your point, agreed on the "feel" of an opponent. It's why I created the 6 stages of farmers and have been working on a unique ability that is randomly drawn at game start. One example is the local farmer starts with 3 family members Vs 2. It's just taking longer than anticipated to dial-in the balance against base ruleset. The good news is the card set will remain identical, each farmer will just have a unique ability.

PnP version with local farmer abilities should be ready in November. For those that don't like to create PnP, the Artscow cards are readily available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree - the goal is to increase difficulty/variability without increasing overhead too much. One thought I had-

What if you gave each farmer one or more extra victory point conditions (or partials) when certain conditions are present? You can create a "personality deck" (name borrowed from The Solo System) and at the beginning of the game, you draw one or more personality cards and apply them to your opponent. Some ideas:

-Logger: Local farmer earns +1 VP each time he takes 4+ wood
-Foodie: Local farmer earns +0.5 VP whenever he bakes bread and grabs fish during the same round
-Brickmason: Whenever local farmer takes a brick space, he get ALL the brick on the board and scores +0.5 VP
-Shepherd: Whenever local farmer takes 3+ sheep, he hires a temporary worker just for this round (ie. gets one more worker placement)

Anyway, I was just trying to think of ways that you can keep the game exactly as it is, and then add in these extra factors to give the Local Farmers a little more strategy and variability to play against.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schiavonir wrote:
I agree - the goal is to increase difficulty/variability without increasing overhead too much. One thought I had-

What if you gave each farmer one or more extra victory point conditions (or partials) when certain conditions are present? You can create a "personality deck" (name borrowed from The Solo System) and at the beginning of the game, you draw one or more personality cards and apply them to your opponent. Some ideas:

-Logger: Local farmer earns +1 VP each time he takes 4+ wood
-Foodie: Local farmer earns +0.5 VP whenever he bakes bread and grabs fish during the same round
-Brickmason: Whenever local farmer takes a brick space, he get ALL the brick on the board and scores +0.5 VP
-Shepherd: Whenever local farmer takes 3+ sheep, he hires a temporary worker just for this round (ie. gets one more worker placement)

Anyway, I was just trying to think of ways that you can keep the game exactly as it is, and then add in these extra factors to give the Local Farmers a little more strategy and variability to play against.

I like the personality idea. One quick note though, the action you draw from the deck means place the farmer and remove all available resources from the space, not the literal number. I own base Agricola, so I named the space actions after the 2007 edition board. The action of "3 Wood" or "1 Reed" is lifted straight from the board, but the accumulation of all resources is what the Farmer removes, just like any player. I'll add this into the FAQ.

Will jot down some personality ideas and give them a test run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated ruleset to Version 3.0. Includes clarification in the "During Play" section noting that all resources are removed when the local farmer takes an action.

I also included a version number on the first page of the ruleset so folks know if they have the latest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
One quick note though, the action you draw from the deck means place the farmer and remove all available resources from the space, not the literal number. I own base Agricola, so I named the space actions after the 2007 edition board. The action of "3 Wood" or "1 Reed" is lifted straight from the board, but the accumulation of all resources is what the Farmer removes, just like any player. I'll add this into the FAQ.

I understood that, maybe you were confused by the Brickmason - what I meant by that was - whenever he gets brick from any space that provides brick, then he get the brick from all spaces that provide brick. (Kinda like monopolizing one of the resources.) I haven't played in a while, maybe brick is a bad example. I know there are multiple wood and stone spaces though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.