Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Smith
Australia
Mount Helen
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played through a somewhat solo game myself, and am looking at playing it with a couple of others, I'm curious to know how the best way would be to explain this game to them as Heroes to get the best enjoyment out of it, even if they lose!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Bradford
United States
Silverdale
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey there!

A few points...

Firstly, I found it easiest to explain The Others when I was on the sideline, running it as a sort of unofficial 'Demo' for a group of players. This let me offer my advice and experience to both sides of the field, and remove any suspicion from each team that I might be withholding information for the sake of victory.

But that has nothing to do with where I see you going with this.

It appears as though you'll be going in as the Sins Player. This is a good move, because the Sins Player truly has the most to track, and all the FAITH players have open information. This allows you to coach across the field with complete knowledge of the situation.

Make your role, as the Sins Player, VERY clear. Inform the FAITH players that you are NOT a GM; you are a competitor and are out for a victory. The hardest thing for me to convey to my groups was the how the Sins Player operates; no official 'turn' is a difficult thing to swallow the first time.

Know the rulebook cold. It's easy enough to digest. Give the book to your players for them to reference on their own. Explain the game overview, but don't spend a half an hour on rules minutiae. Get the gamers gaming and then let things fall into place. It'll hit a stride.

Be judicious with your Sins plays. The first playthrough really should be a careful 'give and take'. Ensure that when you're making your plays, you're not taking advantage of any lack of knowledge the FAITH players have. Pull punches. This is a first run; subsequent game sessions rely on the players walking away with positive feelings.

Finally, remain patient and upbeat the entire time. Get excited when the FAITH goes for a power play that turns out good for them. Play your role as Sins by keeping the pressure on as a threat, but help them make decisions by presenting all of their options. Despite being a competitive game, try to remain impartial.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

(Edited for... general grammar and structure.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.