Subject: Religious Board Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Victor Liu
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm curious about board games with religious themes, want to get a feel for the landscape. Don't really know much about it. I know there was a Settlers of Canaan, and more recently Kings of Israel, which I understand to work for both followers of Judaism and Christianity. Apart from those and the occasional Bible trivia or reskin of another game with a religious theme (arguable for Kings of Israel), I feel I have not seen much other board games with religious themes.
Just to clarify, I am looking for games with religious messages or stories front and center as the focus, instead of say, a religious aspect in a 4x game where it's a component of the whole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
LvckystAr wrote:
I'm curious about board games with religious themes, want to get a feel for the landscape. Don't really know much about it. I know there was a Settlers of Canaan, and more recently Kings of Israel, which I understand to work for both followers of Judaism and Christianity. Apart from those and the occasional Bible trivia or reskin of another game with a religious theme (arguable for Kings of Israel), I feel I have not seen much other board games with religious themes.
Just to clarify, I am looking for games with religious messages or stories front and center as the focus, instead of say, a religious aspect in a 4x game where it's a component of the whole.

Hey, hopefully you won't get too many troll posts!

Of Gods And Mortals is a decent wargame that incorporates some real-world mythology into the game -- I believe there was an Abrahamic-style army, but I didn't look into it, let me see... ah nevermind, it was pre-Islamic Arabia (e.g., djinni.)

Ghost Stories has a really cool Taoist theme that I like a lot.

And there's always Mythender!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Liu
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Terwox wrote:
LvckystAr wrote:

Hey, hopefully you won't get too many troll posts!

Of Gods And Mortals is a decent wargame that incorporates some real-world mythology into the game -- I believe there was an Abrahamic-style army, but I didn't look into it, let me see... ah nevermind, it was pre-Islamic Arabia (e.g., djinni.)

Ghost Stories has a really cool Taoist theme that I like a lot.

And there's always Mythender!

Nice!

Will be looking into those and trying to learn about them.

I hope I don't get too many trolls either but I won't be surprised if i do haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
Mystery of the Abbey is themed around life in a monastery. I seem to recall another game which actually used monastic times (vespers and such), which might have been Village--anyone able to confirm or deny that? Anyway, I don't know if that's the sort of thing you're looking for.

If you're at all interested in knowing which games are superficially religion-themed but actually have nothing to do with religion so you can avoid them, I nominate Zendo for a prize. Pleasant little deduction game, but the constant reference to the Buddha-nature sort of grated on me; it felt disrespectful.

I'm not sure where the boundary lies between religion and myth, but there are lots of games like Hera and Zeus and Odin's Ravens which might be of interest. And, of course, lots of games deal with entirely fictional religions, like Chaos in the Old World.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2201/redemption

CCG. Been around forever.... if it is still around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with religious games is that they are generally designed with "religious" first in mind and "game" a distant second. They seem to be excuses to sit around with religious discussions and atmosphere more than actual games. They end up being as boring at church, but you can do it from home.

I don't mean that to be the kind of trolling you were afraid of. It's just my honest assessment. The LDS church has a plethora of bookstores around Utah, and they all load themselves up with new games from people which... disappoint. I get invited to play some with friends because "You like games, don't you?" And every time, they disappoint. I think this is also because the target market of a religious book store is religious first. The quality of the game does not matter as much as the theme.

So, to get a good religious game, you have to settle for a pasted on theme. A game for gamers where religion comes second. If your search turns up something different, a diamond in the rough, I would love to hear about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

Couple geeklists referring to that one.

Good Christian or Bible games?
(Christian-specific, but with some commentary on all the entries)

Religion in Games: The definitve list
(What appears to be a *comprehensive* list, but with little to no commentary...not sure how useful)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
LvckystAr wrote:

I've seen neither game but would be shocked if they worked for both as our understandings of the games' nominal subjects are radically different in many respects.

My experience, although some exceptions may exist, is that generally speaking religiously themed games suck big time. If they don't, they're rethemed to appeal to a wider audience and so religiously theme games are those that would never sell but for the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area / Currently I sponsor gaming groups in Monroe & Alexandria, LA.
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LvckystAr wrote:

Then you're not looking for a game per se. You're looking for a religious educational tool for propagating the faith.

Do yourself and your Sunday School students a favor and make them a "Bible Jeopardy" game. You only have to fashion the board out of heavy matte board and you can replenish the categories and clues each week. It won't get old that way.

I made one of these for my mother's Bible School class and it was a great hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
LvckystAr wrote:

I've never seen one.

Canaan and Ark of the Covenant are just Catan and Carcassonne with junk added to them: the junk is only superficially religious. Carcassonne already had monks and cloisters (one of four ways to score), and cathedrals (a score modifier for castles).

Games like Ora et Labora (pray and work) or Bibios just have a peripheral religious theme. The Pillars of the Earth is more about the book than the cathedral in the book.

Go to the top of the page and click on Adv. Search. Click on Categories and tick [+] Religious (left column) and Submit. This is all the "Religious" games in the database, in some weird order; click on Board Game Rank to sort them in rank order.

But here's the problem. If the game requires religiously correct decisions, then the direction to take in the game is painfully obvious. If there's an alternative devil's path or the decisions are morally conflicted, you're not going to like that, I expect.

Your best bet may be to play D&D or Pathfinder, rip out the fake religions and use your own. Those games at least have good vs. evil as their basis. Yeah, if the GM makes the solutions obvious, the game will be banal, but you can at least bust some evil heads. I know of one truly religious RPG, In Nomine, but it's more than a little quirky and non-canonical for most religions.

Edit: You might look at Codenames; religious terms and names could be added to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the manatee
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Road to Canterbury.

Sure, it's filled with quirky humor and is based more on negative examples of Christian faith, but it seems to meet your criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb

I have this one.

Kings of Israel

It is really a pretty good co-op.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can recommend Credo - all about trying to get your version of Christianity adopted as the official position in the early councils. I know I've only given it a rating of 4 but it's actually quite fun, particularly when played with vicars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ed_the_Red wrote:
I can recommend Credo - all about trying to get your version of Christianity adopted as the official position in the early councils. I know I've only given it a rating of 4 but it's actually quite fun, particularly when played with vicars.

I think there is going to be a new version of Credo in the near future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdom of Solomon is a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
May the bikini be with you!
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

Couple geeklists referring to that one.

Good Christian or Bible games?
(Christian-specific, but with some commentary on all the entries)

Religion in Games: The definitve list
(What appears to be a *comprehensive* list, but with little to no commentary...not sure how useful)

There are a few gems on these lists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A.D. 30 is a solitare game by a small company that follows Jesus' journey to Jeruselem. I hear is isn't bad.

Here I Stand and Virgin Queen contextualize the reformation struggle. The religious aspect is one element of many, but it isn't just some throwaway mechanic, it's a core element for several factions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh E

Naperville
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Commissioned probably would count. Early church, but not the same as a religious board game, really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a PnP rpg that I've got a good quality copy of, but I haven't had a chance to play yet. The players are factions of the early Christian church, seeking to shape it.

It looks great, but is also one of those games you likely need the "right" group of players for it to see its full potential.

Ah, Credo, I see it has already been mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ed_the_Red wrote:

Yep ,+1 for Credo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LvckystAr wrote:
I'm curious about board games with religious themes, ...

One might argue that this has a religious theme. Yes, I know it's an invented religion and the practitioners aren't very friendly, but that's pretty close to real life. Oh, yes, it's a very good game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tstone wrote:
There's a PnP rpg that I've got a good quality copy of, but I haven't had a chance to play yet. The players are factions of the early Christian church, seeking to shape it.

It looks great, but is also one of those games you likely need the "right" group of players for it to see its full potential.

Yeah apart from it not being a RPG and it not being PnP either, it was published by Chaosium in English.

However there are a couple of RPGs that could qualify Dogs in the Vineyard and Montsegur 1244 come to mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
tstone wrote:

Yeah apart from it not being a RPG and it not being PnP either, it was published by Chaosium in English.

However there are a couple of RPGs that could qualify Dogs in the Vineyard and Montsegur 1244 come to mind.

Then I may be thinking of another game after all. Because the one I am thinking of most definitely is a PnP.

And I thought the Chaosium game dealt with the Lovecraft Mythos and had nothing to do with Christianity.

I also own both Dogs and Montsegur, too. Great games, but neither were PnP.

Crap, this is bugging me. Gonna go look it up on my shelf after I get off the air.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tstone wrote:
andyl wrote:
tstone wrote:

Then I may be thinking of another game after all. Because the one I am thinking of most definitely is a PnP.

And I thought the Chaosium game dealt with the Lovecraft Mythos and had nothing to do with Christianity.

No Chaosium did loads of stuff back in the 80s.

Maybe you are thinking of DragonRaid which is a pedagogical Christian RPG from the 80s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
tstone wrote:
andyl wrote:
tstone wrote:

No Chaosium did loads of stuff back in the 80s.

Maybe you are thinking of DragonRaid which is a pedagogical Christian RPG from the 80s.

This one was far more recent, say, in the last dozen years. I had the one of the PnP guys, Howitzer, I believe, print my copy.

I'll check and post it it a couple hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.