Subject: Retheme: The Thing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Manu
China
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi all,

I own the original Legendary Encounters: Alien and I am an avid fan of rethemings. I have rethemed the game into the "The Thing" universe. I am very proud of my work as I have managed to adapt the rules so they fit the plot of "The Thing".

I would like to share it with people who would like to try but I am worried about copyright problems. I am not trying to sell the game, this is simply the work of a fan of LE, Alien and The Thing.

What do you recommend I do in order to allow people to play the game, but without making my files straight PnP?

Thx for your help.

[edit] Addendum

I would need some input regarding a decision I have to make. The original strike deck I made has only 2 kinds of cards: a "Safe" card that does nothing to you and a "Thing" card that turns the player who draws it into a thing. From then on, The Thing Player has to try to kill the other players (secretly or not).

Players have no shield or life points. Either the player is healthy or it is a thing.
This is thematic as the thing doesn't "hurt" other, it just takes over the body.

I was wondering if I should remove that "safe" card and make the game closer to the original Alien game and therefore be less thematic or if I should continue with my original idea and remain true to "The Thing" the movie, at the risk of completely changing the feel of the game.

Any thoughts on that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cobcroft
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Put them on a website with a disclaimer that it's fan made, and make sure you absolutely never look like making any money on it. So use a website without ads, donations and don't charge for anything.

Include in the disclaimer that you will take it down if notified. If you get notified - take it down.

All that being said - the number one thing you should do is email the rights holders and ask them for permission, stating exactly what you intend to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
mbmbmbmbmb
This.

https://youtu.be/R6OCizr9MwI
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting idea. Frankly I'm surprised they hadn't already done an official "Legendary Encounters: The Thing." Barring whatever unknown copyright issues there might be, you'd think it would have made more thematic sense (for the game mechanic) than either Big Trouble in Little China or Firefly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siegfried Steurer
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
looks great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Brettschneider
Germany
Mainz
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea!

Maybe you wanna give the white letters a black border - some of the white print is hard to read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sacha cauvin
France
rouen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Want to try this!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Quicksilver
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Gloucester
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh yeah, I'd give this a go - sounds really good idea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manu
China
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thx for the input. will do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.