1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Solo Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mid Ranger
msg tools
Hello everyone,

Mage Knight the board game and Pathfinder ACG skulls & shackles base set, were recommended as excellent solo games. I'm told they play well with single or multiple players.

Both seem great, but I have an aversion to card based games. Are there any comparable games sans cards? I prefer mature games that I can play with or without friends. Thank you for your expertise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It uses cards but it's not really a "card game", and it's hands-down my favorite solo: Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MidRanger wrote:
Hello everyone,

Mage Knight the board game and Pathfinder ACG skulls & shackles base set, were recommended as excellent solo games. I'm told they play well with single or multiple players.

Both seem great, but I have an aversion to card based games. Are there any comparable games sans cards? I prefer mature games that I can play with or without friends. Thank you for your expertise.

95% of good solo games use cards, IME .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Vuong
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Onirim is a great solo player game where there is little RNG and choices heavily matter. The RNG is more prevalent depending on what you choose.

Friday is also a great solo player game that is somewhat related to Robinson Crusoe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Random elements are important for solo games to keep the game play varied. Cards are the most popular random elements because they allow rules and artwork to be printed right on them. They are not the only options though.

If you are looking for a game with strictly no cards, I would recommend the print and play dice game Utopia Engine. All you need to print out are 2 sheets of paper and optionally the rules. You will need some dice, a pencil and an eraser to play.

If you are looking for a game where the cards are not the focus of the game, you could try Flash Point: Fire Rescue (cards are only used to keep track of characters the player controls and some rule references) or D-Day Dice (cards contain rules for equipment, but it's mostly about rolling dice and moving troops on a map).

Cheers!

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic: The Cure is a dice game with only a handful of cards for 1-7 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2015 People's Choice Top 100 Solo Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Petomo wrote:
Onirim is a great solo player game where there is little RNG and choices heavily matter. The RNG is more prevalent depending on what you choose.

Friday is also a great solo player game that is somewhat related to Robinson Crusoe.

Plus there's no card googoo so the OP will be happy about it meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MidRanger wrote:

Both seem great, but I have an aversion to card based games.
PACG is a pure card game (and quite boring, especially as a solo game), while Mage Knight also has hex tiles (and a few minis) that you uncover as you explore the land.

As has been mentioned, a good solo game needs to have a means to add a lot of variance. Apart from cards, I can only think of games that use dice and look-up tables to achieve that. Cards are imho, generally a more elegant solution.

TL;DR: Get Mage Knight! It's the best!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MidRanger wrote:
but I have an aversion to card based games.

Can you elaborate as to what specifically you dislike about card based games?

Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game is mostly composed of cards, but I wouldn't call it a card based game like Mage Knight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"Arrange whatever pieces come your way." Virginia Woolf
mbmbmbmbmb
Struggle for the Galactic Empire is a great solo-designed game. No card though it is in "wargame" category but don't let that throw you off before you see how it plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcom Chase
msg tools
mbmbmb
Castellion is a tile laying game. I don't know if they are too similar to cards for you. I haven't played it, but it's usually recommended. It's solo or two players.

Dungeon Roll is dice-based. You have a card for your character, but that's it. Then it's only dice. It's not really deep, and you shouldn't play it with the full four players it allows, though. It's fun, but it's just a filler.

Ghost Stories has miniatures and dice. The cards are only used for the enemies (you draw and place them on the board, there's no hand of cards). It's coop, and has rules for solo play (or you can use several characters)

As someone said above, it's hard to come up with a game with no cards. The ones I offer either use card-like mechanics without cards, or use cards without the usual hand management mechanics.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
MidRanger wrote:

Both seem great, but I have an aversion to card based games.
PACG is a pure card game (and quite boring, especially as a solo game), while Mage Knight also has hex tiles (and a few minis) that you uncover as you explore the land.

As has been mentioned, a good solo game needs to have a means to add a lot of variance. Apart from cards, I can only think of games that use dice and look-up tables to achieve that. Cards are imho, generally a more elegant solution.

TL;DR: Get Mage Knight! It's the best!

You recommend this while the OP has an aversion to cards? You need cards in this game to do anything.

Go PnP and choose: Barbarian Prince. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mid Ranger
msg tools
To everyone who has responded, thank you so much! I now have a whole list of games to check out; I'm watching play throughs and reviews. It's awesome that there are a plethora of cool games to choose from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Petomo wrote:

Did you even bother reading his post? He says he avoids card games but here you list two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"Arrange whatever pieces come your way." Virginia Woolf
mbmbmbmbmb
Also... lighter and faster play than what I recommended above, but still space theme, no cards, and solo:
Invaders from Dimension X! and the second in the series Space Vermin From Beyond!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MidRanger wrote:

What is it you don't like about card based games? As someone pointed out a lot of games use cards. It may help with recommendations.

For what it's worth I think Dawn of the Zeds (Third edition) is good. I'm not sure where you're located but if on the off chance it's Canada, there is a gentleman in Edmonton selling his copy at a discount.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walnut Grove
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Cunningham
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
There is a lot of info on solo games over at the 1 player guild.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Cunningham
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
JustinDJacobson wrote:
It uses cards but it's not really a "card game", and it's hands-down my favorite solo: Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island.

Oh, and if you're thinking about getting Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island (as I am) you might want to wait a month or so, as a new edition is due out soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mid Ranger
msg tools
BGG sure has a good forum. I'm going to be ordering some of the expertly suggested games soon; once again thank you to all who have taken the time to respond.

Print and play is a whole new world; my printer is churning out Utopia Engine as I type this.

To elaborate on why I'm avoiding card games; simply put the people I play games with are incapable of treating cards the way I do. The solution of course is to sleeve them, which I always have; thousands of them.

A time comes when one tires of sizing cards, buying sleeves, sleeving cards, storing cards and sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MidRanger wrote:
To elaborate on why I'm avoiding card games; simply put the people I play games with are incapable of treating cards the way I do. The solution of course is to sleeve them, which I always have; thousands of them.

A time comes when one tires of sizing cards, buying sleeves, sleeving cards, storing cards and sleeves.

But if it's a solo game then you'd be the only one using the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mid Ranger
msg tools
Yes, if it's a solo game it's a non-issue. The post was largely about games that allow for both solo and group play.

With some games costing nearly $100 and becoming increasingly hard to find new, protecting them during repeat group play becomes a concern.

I want to enjoy the time I spend playing games with other people. I don't want to have to wonder if it's the last time I'll be playing one of my favorite games with all it's elements intact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Themistoklis Dakanalis
Greece
Heraklion
Crete
flag msg tools
Avid Euro Gamer
badge
Novice Board Game Designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MidRanger wrote:
Hello everyone,
I prefer mature games that I can play with or without friends. Thank you for your expertise.

I suggest you Viticulture Essential Edition. It supports 1-6 players and it plays well with any number of players. If you would rather a more adventurous theme I suggest you Scythe.

The solo modes of both of the above game are based on Morten’s Automa Approach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Fleet Commander: Nimitz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.