Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Magic Realm» Forums » Strategy

Subject: How many ways to kill just ONE member of a native group? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Dean
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Say for example I only wanted to kill Murker 3.

How can I do that?

I can think of two ways, but I don't know if there are any others. The answer definitely depends in part on which optional rules you are playing with. I'm assuming I have "watchful natives" in play, as well as "ambush". But I'd like to hear any other ideas anybody might have, even with other rules in play, nor not in play.

Here are the two ideas I had:
1) Ambush Murker 3. Pretty simple.
2) Hire all the Murkers, then assign only Murker 3 and take him behind the wood shed, and attack.

Initially I had thought I could, even with a melee weapon, attack from hiding, kill Murker 3 but in the process reveal myself, then in round 2 attempt to run away or use some magic item that might teleport me away. But that would only work with monsters. With natives, once I choose Murker 3 as my target all the other Murkers attack. I do not get a free swing, as I would when attacking monsters. . . .

So, any other ideas?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rb lf
msg tools
Diggy18 wrote:

Initially I had thought I could, even with a melee weapon, attack from hiding, kill Murker 3 but in the process reveal myself, then in round 2 attempt to run away or use some magic item that might teleport me away. But that would only work with monsters. With natives, once I choose Murker 3 as my target all the other Murkers attack. I do not get a free swing, as I would when attacking monsters. . . .


But that's not really a problem, if you survive their first attack, you could run away in the second round.

Beside that I can think of some other ways:
1) Controlling (or becoming) a monster (better something like a T Dragon), killing Murker 3, and then just absorbing the hits, waiting 2 rounds for combat to end.
2)Hiring a naitive (the Knights and the Gurd are the best for this), and doing the same as in 1.
3) I'm not sure about this one, but if I recall corrrectly, there are effects allowing to cast power of the pit from a distant clearing, if there is, you could cast power of the pit on Murker 3, hoping to kill just him.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dean
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
111100006 wrote:


But that's not really a problem, if you survive their first attack, you could run away in the second round.

That'll be tough to survive attacks from all five remaining Murkers. I was trying to think of some spells or magic items you could use during the first round of combat that would help your survive two rounds of combat with five Murkers. Nothing was coming to mind.

111100006 wrote:
1) Controlling (or becoming) a monster (better something like a T Dragon), killing Murker 3, and then just absorbing the hits, waiting 2 rounds for combat to end.

Hey that's right! A tremendous armored monster can probably survive combat for two rounds. But one problem is that, unlike a player character, a monster has no option NOT to "play an attack". So, if you're the T Dragon, during those two rounds of combat you'll be forced to play the head counter and the body attack. You'll certainly kill a few more Murkers.

111100006 wrote:
2)Hiring a naitive (the Knights and the Gurd are the best for this), and doing the same as in 1.

I think hired native's in your service have the same problem as a T monster, i.e. they cannot refrain from attacking. I think more Murkers will die.


111100006 wrote:
3) I'm not sure about this one, but if I recall corrrectly, there are effects allowing to cast power of the pit from a distant clearing, if there is, you could cast power of the pit on Murker 3, hoping to kill just him.

Hmm, remote spell casting! That's sort of like an ambush attack, but using magic. In Realmspeak's Expansion 1, there is for example a Magic Missile spell that could target one specific Murker. That'd probably work. How do remotely spell cast?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dean
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't think he'd survive, but using the Black Knight I walked into the Murker's grassy hut and brained Murker 4. The resulting counter attack only cost me one wound and a destroyed shield. The Black Knight wouldn't survive two additional rounds, but if he'd had some magical assistance ( there's a potion that'll teleport you), he could have escaped at the beginning of the second round.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rb lf
msg tools
Yes, it's a problem to control a monster or hire a native, but I think using absorb essence will allow you to kill 1 native, and then just maneuvering.

Also, for the scenario of the Black Knight there are many options for how to end battle (The wish of peace and there is an elvan spell that'll work for example), so it's another option.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dean
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah that would be some interesting options requiring cooperation between characters.

The reason behind my asking is that I am building a quest and wanted there to be more than one way to achieve the final goal. Originally, when I had thought a hidden character could have one "free" track on natives, I envisioned the quest as being best suited for a fast player that might get the kill on round one, then flee on round two. But then I realized: 1) there's no such thing as a free attack on native's; 2) it's nigh impossible to get away from 5 angry Murkers (using the stumble table).

Hiring the Murkers then leading your target off into the swamps alone is still by far the easiest route, but the Murkers are usually only neutral and so they're expensive to hire. . . I just didn't want the quest to basically be a "pay to win" scenario, where your main objective is just to get enough gold to hire them before schwacking your objective.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.