1 , 2  Next »   | 

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Story Card - Rumrummers' Seasonal, version 2.0 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A while ago, I created a story card, The Rumrunners' Seasonal, to go with my White Lightning ship pack. I think this was before BLUE SUN came out, and definitely before KALIDASA was released.

I've done a revised version incorporating some of the newer options and adding a few new tweaks. Let me know what you think!

As you can see, this is a 3-goal "story" card similar to Harken's Folly or Jail Break. I know those aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoy them.

Although there are other options, this game is decidedly focused on Smuggling, but your route with take you through Alliance Space carrying Contraband - likely multiple times - so you're probably going to want to get the resources to protect yourself.

In the original version, GOAL 1 required completing 3 delivery jobs (Transport, Smuggling, or Shipping) and being Solid with at least one Contact that buys or sells Cargo or Contraband. I think the new version may be an easier way to accomplish the same thematic goal, while enforcing elements of risk (including a trek out to visit Lord Harrow and smuggling Contraband right under Harken's nose).

GOAL 2 adds a new element in making you pick up Contraband to be used as part of the next Goal. The intention here is to force some interesting decisions. Do you prepare in advance, getting the right ship upgrades and possibly making nice with Harken? DO you take the "long way around" from Georgia to Kalidasa, or do you throw caution to the wind and take the most direct route, hoping for the best?

GOAL 3 builds on the element introduced in Goal 2. If you come unprepared to fight Roarke, I hope you luck into some Salvage Ops, or else you're going to have to get creative for your second attempt at the final Goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
Elphame?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
D'oh! Elphame's not on the board is it? I was looking at Bill's Lost World version of the map. It's actually Ithaca - I just forgot to change the name after I realized Elphame didn't exist on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
tangent sidenote: I could never figure out why they put two planets (Ithaca and Priam) in the same sector. Gamewise, it makes no sense.

Though google brings up a couple pages mentioning that Priam and Ithaca are a double-planetary system, both of similar mass, with each more or less orbiting around each other. So I guess having both on the map in the same sector is essentially just for flavor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Coxon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think it looks like a very fun scenario! It appears to be primarily designed for anyone looking for a challenge where anything can happen, or for those times you want to be able to fully develop your ship and crew to their potential. Goal 2 may be pretty hard without bribes though -- maybe it would be better with negotiate around 6-8. Given the requirement to find the perfect job, the long distances to travel, the risks with the feds, the requirement to build all 3 skills, and the possible late game setbacks, I'd estimate overall play time for this story to be around 4 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the look of this - and I'm distinctly tempted to run it as my next PBF. How close to "finished" do you think it is right now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks, Roger! I'd love to see it run! Give it a few days for feedback and discussion, then I'll post a revised version and it'll be as final as I can get it - pending play testing.

John - a lot of what you say is true. I'll respond at more length when I'm on the computer rather than my phone and can quote better...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this. it's simple in concept with a lot of flavor. Nicely done.

"most favorite captain" ought probably by just "favorite captain".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Grammatically, yes. But for flavor...

"Ah, Malcolm Reynolds! My most favorite captain in the 'Verse!" (In my mind, Jorgensen is "played by" John Rhys-Davies, if that helps you picture it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
Scarbuck wrote:

I figured that phrasing was meant as thematic flavor. (a throwback to Vera being his "most favorite gun").

trivia sidenote: the birthname of actress Jayne Mansfield was Vera Jayne Palmer. I wonder if that's where the writers got the idea for the name of Jayne's gun, or if it was just coincidence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this type of story!

The "3 goal" story cards are actually my favourite.

I definitely want in on the PBF play test when it happens (though I know I've been in a lot, so maybe I won't be able to).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
Grammatically, yes. But for flavor...

"Ah, Malcolm Reynolds! My most favorite captain in the 'Verse!" (In my mind, Jorgensen is "played by" John Rhys-Davies, if that helps you picture it.)

I thought it might be. I retract my correction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
Scarbuck wrote:

I figured that phrasing was meant as thematic flavor. (a throwback to Vera being his "most favorite gun").

trivia sidenote: the birthname of actress Jayne Mansfield was Vera Jayne Palmer. I wonder if that's where the writers got the idea for the name of Jayne's gun, or if it was just coincidence.

Cool.

Likely deliberate.

So obscure. Love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles-David
Canada
Mascouche
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
“Happiness is nothing unless it exists side by side with sadness. Two sides. One coin” - 7th Doctor
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:

Hahaha! I can easily see him with a fez (just like Sallah).

I will definitely add this story card to our next game night.

Thank you sir.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I picture a fisherman's cap (in fact, I used the look for a different Crew card), but Fez does the job too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles-David
Canada
Mascouche
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
“Happiness is nothing unless it exists side by side with sadness. Two sides. One coin” - 7th Doctor
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! I like the "Topol - Fiddler on the Roof" vibe.

It works! Haha!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the Story Cards with... story too, and this one's got plenty. Seems to remind me of an episode of those What-If-Firefly-Hadn't-Been-Cancelled (I'm paraphrasing here) scripts Gwek wrote with others elsewhere.

Soltaris wrote:
Goal 2 may be pretty hard without bribes though -- maybe it would be better with negotiate around 6-8.

You could just keep target numbers as is and give FANCY DUDS or FAKE ID a +2 bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ha. Yes, it is indeed loosely based on the Virtual Firefly episode DOWNSTREAM.

In that, though, the crew is transporting fish from New Melbourne rather than rum. Same basic premise, though. And Jorgensen's there. Nice eye!

In fact, I'm pretty sure "most favorite captain" is picked up from that episode or one of his later appearances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Soltaris wrote:
I think it looks like a very fun scenario! It appears to be primarily designed for anyone looking for a challenge where anything can happen, or for those times you want to be able to fully develop your ship and crew to their potential. Goal 2 may be pretty hard without bribes though -- maybe it would be better with negotiate around 6-8. Given the requirement to find the perfect job, the long distances to travel, the risks with the feds, the requirement to build all 3 skills, and the possible late game setbacks, I'd estimate overall play time for this story to be around 4 hours.

I don't think I ever replied to this one.

Yeah, I think this could be a bit challenging, mostly because you could lose your Contraband at multiple times.

You're right about Goal 2. I actually intended to knock it down a bit -- but originally copied the numbers from Goal 3! (I was working "up" from the bottom of the card). I may put it to 8 or 9, or may keep it at 10 with a boost from maybe a FAKE ID.

I agree that this may take a little longer than an average game, but I don't know that it would be that dramatically different. The story only requires three jobs, although you'll likely need to knock out a 4th or so to get enough coin to pay off Goal 2. Still, I think it's largely in line with similar story cards (Harken's Folly, King of All Londinium...).

With respect to finding the perfect job (I assume you're referring to the smuggling job wiht one end in Alliance Space), there are over 40 jobs that meet this criteria, although they are largely spread across the various contacts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rowley
United Kingdom
Stafford
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see there is no mention of being Solid with Harken. Or even NOT being solid, now there's a thought! devil

Really useful for being able to ignore the pesky Customs Inspection Nav card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There just wasn't enough room! I DID at one point consider Solid with Harken as a requirement for the second Goal (if you're Solid with Harken, you can get through the door to talk to the corrupt guy, THEN you have to pay him off) but excluded it specifically because I don't want to force things to be easier. If someone wants to spend time to get Solid with Harken, good on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Coxon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:

I agree that this may take a little longer than an average game, but I don't know that it would be that dramatically different. The story only requires three jobs, although you'll likely need to knock out a 4th or so to get enough coin to pay off Goal 2. Still, I think it's largely in line with similar story cards (Harken's Folly, King of All Londinium...).

I guess I was comparing this with Patience's War. That one is estimated at 2-3 hours, and should play through faster than The Rumrunners' Seasonal. In both stories you'll need to complete additional jobs to afford the crew and gear necessary to make it through all the skill tests and misbehaves. With your story you'll need to build up all 3 skills instead of just fight. You're right that I may have been over-estimating the play time. Perhaps a straight 3 hours would have been more accurate.

Your story does look more fun to play than Patience's War. Everything fits in really well with firefly's 'verse too, and I have to commend you for your excellent flavor text and artistic presentation which is almost indistinguishable from something I'd expect to find in the original game box.

BTW is there a way to get this printed on something that feels like the original story cards? Is there a print service that does that, and what type of paper material would I choose?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
We've done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
badge
Ten percent of nothing is, let me do the math here, nothing into nothing, carry the nothin'...
mbmbmbmbmb
Soltaris wrote:
BTW is there a way to get this printed on something that feels like the original story cards? Is there a print service that does that, and what type of paper material would I choose?

One idea my group uses, get a hi-res scan of the Story Card and pull it up on your tablets/smartphones. Saves on printing expenses and makes it real easy to send to everyone with such devices. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soltaris wrote:

Depending on what software you have available, and how the card is sized when it's made, you might be able to print it straight form the jpg file. But you can also drop the image into Word, size it appropriately, and save it as a pdf.

Take that pdf to your local print shop, office supply, etc., and have them print it on heavy card stock. Fold it over at one of the edges of the card, and spray the back with a spray adhesive. Glue that "book" shut and put it under a flat weight for several hours to dry before you remove it and trim the edges. You should have something that feels like the original cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
But don't do it yet!

I'll be posting a version 2.1 later today, based on some of the conversation here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.