Popular Tags: [View All]
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay/nay? Will it work with two hands per player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
It works...
One thing I would recommend is instead of having TWO hands per player is allowing a player to play TWO cards per turn. That makes it more tense(because you're still limited to your health pool). It works, if you really want to play this game with two people, this is the way to do it and it gets the gameplay across fairly well.

Edit, removed my first unrelated answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
East Lyme
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Never enough of these to go around...
badge
Never cut a deal with this guy...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found it to be a pretty interesting 2 player game by playing the game as described in the rule book, with the only change being the blood echoes that each monster starts with.

I figured since in a 5 player game you would add 2 blood echoes to every new monster, 1 in a 4 player game, and nothing in a 3 player game, it would make sense to try to take away 1 blood echo from every new monster.

Having tried it out, I can say it was very brutal, but we both had a good time and it played pretty smooth also.

So, while maybe not the ideal way to play Bloodborne: The Card Game, I'd recommend giving this a try!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Belladonna
Canada
flag msg tools
I played with two players by controlling 2 characters (1 me, 1 enemy, 1 me, 1 enemy), and it actually was better than base game, lot of strategy. You just sum blood echoes at the end of the game, no rule changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Stoppiello
United States
Port Jefferson Station
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you mean by one 'enemy?' The rules don't seem to allow for PvP - unless you mean one hunter that specifically attempts to counter the attempts of the opposing player's 'personal' hunter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister Mister
msg tools
mb
My wife and I played last night, using what I guess would be a variation of the "play two cards per turn" rule suggested above.

Here's what we did:

Play the first part of the round like in the rule book until you get to the Hunter phase. Resolve the Hunter phase as normal, but then immediately play another Hunter phase. This somewhat mimicked having four players attacking the monster instead of two.

We also played with unlimited hand size as it eliminated the need to visit the Hunter's Dream very often due to playing twice as many cards per turn.

We also allowed for the drawing of one card from the Used pile at the end of each turn. This was also to reduce the need for playing Hunter's Dream often.

This all worked relatively well, but of course there are balance/rules problems. There are things I want to try for our next game to refine the idea.

First Problem: Early game enemies still escape easily due to the fact that even though two players can attack twice, they don't have the same card variety that four players would. (IE- Four players could do 8 damage on round one of a new game. Two players can only do 6 because they don't have enough 2-damage cards.)

Possible Solutions #1: Each player starts with 8 cards instead of 5. One of each of the Utility cards as normal, but two of each starting weapon. Eliminate the Draw phase at the end of the turn.

Possible Solutions #2: Each player regains the card used in the 1st Hunter phase and may reuse it in the 2nd Hunter phase. Cards used in the 1st Hunter phase then go to the Used pile and are only regained as in the normal game. Eliminate the Draw phase at the end of the turn.

2nd Problem: Playing a Hunter's Dream during Hunter phase 2 is a no-brainer because the enemy is already dead or near dead, especially later in the game. Also, it allows you to do damage to an enemy but still escape to the Hunter's Dream later in the turn. This also allowed for gaining a Trophy if the other player managed to kill the enemy.

Possible Solution: Hunter's Dream may only be played during Hunter phase 1. Hunters in the Dream do not participate in phase 2.

3rd Problem Late game became easy due to our unlimited hand size (I knew this would occur.)

Possible Solution: Limit hand size to 8 cards. This is only 1 more than the normal game but still means Hunters will only have 16 total cards at their disposal as opposed to 21 total cards for 3-players.

4th Problem Instant effect cards can be confusing when played during Phase 2. IE- Playing a Repeating Pistol after the enemy has already attacked and dealt damage.

Possible Solution: The Instant Effect ability of cards are only valid if played during Phase 1. IE- If Repeating Pistol is played during Phase 2, it's just a 2-damage Ranged Attack. The instant effect is ignored.

Special Consideration: Father Gascoigne is particularly nasty in two-player games. I would propose only losing the first weapon used by a Hunter in each round. This means you have to really decide if you want to take advantage of a weapon with an Instant Effect even if it means losing the weapon, since Phase 2 weapons are just weapons with no Instant ability.

I believe I'll implement each of the Solutions I outlined above for our next game, going with Solution 1 for the first problem. Hopefully this creates a more balanced game that is also easier to follow.

Let me know if you have any additional ideas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Carr
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering how the implementation worked with the suggested changes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.