Subject: Just loving this expansion too much! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Stone
Australia
Wavell Heights
Queensland
flag msg tools
Own all the expansions, only play two player games with my wife.
We have always loved this game, but never bothered with the additional rules like prestige, take-overs, orb, goals etc.

The exception is the Xeno invasion game.
This brings so much fun and depth to the game and is really not fiddly.

I'm wondering if we will ever go back to playing our usual Arc1 and Arc 2 games again... We will just miss those cursed Xenos too much...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
interesting. I've only played it one time, 2 player (been so hard to play again since I moved, hard to find RFTG fans where I am now. But when I played it, I immediately thought that it was the sort of thing that would be much better 4 players rather than 2. For 2 players, I much prefer arc 1 with all the stuff (prestige, takeovers).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the Invasion Scenario fiddly but enjoyable. Well, if constant punishment can be enjoyable. I think Agricola taught us that it can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meles meles
Poland
flag msg tools
What makes Xeno Invasion special when compared to other expansions ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Stone
Australia
Wavell Heights
Queensland
flag msg tools
The Xenos is what makes it special.
The cards are as interesting and the art is as cool as the other expansions, but having to defend off the waves of Xeno attacks is the most fun part.
It brings in a degree of combat which the theme of the entire series is needing, but its still not against each other, but rather against a united enemy.
It also allows a few more creative strategies to victory.
Worth giving it a few attempts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Wilson
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
bubblepipemedia wrote:
interesting. I've only played it one time, 2 player (been so hard to play again since I moved, hard to find RFTG fans where I am now. But when I played it, I immediately thought that it was the sort of thing that would be much better 4 players rather than 2. For 2 players, I much prefer arc 1 with all the stuff (prestige, takeovers).

Your profile says Austin, TX. If you ever make it to College Station you have a RFTG fan here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rain
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
b0rsuk wrote:
What makes Xeno Invasion special when compared to other expansions ?

In short: there is a good balance between strategies, and the cards are exciting. Also, the Invasion scenario is intense and strategically complex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meles meles
Poland
flag msg tools
Speaking of theme, does it make sense Xenos focus their attacks on players with largest military force ? Are they like Predator from the movie ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes sense to me. If they're trying to destroy all the players civilisations then focusing on the strongest is probably a good plan. If they took out the weakest first then that might give the stronger civilisations time to strengthen their positions and fend off the Xenos later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meles meles
Poland
flag msg tools
Are you suggesting strength of a civilization is measured in army strength ? Did Rome collapse because it didn't have enough soldiers ?

It goes completely against Sun Tsu's Art of War. You attack when you're sure of victory, otherwise you avoid conflict, wait, maneuver, forge alliances and plan for a better opportunity. Xenos attack blindly even if they're going to get smashed. If they attack only to lose, it means they're not acting rational, or their reconnaissance is terrible.

Besides, economical power goes a long way towards supporting a war. XI goes out of its way to reward economic contributions to the war effort. By attacking the economic powerhouses of (human?) civilization, Xenos could do great harm at little cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
b0rsuk wrote:
Are you suggesting strength of a civilization is measured in army strength?

True, but a civilisation with a strong military needs some kind of support, whether that's a good economy or a highly dedicated population. I agree that the civilisation that currently has the biggest military may not be the strongest long or medium term and may not have the biggest military

b0rsuk wrote:
If they attack only to lose, it means they're not acting rational, or their reconnaissance is terrible.

Humans aren't rational. The Xenos sound even less rational than us, since they are violently xenophobic. Plenty of wars in human history have at least on side behaving in an irrational way and having terrible reconnaissance. Whilst technology might be vastly better in RftG the challenges of reconnaissance across a galaxy is likely to be somewhat challenging even with jump drive.

b0rsuk wrote:
Besides, economical power goes a long way towards supporting a war. XI goes out of its way to reward economic contributions to the war effort. By attacking the economic powerhouses of (human?) civilization, Xenos could do great harm at little cost.

Indeed, maybe they aren't behaving in the most rational way (either out of a Predator like desire to fight the best opponents or thinking that the strongest military is always the biggest threat), maybe the military players are located nearer the Xenos (presumably any civilisation nearer the Xenos would rapidly start prioritising military), maybe the Xeno's reconnaissance is terrible or just better at picking up military powerhouses rather than economic powerhouses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Fiett
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
b0rsuk wrote:
If they attack only to lose, it means they're not acting rational, or their reconnaissance is terrible.

Mussolini had to be Xeno then, given his attack on Greece in 1940.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.