Subject: How is 7+ survivors? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just got Zombicide: Black Plague as a gift. I haven't played it yet, but played Zombicide Season 2 a few years ago. I host game nights where lots of folks show up and people often prefer to all play together in a single group (I wish they'd be more willing to break up into smaller groups, but oh well whistle). I have just learned (to my surprise) that Z:BP can officially support up to 12 players (with expansions). Has anybody tried playing with over 6 survivors? What does this do to playtime and difficulty? I imagine there would be a huge amount of downtime. Are "12 survivor" games really meant to be more for 6 players playing 2 survivors each?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only play ONCE with 10 players... is not of my like but some people do love it. I didn't like it much because most of the players I know are the very discussing tactic and ... well can you imaging on 12 people agreeing on what to do, without having an alpha player trying to dictate the game... whistle

I`m also used to play just me and my boyfriend so it was a huge change from that, with occasional friend on a 4 player to THAT.

THAT SAID I have seeing pretty big groups in my store game night (9 players) and as long as most know the rules, and don't argue too much on what to do. They look to have a blast. It doesn't happen often because the game goes up to 6h long.

I think the difficulty works well, is mostly adding spawn points. And I would advice to maybe put more abomination cards.

enjoy, just a personal opinion / preference. But hope it give you some useful info
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played an 8 player game recently, but we had the impression that adding that additional spawn messed balance up - we lost badly.

Although this is said after only one try. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for your response, Chang.

chang_1910 wrote:
THAT SAID I have seeing pretty big groups in my store game night (9 players) and as long as most know the rules, and don't argue too much on what to do. They look to have a blast. It doesn't happen often because the game goes up to 6h long.

You mean a 9-player games last up to 6 hours? Was this the case with your own 10-player game that you mentioned? Do typical games last as long the 1-3 hours that BGG says they do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hey...
IN MY EXPERIENCE.. games never last 1h.. they normally go for average of 3h. That said we play (me and my bf - 3 survivor each) and we play on the tactic-like side.
The game I played with 9 players was around 5h. Again people I play with, tend to be a bit more tactics.. think DnD RPG minded people playing boardgames.
THAT SAID one time I play with a group that just went ahead and kill everything and it was around 2.5h game, a survivor die and with some luck mission was won. Another time playing modern zombicide, someone went crazy after finding the chainsaw and the game was over in 30min (he went to orange while everyone else was barely leveling up, and then open a big building LOL LOL LOL it was sad and very funny LOL)

If you leave some things to chance / luck and people know the rule well game tend to be shorter. If you plan a lot regarding who goes before who and leave as little as possible to luck, planning position and such is longer.

sorry, that was a long reply. In short it depends a lot of gameplay style. But I would say that 1h would be quite rare, 2.5-3h being average. On games for 7+ games I cant say a good estimate because I have only played like that 1 time, so no sure if that was the norm or out of the curve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Don't make me exile you.
mbmbmbmbmb
We have done quite a few games with 8 heroes. However, to give each player "enough to do", we always play with two heroes each. That being said, I do think that when you play with more than 6, you would like to splash in wolves, or an extra necro, or what have you; or remove some of the lower numbered cards from the deck if you only have the base set, which will also increase difficulty.

I've tried games with more players, which adds to downtime, and far less satisfying games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another idea for a large group of people...design your own large map and have two groups starting at opposite ends of the board (perhaps long and narrow 2x5). Each group takes turns separate from the other group, syncing up when zombies spawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QorDaq H'Nter
msg tools
tlhIngan QujwI'
badge
vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
mbmbmbmbmb
longagoigo wrote:
Here's another idea for a large group of people...design your own large map and have two groups starting at opposite ends of the board (perhaps long and narrow 2x5). Each group takes turns separate from the other group, syncing up when zombies spawn.

This is something I've been wanting to try myself. Though ideally with three groups, each starting in a separate area (Map), which are "Linked" by a single tile.

Each group would have their own "Mission" but with at least one objective taking place in each of the other groups maps. And a final "Shared" objective in the common map (linking tile).

I actually want to try it with Zcide Modern first, since I currently have a lot more tiles for that. The semi-competitive alt rules for Rue Morgue is what originally inspired the idea... I have not had a chance to attempt it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
QorDaq wrote:
longagoigo wrote:

This is something I've been wanting to try myself. Though ideally with three groups, each starting in a separate area (Map), which are "Linked" by a single tile.

Each group would have their own "Mission" but with at least one objective taking place in each of the other groups maps. And a final "Shared" objective in the common map (linking tile).

I actually want to try it with Zcide Modern first, since I currently have a lot more tiles for that. The semi-competitive alt rules for Rue Morgue is what originally inspired the idea... I have not had a chance to attempt it yet.

Why not use either both sets of tiles or both sets of tiles/survivors using the vault doors/vault tiles as a time portal between the two worlds? Then the two maps could be on separate tables with the link between them being the vault, which is accessed through a vault door on each map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
longagoigo wrote:
Why not use either both sets of tiles or both sets of tiles/survivors using the vault doors/vault tiles as a time portal between the two worlds? Then the two maps could be on separate tables with the link between them being the vault, which is accessed through a vauld door on each map.

Well, in my case it would be because I don't have the modern tiles; but are the modern and black plague sets compatible rules-wise out of the box, or would it require house-ruling?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
longagoigo wrote:
Why not use either both sets of tiles or both sets of tiles/survivors using the vault doors/vault tiles as a time portal between the two worlds? Then the two maps could be on separate tables with the link between them being the vault, which is accessed through a vauld door on each map.

Well, in my case it would be because I don't have the modern tiles; but are the modern and black plague sets compatible rules-wise out of the box, or would it require house-ruling?

Close enough. Minimal house-ruling would be necessary.
You could use the characters from modern in black plague with almost no house-ruling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cooperton wrote:
wamsp wrote:
longagoigo wrote:

Close enough. Minimal house-ruling would be necessary.
You could use the characters from modern in black plague with almost no house-ruling.

It would be "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" situation, so you could either apply the appropriate set of rules to their map and figures (wherever they go) or house rule one set for all. I think I'd keep the rules, spawn decks and equipment decks separate, so each time period maintains its own personality. Weapons seached outside of your time could not be used, but could be passed to an appropriate hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bone White
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've played a few times with 5 players each controlling 2 survivors each. It's not much slower than playing with 1 survivor each. The problem ensues when people don't plan what they're doing in advance, so when their turn comes they immediately go "Err ok, what am I going to do?" rather than immediately get stuck in because they've been paying attention/planning.

A no-phones/tv rule is enforced at our games to keep the game moving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My go-to is 2 heroes per player. So I often play with more than 6 survivors. It works fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.