8 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Milestone rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Bajohrs
msg tools
mb
Some clarification the milestone for 16 cards in your hand please: Does not seem realistic to stock up 16 cards until the end of generation 3 spending 48 mega credits to get them in your hand. Or is the milestone being awarded for 16 cards in your tableau?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Grimm
Germany
Elsdorf
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

It is not as hard as it seems. With a good starting-hand with 10 cards, you can do it in round 2. In the first generation you only buy a ocean-tile (and the 10 cards) to get two additional card, in the 2nd generation you buy all 4 cards. That's it.
With a hand of 16 cards there should be a good combo within. :-)

Atti
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's cards in hand. See top of page 11 in the rules, and it's actually one of the quicker milestones you can claim of the five if you do as Oliver describes above. Three greeneries or three cities usually takes a some more generations before you can claim them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Schuber
msg tools
mbmbmb
Believe me, I often had a problem in my solo sessions where I have TOO MANY cards in my hand. I could reach this milestone easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. In my solo games so far, I find myself not keeping very many cards because they either aren't good for that point in the game, or I really need my money to play the cards I already have. I think the most cards in hand I've had is around 6-7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's all about what strategy you use. Sometimes it's worth spending a generation early to collect cards for later use rather than play cards, but everything depends on the cards and combos available. Some cards are better than others.

What you loose at start by holding on to cards and buying more rather than playing is returned later when you might be able to play a card or two more in the later rounds instead of buying cards them. With a hand of only 6-7 cards, I would feel very limited to adapt my play to what's happening in the game. Contrary to that, a TR early in the game is worth more than a TR late as it's part of your generation income as well.

This game can be played in so many different ways and still, players often end up with one or two points difference at final score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christof
Germany
Hirschberg
flag msg tools
But it's not as easy as Oliver states, because you only get 10 cards for free when you play a beginner corporation. With a normal corporation you often simply can't afford all 10 cards and even if you could buy all of them you normally would not want all of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmb
Maybe your strategy is to buy Cards to get that milestone, then change to a strategy working for that heap of cards. 2 M€ (as you can sell a card for 1M€) per card to get 5 VP, therefore buy cards you don't need at the moment. And as well, those cards could make the difference at the end.

If you normally buy 5 of the first 10 and then 2 of first 4, you pay 14 M€ extra to secure/get 5 vp. That is cheap vp.

To buy the first 10 cards, you pay 30 M€, a ocean tile for 18 M€ and then you get 21 M€ to buy then next 4 cards for 12 M€. This means it's doable if you start with 48 M€ or more. Sure, you will be behind in some aspects, but you already got 1 TR and 5 VP during two generations. Bad cards can be used in other ways. All cards has some positive effects for you.

And the best thing is that if this strategy isn't your cup of tea, you don't need to use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.