Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kris Giesing
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

Those of you who follow the boardgame industry may be aware that Valley Games has dissolved. I don't know if an official notice was ever given, but I've confirmed with the former owners that it is gone, and with it the legal agreement between Valley Games and Dauba-Dauba Enterprises, the sole proprietorship under which I've been publishing Titan HD.

The agreement to publish the game came to Valley Games from Jason McAllister, the sole remaining designer retaining copyright on the game's rules, and from Kurt Miller and Mike Doyle, who created the reprint's artwork. The artwork was created under contract, and Valley Games verbally transferred to me the right to continue using it for electronic versions of Titan; while I have a separate verbal agreement with Jason Mcallister to continue development using the Titan rules.

In short, then, I plan to continue to develop Titan HD under the sole direction of Dauba-Dauba Enterprises. The final transfer of the iOS app on the App Store occurred a few months ago; Titan 2.5.6 will be the first release not associated with Valley Games. You'll notice a few minor changes to the main screen to reflect this, and the publisher identity on the iOS App Store will change.

I'm sorry to see Valley Games go. Although not the most successful publishing venture, the owners were (hopefully, still are) genuine fans of the genre. And if nothing else, they opened the door to resurrecting one of my all-time favorite games, and allowed me the chance to give something back to its community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan kilgore
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for continuing on with the game. If players need a challenge due to some weak AI they can always add another opponent at higher difficulty level. Don't worry that its not fun because it is!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bernstein
United States
Palatine
Illinois
flag msg tools
Yes, thank you for continuing development of the game that I play every day!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The owners were actually scumbags, who ripped a lot of fans of the genre off...

But, good luck in your new venture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah Valley Games is gone...so is all the money they took from people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O.Shane Balloun
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
I will play as the Atreides, Bene Gesserit, Emperor, Fremen, Guild, or Harkonnen.
badge
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
mbmbmbmbmb
kgiesing wrote:
Hello everyone,

Those of you who follow the boardgame industry may be aware that Valley Games has dissolved. I don't know if an official notice was ever given, but I've confirmed with the former owners that it is gone, and with it the legal agreement between Valley Games and Dauba-Dauba Enterprises, the sole proprietorship under which I've been publishing Titan HD.

The agreement to publish the game came to Valley Games from Jason McAllister, the sole remaining designer retaining copyright on the game's rules, and from Kurt Miller and Mike Doyle, who created the reprint's artwork. The artwork was created under contract, and Valley Games
verbally transferred to me the right to continue using it for electronic versions of Titan; while I have a separate verbal agreement with Jason Mcallister to continue development using the Titan rules.

In short, then, I plan to continue to develop Titan HD under the sole direction of Dauba-Dauba Enterprises. The final transfer of the iOS app on the App Store occurred a few months ago; Titan 2.5.6 will be the first release not associated with Valley Games. You'll notice a few minor changes to the main screen to reflect this, and the publisher identity on the iOS App Store will change.

I'm sorry to see Valley Games go. Although not the most successful publishing venture, the owners were (hopefully, still are) genuine fans of the genre. And if nothing else, they opened the door to resurrecting one of my all-time favorite games, and allowed me the chance to give something back to its community.

<cringe>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pratt
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Just admit it already, Small World is not a fantasy wargame...it's a Mancala variant!
mbmbmbmbmb
grammatoncleric wrote:
kgiesing wrote:
Hello everyone,

The agreement to publish the game came to Valley Games from Jason McAllister, the sole remaining designer retaining copyright on the game's rules, and from Kurt Miller and Mike Doyle, who created the reprint's artwork. The artwork was created under contract, and Valley Games
verbally transferred to me the right to continue using it for electronic versions of Titan; while I have a separate verbal agreement with Jason Mcallister to continue development using the Titan rules.

<cringe>

What could go wrong? I mean it is with Valley Games after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
grammatoncleric wrote:
kgiesing wrote:
Hello everyone,

<cringe>

How can this person be serious? Or taken seriously from here?

Why do people in this tiny industry keep doing these things, and not learn from what has gone before?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG! This is unreal... You accepted a verbal agreement from these jokers? Wow. Hope you have attorney fees figured into your business plan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Look we might be valley haters (imho for good reason) but if someone has agreements in place for the art and the game design then they are good.

Of course the fact the agreements are verbal makes things a little tougher to document...

and who knows if someone else actually owns the properties...And that where things get really messy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
also note the version is 2.5.6 -- so what would you propose for him to do? Just take the game off the market? Cause VG doesn't exist anymore? Its not like he just started developing the app yesterday, its a mature product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what the doomsday predictor are trying to say is that we REALLY appreciate that you are keeping this game current (and available) and we REALLY hope you do not have any trouble related to a verbal contract with people of less then stellar reputation.

I know I would be unhappy if this game stops working. I know I would also be happy if you guys redid D-Day Dice and made a version of Airborne in Your Pocket.

Continued best wishes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Sun Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the work you've done on your App, and I'm glad to hear you are going to continue to support it. However...

kgiesing wrote:
I'm sorry to see Valley Games go. Although not the most successful publishing venture, the owners were (hopefully, still are) genuine fans of the genre.

...I know some 3,000+ people, myself included, that would beg to differ on that statement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
I think what the doomsday predictor are trying to say is that we REALLY appreciate that you are keeping this game current (and available) and we REALLY hope you do not have any trouble related to a verbal contract with people of less then stellar reputation.

No, what I and others were trying to say is what we actually said. If it was unclear let me make it crystal clear. Making a verbal agreement in a business deal is not wise. Making a verbal agreement with people who have screwed hundreds of people out of hundreds of thousands of dollars is downright dumb. I don't care if your intentions are as pure as the freshly fallen snows. That doesn't make it any the more wiser.

I'm a small business owner and have been for close to 20 years. I talk with other small business owners all the time. So I say this from experience. I have seen people lose their businesses, livelihoods and homes because they did stuff just like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry my attempt at humor fell so flat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
If it was unclear let me make it crystal clear. Making a verbal agreement in a business deal is not wise. Making a verbal agreement with people who have screwed hundreds of people out of hundreds of thousands of dollars is downright dumb.

I think you're getting carried away over nothing. In the unlikely event there's some dispute over rights, he can just take the app down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.