Question 5

Possible answers wrote:

A) The Spring Snowman
B) The Extinguisher Djinn
C) The Domino Stonehenge
D) The Ladybug Car
E) The Legged Submarine

BGG Contest wrote:
Q5: Codenames: Pictures was big team effort. Illustrations were drawn by five artists – three from the Czech Republic – Czech artists – Jana Kilianová, Tomáš Kučerovský and Michal Suchánek, and also David Cochard and Filip Neduk. Above is a picture of each artist. The idea for each of these pictures was suggested by a different person.

- Exactly two of these pictures were ideas of the artists that drew them, and they are ones next to the other on the picture above.

- The picture drawn by the French artist was suggested by someone else.

- Three of the people we talk about in this question work for CGE digital: Dávid, Vlaada and Jana.

- Exactly one of these pictures was suggested by a female.

- The picture suggested by a designer who has created multiple CGE board games before was drawn by an artist who has done art for multiple CGE board games before.

- The Djinn was suggested neither by Vlaada nor by his daughter Alenka.

- One picture was both suggested by a person working for CGE digital and drawn by a person working for CGE digital.

- The picture drawn by the author of Adrenaline was not suggested by a Czech person.

- The picture suggested by Alenka was drawn by a Czech artist. It is more to the left than the picture suggested by her dad.

- The picture drawn by Michal is to the right of the picture that was finished on 7th June.

- Do not mess it up: David is French, Dávid is Slovak. Neither of them participated in a picture portraying any vehicle.

Which of these pictures was drawn by Tomáš Kučerovský?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the contest is closed now, so maybe I can explain a bit, trying to keep a structure that is somewhat able to be followed in a only written format (actually solving them is a bit more chaotic in my brain and on paper )

First lets number the clues for reference (which I'll always give in (*) format)
Quote:

0) Illustrations were drawn by five artists – three from the Czech Republic – Czech artists – Jana Kilianová, Tomáš Kučerovský and Michal Suchánek, and also David Cochard and Filip Neduk.
1) Exactly two of these pictures were ideas of the artists that drew them, and they are ones next to the other on the picture above.
2) The picture drawn by the French artist was suggested by someone else.
3) Three of the people we talk about in this question work for CGE digital: Dávid, Vlaada and Jana.
4) Exactly one of these pictures was suggested by a female.
5) The picture suggested by a designer who has created multiple CGE board games before was drawn by an artist who has done art for multiple CGE board games before.
6) The Djinn was suggested neither by Vlaada nor by his daughter Alenka.
7) One picture was both suggested by a person working for CGE digital and drawn by a person working for CGE digital.
8) The picture drawn by the author of Adrenaline was not suggested by a Czech person.
9) The picture suggested by Alenka was drawn by a Czech artist. It is more to the left than the picture suggested by her dad.
10) The picture drawn by Michal is to the right of the picture that was finished on 7th June.
11) Do not mess it up: David is French, Dávid is Slovak. Neither of them participated in a picture portraying any vehicle.

Which of these pictures was drawn by Tomáš Kučerovský?

So we already know what the pictures are and all the artist, a third categorie we need to find out is who gave the suggestions:

- The people that show up in the clues that are not among the artists are: Vlaada (3), Alenka (9) and a second but distinct Dávid (11).

- In addition we know that the other two suggestion givers are 2 of the artists themselves (1), we just have to figure out who those are:

- We can exclude David Cochard, because he is French (11) so his picture was suggested by someone else (2) (and knowing CGE games from (5) we can also pretty much tell it was Vlaada).

- We can also exclude Jana, because Alenka gave a suggestion and only one person giving a suggestion was female (4).

- We can also say that Dávid suggested the picture for Jana, because of clue (7) and (3), because we deduced previously that Vlaada suggested the picture of David, which leaves Dávid and Jana from CGE digital and we also already know that Jana didn't suggest her own picture, so it was Dávid that suggested hers.

- At this point we can start looking at the pictures: Neither David (together with Vlaada) nor Dávid did anything with a vehicle (11) (so car and submarine), which leaves only the 3 leftmost pictures.

- Vlaada (and therefore David) also didn't do the Djinn (6), which leaves only picture 1 and 3 and we know Alenka's picture is left of Vlaada's (9) which also excludes the first (as there is nothing left of it). So now we have a fixpoint, which is David and Vlaada with the dominos in the middle.

- We also know Alenka has to be to the left of it and not the Dschinn, leaving the snowman for her with the artist being either Tómas or Michal, because it is a Czech person (9/0) and we know that Jana's was suggested by Dávid

- we also know that the picture drawn by Michal is to the right of some other picture (10) which does exclude the leftmost picture for him and leaves Alenka with the artist Tómas and as this is who was asked for in the riddle we are basically already at our solution

(based on the other clues you can pretty much also solve the exact combinations for the other pictures, but I've found this point to be enough to actually answer the question.)

And just for clarity the solution is:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
the Snowman on the very left

I hope I didn't mess up anything going through it again quickly and trying to do so in a somewhat logical way. If not, please someone correct me, but at least according to my contest result the answer should be correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlaada Chvatil
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Quote:
I hope I didn't mess up anything going through it again quickly and trying to do so in a somewhat logical way. If not, please someone correct me, but at least according to my contest result the answer should be correct.

Good job, Kerstin

Quote:
- We can exclude David Cochard, because he is French (11) so his picture was suggested by someone else (2) (and knowing CGE games from (5) we can also pretty much tell it was Vlaada).

Actually, Tomáš Kučerovský also illustrated multiple CGE games (Galaxy Trucker, Bunny Bunny Moose Moose, Last Will, Prodigals Club), so I could suggest also the picture for Tomáš. But in this case, I didn't

The official solution (with is pretty much the same, except an extra bonus image) can be found here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks
Always looking forward to your contests, because of the riddles you put in there.

Vlaada wrote:

Actually, Tomáš Kučerovský also illustrated multiple CGE games (Galaxy Trucker, Bunny Bunny Moose Moose, Last Will, Prodigals Club), so I could suggest also the picture for Tomáš. But in this case, I didn't

I knew he did Galaxy Trucker, but I actually didn't know he did the others (apologies to the artist then), but luckily it still worked out then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.