23 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Clash of Cultures vs. Dominant Species rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Reyes
msg tools
Hello, everybody!

My name is Kevin, and I'm studying to be a Biologist.

This is my issue: I played Civilization V on the PC and I loved it, so I decided to buy Civilization: The Board Game, and I bought it. I really liked it, and it was succesful among my friends.

Recently, I decided that I would buy Clash of Cultures, because a lot of people like it and compare it to Civ, and honestly I really like the strategy and the little figures and all, so I wanted to give it a try.

But... while I was on YouTube looking for a Clash of Cultures review I found one video about Dominant Species and couldn't help getting excited about it. As a student of Biology, I find Dominant Species exciting, and I like all the little references about the natural world. The problem here is that I don't have enough money to buy both of them, so I have to make a decision.

I know that they're very different type of games, as for theme and strategies, but currently this causes me a problem.

So, I need your help guys. I like the developement of cities and civilizations, I just love how they pass from being a little encampment to be a huge empire, capable of conquering the whole world. On the other hand, I loved the crazy and frenetic gameplay of Dominant Species, it is as chaotic as the real world, I find it very entertaining and well-designed. One thing that I've read is people saying that DS is very heavy or that it demands a lot of attention. I want a challenge, but I don't want to spend my money on a game that people wont't play.

I don't want to be rude, or seem exigent, but please, avoid ambiguity. Tell me, which one should I buy, and why is it better than the other?

Thank you so much for reading. Sorry for the bad English. Have a nice day

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Dominant Species. CoC is just an average Civ game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I like both games a lot (prefer Dominant, though). DS is a 3-4 hour investment (although, it it possible to artificially shorten that). It's very think-y, and it is on the heavier side, although the base rules aren't super complex. So just know what you're getting into.

I've never played Civilization, but I would be concerned that CoC is too similar to it. If you do go with Clash, just make sure they're different enough that they don't feel same-y. Also, with Clash, if you want each player to be a unique civ from history, you have to buy the expansion, which is out of print and therefore is fetching a huge price on the secondary market.

So, all of that said, my recommendation is for Dominant, to add diversity into your collection. But, also know it plays better at higher player counts (although anything over 2 works well).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Persin
Croatia
flag msg tools
DS is really good. RUles are more or less not that complicated, but it gives that nice brain twich about options it presents you. How to screw others, not get screw yourself, utilize best you can advantage your species gives you etc.
You won't regreat it, especially if you have people willing to ivnest time for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowless11 wrote:
I like both games a lot (prefer Dominant, though). DS is a 3-4 hour investment (although, it it possible to artificially shorten that). It's very think-y, and it is on the heavier side, although the base rules aren't super complex. So just know what you're getting into.

I think this is pretty misleading. It's not 4 hours, never ever ever in my experience, and I tend to drag things long. No game I've played has even hit 3. 2.5 max, less when you play a 4p game with experienced players.

You should be aware of Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization as a civ fan. Minus the board, this mirrors PC Civ very very well. and a 4p game of this CAN take 4 hours. So don't ever do that!

CoC was ... fine ... a pile of mechanisms that fitted together fine, but essentially despite it's scale I found it pretty forgettable. Dominant Species though, is fricking brilliant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:

CoC was ... fine ... a pile of mechanisms that fitted together fine, but essentially despite it's scale I found it pretty forgettable. Dominant Species though, is fricking brilliant.

Exactly that.
My only game was...meh. I won with being totally passive. There was no reason to fight, at all. Maybe it would have been more fun or more tense if I would have raged around the board but the two players that did that (one tried to conquer everything and the other eventually started to fight him back and tried it himself) had half my points.

DS, like others said before, is a very heavy, very thinky game. And it is long and it is highly confrontational.
But it is beautifully simple, very well designed and easy to understand.

Between these two my vote goes to DS without the slightest doubt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few members of my gaming group are big Civ fans and they love Dominate Species. I had a chance to finally play a game of it last month and while I typically am not a fan of these type of games I really enjoyed DS. They crushed me, but I left wanting to play it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoran
United Kingdom
London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DS. It's Sid Meier's Civ by FFG that you have? That's a better experience than Clash. You won't get that small beginnings to empire arc from CoC.

Edit: plus you're in to biology.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you already own a big civ building game, I would go for Dominant Species because that's something different.

Also, since you are a biology student, have you heard about Evolution or Evolution: Climate? It was featured in Nature as a game that best captures the chaos and feeling of real-life evolution process. Also, it is much cheaper than Dominant Species. You could get Evolution and Imperial Settlers (civ building card game) for the price of DS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love DS, have never played Clash, but I have played a 6er of DS with some AP prone people who were learning the game and we broke 4 hours. Now I usually randomly take some cards out of the deck before the start of the game to manually adjust the game length. The cards are the only timer so it's a pretty easy adjustment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Temelin wrote:
I love DS, have never played Clash, but I have played a 6er of DS with some AP prone people who were learning the game and we broke 4 hours. Now I usually randomly take some cards out of the deck before the start of the game to manually adjust the game length. The cards are the only timer so it's a pretty easy adjustment.

Yes, and the board state after what... 4 rounds isn't necessarily that different to a more typical length of 6 rounds. There are a few substantial end game scoring elements, but it's mostly a case of doing your thing through out the entire game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
esed wrote:

Also, since you are a biology student, have you heard about Evolution or Evolution: Climate? It was featured in Nature as a game that best captures the chaos and feeling of real-life evolution process. Also, it is much cheaper than Dominant Species. You could get Evolution and Imperial Settlers (civ building card game) for the price of DS.

The Nature review was crappy as it only compared three mediocre games, so it was not a surprise Evolution could win. DS a much superior game, and American Megafauna (or Bios:Megafauna) better from the science side. Why get something cheaper that is much less the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CarlosSpicyweener wrote:
Exactly that.
My only game was...meh. I won with being totally passive. There was no reason to fight, at all. Maybe it would have been more fun or more tense if I would have raged around the board but the two players that did that (one tried to conquer everything and the other eventually started to fight him back and tried it himself) had half my points.

If a player is left alone in a 3-player game while the other two beat on each other, that's a player issue and not a game issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mi_de wrote:
esed wrote:

The Nature review was crappy as it only compared three mediocre games, so it was not a surprise Evolution could win. DS a much superior game, and American Megafauna (or Bios:Megafauna) better from the science side. Why get something cheaper that is much less the game?

Sometimes people just don't to play 4h games. I was just pointing at a shorter alternative. Sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
esed wrote:
mi_de wrote:
esed wrote:

Sometimes people just don't to play 4h games. I was just pointing at a shorter alternative. Sorry.

Dominant Species is NOT a 4 hour game.

It's also really not very thematic TBH, the bioligy connection is pretty weak and IF that's a prime driver, Evolution, or March of the Ants which I preferred as a similar theme, are better subject matter. But no where near as good a game in either case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slaven Karakas
Croatia
Osijek
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Since I played both I have to say I'd choose Clash of Cultures. I spent countless hours playing Civilization 1-5 and now I'm expecting 6. I like the early age where you explore, collect resources and build your first settlements. CoC is that kind of a game with a lot faster and more enjoyable experience than Sid Meier's Civilization the Board Game. Dominant Species is an excellent game and I think if you are a Biologist you would really like it. But most important fact about both games: DS got it's 4th reprint and CoC only 2 and has a major problem if you like buying whole collections since it's expansion is really hard to come by and is really expensive. Overall in terms of general enjoyment I prefer CoC, but for reasons above I'd suggest you should buy DS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
No good will come of this, mark my words!
badge
mbmb
I much much much prefer Clash of Cultures.

Dominant Species is not a bad game, but it's not as unique, takes too long, and has a few other flaws (for me).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're a fan of de facto elimination in a four hour game that doesn't even give you something nice to look at while you wait for it to end, Dominant Species is what you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarnop wrote:
If you're a fan of de facto elimination in a four hour game that doesn't even give you something nice to look at while you wait for it to end, Dominant Species is what you need.

If you can get de facto eliminated in DS, you're playing very very badly. I have won multiple times where I had less than 4 (or even zero!!) cubes on the map halfway through the game.

That said I love CoC, it's definitely more thematic than DS, but CoC is a bit more random in combat, and a lot more plannable (therefore more AP prone) in the planning than DS, so to me DS plays more smoother (and with 4 players faster than CoC). Basically, I love em both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
CarlosSpicyweener wrote:
Exactly that.

If a player is left alone in a 3-player game while the other two beat on each other, that's a player issue and not a game issue.

It was a 4-player game and the 4th player did the same as I did. But at some point he started attacking on strategic relevant positions and that cost him the game because he was ahead of me but because of this fighting I managed to sneak victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TDaver wrote:
If you can get de facto eliminated in DS, you're playing very very badly. I have won multiple times where I had less than 4 (or even zero!!) cubes on the map halfway through the game.

Perhaps the players who clearly had no chance of winning after a couple of turns were playing badly. I know that I was left with no desire to improve, because to do so I would have to suffer through another play of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Reyes
msg tools
Thank you all for being so nice and replying my post; unfortunately, the offers that I had considered on Amazon have finished, and now all the options available for both the games are very expensive for me. I tried to look for them both on eBay, but it happens that I live in Mexico and importation and shipping costs are very high. Also, they're not available at any local store, so I won't be able to buy any of them.

I'm opening a new thread to get recommendations for games, thank you all. Good day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like dominant species more. But this is like . . . a 9.2 vs a 8.9 or something. I'm pretty sure I rate them both 9.

Just keep your eye out for them and pick them up when you can.

Age of Empires III is like a lighter DS, and something I also like a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.